Can a 10 SEER unit still be sold?

Getting bids on replacement furnace, new central air with old octopus ductwork in basement being re-done. I have posted a thread concerning the bids once already but this concerns the AC unit of one bidder. My understanding from what I have read on this forum is that a 13 SEER minumum standard was to have gone into effect but that the new standard was washed down to a 12 SEER minimum that went into effect in 2006. The small shop guy who's bid includes alot more ductwork to address issues (current set up is cold air returns at the outside walls, warm air at the inside walls) but has spec'd a 3 ton 10 SEER Tappan w/3 ton coil. His is an authorized dealer and might have a stock pile of older but new AC units. He also bid a Tappan 92% AFUE 2 stage furnace with an excellent warranty. Can he legally sell this AC unit or not? Thanks

yes he can. They are just not making them anymore and are getting hard to come by.

I think just about all the 10 seer units have been snatched up.
    you cant find them at all in southern cal unless you want a 3ph unit.

Quote Originally Posted by robc in WI View Post
    Getting bids on replacement furnace, new central air with old octopus ductwork in basement being re-done. I have posted a thread concerning the bids once already but this concerns the AC unit of one bidder. My understanding from what I have read on this forum is that a 13 SEER minimum standard was to have gone into effect but that the new standard was washed down to a 12 SEER minimum that went into effect in 2006. The small shop guy who's bid includes a lot more ductwork to address issues (current set up is cold air returns at the outside walls, warm air at the inside walls) but has spec'd a 3 ton 10 SEER Tappan w/3 ton coil. His is an authorized dealer and might have a stock pile of older but new AC units. He also bid a Tappan 92% AFUE 2 stage furnace with an excellent warranty. Can he legally sell this AC unit or not? Thanks
    Tappan sales may be a little slower than some other brands, therefore, some seer-tens' are still available. Sure looks like a Maytag.

Here in WI the AC season is short, and the 10-seer performs very well here.
    If you go the route I personally would install a 13 or 14-seer R-22 coil with a TXV metering device.

Get a good heat-load going through that evaporator & that will make the larger compressor-to-tonnage transfer more heat out of the conditioned space. That should increase its efficiency during its run-time.

Do NOT over-size the system; do manual's J, S & D!
    http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...g_systems.html

- udarrell
    Last edited by udarrell; 10-03-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Ductwork link

Thanks for the info udarrel, I spoke to the 2nd bidder at length tonight and he concurred with you and actually already spec'd an upgraded coil to bring the SEER up to a 12. It is an R-22 unit but he has stockpiled several large cylinders of R-22 and has 4 of these 10 SEER units that were produced in 2006. He feels that the WI cooling season is too short for a higher SEER AC unit to pay for itself. He buys sheets of metal and builds his own ducts. Lots of pride in his work and he has steered me away from the high end (and pricey) variable speed furnace that the Bryant guy is pushing due to the age, ducting, insulation factors of my house. Both the furnace and AC have a 10 year parts warranty and full unit replacement warranty, also for 10 years. I feel comfortable that this is the right man for a high quality install.

Sounds like a winner to me... he seems to be a good contractor concerned about your comfort and satisfaction. Tappan is known for their great warranties.