Need to download DVD on hvac careers

Going to speak to a high school careers class next week. Never done this b4. Need tips, advice, videos, etc......

Help me get started in a new area.

Have laptop, will travel.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

I don't want to just stand in front of them and ramble off some boring 50 minute speel. I want to get them involved someway. Play hvac monopoly or some hvac trivia or whatever.....
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

i have always said that all these schools on the first day should

Line up about ten lunch tables and then hand all the students a cement block and have them drag it under all the desks. This way when they come to thier first crawl with a furnce or air handler they have an idea of what it is like right off.

He wants to encourage them to start an HVAC career. He's not trying to make them run to McD's for a counter job.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    He wants to encourage them to start an HVAC career. He's not trying to make them run to McD's for a counter job.

yea i guess your right on this one

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wiggins View Post
    I don't want to just stand in front of them and ramble off some boring 50 minute speel. I want to get them involved someway. Play hvac monopoly or some hvac trivia or whatever.....
    I a Carrieropoly game,but I don't think that will help. lol

ARI site may have some stuff .

Hollywood Squares

Check out this site and down load the HollyWood Squares game. If you have the time write up so witty questions and answers and make it into the HVAC/R Squares Game. I would think it could be a fun way to introduce the trade and help the students realize how important our trade is to every day life.

I've used this several times for review with my college students. If you email me I could send you a blank copy of the game I start out with.

http://jc-schools.net/tutorials/PPT-games/

Scroll down this page to get to the "*** Squares" games.
    keep your ice cold and flame hot

Steve, here are some ideas that make sense to me: IMO you should emphasize that HVAC is work that always is done in the USA, impossible to outsource it offshore. Seems obvious to me you gotta emphasize the toughness of guys who crawl up in summer Texas attics. And when to admit you are in danger and it's best to knock out someone's ceiling to stay alive. The hero aspect of saving someone's Grandma from possible heatstroke or worse, if her AC craps out at just the wrong time. Talk about the pros and cons of working for a bigger company, vs. striking out on your own business. Maybe talk a bit about the old technology vs. the new stuff you see coming in the future.

If the audience is like I think it is, one of these ideas will catch on and they will be asking you enough questions to fill the time and then some.

Best of luck -- Pstu

http://jc-schools.net/tutorials/PPT-games/

Thats a cool link but I can't figure out how to play

Play the ASHRAE "License to Chill" rap video!

http://www.ashrae.org/students/page/951
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

OMG you just hit a homerun buddy! Thanks Mark!

Last edited by Steve Wiggins; 10-01-2007 at 09:41 AM.