Honeywell Truesteam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honeywell Truesteam

Has anyone installed this? I need a RELIABLE whole house humidifier for a Heat Pump conditioned condo in
    the Atlanta area. After searching for data on this site, I am led to believe most pros' tend to avoid anything but high end STEAM systems for reliability. I recently saw the Truesteam system and wondered if it might provide a cheaper solution for my needs.

Thanks.

Don't know anything about the truesteam unit.

We use EWC Autoflo steam humidifiers.
    They are very reliable, have an auto flush timer, don't scale up as quick as many other units. Can add moisture weather or not the stat is calling for heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Currently: Denver Colorado area, Previously: East Coast to West Coast + many cities in between.
    Lackster . . .

Where did you see the Honeywell TrueSteam?

Are you an HVAC-Talk Professional member and if not why not?
    Alex

Response...

beenthere-

Yes, I saw several posts on this site recommending the EWC unit. I checked out their web site; it's sweet! However, it IS expensive. I thought Honeywell had developed a less costly alternative in the Truesteam; check the link below...

alexw-

No, I'm just a homeowner who checks availability of various devices before spending money having it installed. I was searching the Honeywell site and found this:

http://customer.honeywell.com/Honeywell/UI/Pages/Catalog/ModelCategory.aspx?Catalog=Homes&Category=TrueSTEA M_76979&ChannelID=%7b2EB2F178-20ED-44E0-97FB-CCFB4218DD64%7d[/URL]

Hope this helps...By the way, judging from the number of responses, I'm guessing the is new to the market.

Currently: Denver Colorado area, Previously: East Coast to West Coast + many cities in between.

TrueSteam

Lackster . . .

I suggest you wait for at least three months before installing a humidifier. A steam humidifier my be the best thing for you; however, the TrueSteam is not shipping yet and may or may not be the best thing for you.

Before installing any humidifier it is a good idea to know what your water quality is. High dissolved mineral content is very hard to deal with and causes significant maintenance challenges with humidifiers.

Things to know before installing a humidifer
    1) Water quality
    2) Size of house
    3) Number of floors
    4) Number of air handlers/furnaces and fan/blower types
    5) Drain availability
    6) Water supply availability
    7) Where can/should the humidifier be installed. (not where leaking water can do damage)
    Alex

Truesteam shipping in November

I attended Honeywell's Forward Thinking event at Comfortech where they launched the new TrueSteam humidifier and TrueZone zoning panel. It was a great event. The day went by fast - they are launching a ton of cool new products, that solve a ton of age old problems. Ask anyone that attended - seemed all were very impress with what Honeywell is working on these days.

TrueSTEAM is starting to ship in November. Indicated water issues won't be an issue. The system flushes itself and doesn't use a float and has a new type heating coil. The unit does look impressive. Also will be less than existing steams.

The EWC is expensive. The EWC works. It will bring up your RH% .

You get what you pay for.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by hvac-know-how View Post
    Indicated water issues won't be an issue. The system flushes itself and doesn't use a float and has a new type heating coil.

I have sold many TrueSTEAM humidifiers, but we are starting to see issues with them getting blocked up due to hard water (or not soft enough). Has anyone else experienced this? I'm told we have to have the customer clean it out once per month to avoid this.

Anyone else having issues, or have a solution to the problem?

Thumbs down TrueSTEAM issues

ComfortAdvisor . . .

Yesterday I serviced two 12 GPD TrueSTEAM humidifiers in a four furnace, 9,000 sq ft house. Both humidifiers had shut down with four LED blinks indicating over heating of the heating element.

When I opened the tank the gasket stuck to the tank so it took a few minutes getting in back in place. I removed the mineral deposit which was an off white greenish color. When I got home I weighed the mineral deposits removed from the tanks. Each one contained about 3-1/2 ounces of deposit after less than 60 days of operation.

See photos of the tank with calcium carbonate deposit at this URL . . .

http://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/458200/1/Honeywell%20TrueSTEAM?h=22d754

Please let me know how the mineral deposit you see in the humidifiers you have installed compares with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ComfortAdvisor View Post
    I have sold many TrueSTEAM humidifiers, but we are starting to see issues with them getting blocked up due to hard water (or not soft enough). Has anyone else experienced this? I'm told we have to have the customer clean it out once per month to avoid this.

Alex

I like how this thread was dug up from the past. It's cool to see it's conception from Honeywell before they were on the market to current date.

I'm interested in seeing what is going on with the Truesteam systems since we are pushing them as the "premium" option in our lineup.

I had to change a 6 gal out for a 9 gal due to our geographical location and R value of the house.
    The Honeywell specs are an average based on common climates so you have to adjust to your area for sizing.

When I took out the 6 gal I noticed a little sediment after 3 weeks of operation but nothing that seemed unreasonable.

Our new boxes are coming with in-line water filters in them. Have they always done this or is this a new packaging idea to back up their product?

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

The new posts got me thinking. Based on my experience with a cool mist type portable humidifier which is similar to a steam in that resistive heat boils the water, I'd think that unless the tank is drainied every few hours of operation, you will have issues. Even rinsing my unit out every other day, there were every heavy mineral deposits that became thick scale over time. I had to use a scouring pad or CLR to remove them.

think of it this way, if you have a 1 gallon tank and you boil 1 gallon of water, then add anoth gallon of fresh water, you have already doubled the mineral content. With every gallon you boil, you add the all the minerals from the that gallon to the water in the tank. Once the water is saturated, the salt will percipitate out of solution and settle in the bottom of the tank. Unless you are using a RO or DI water or draining the tank very frequently, you will have problems long term. A carbon filter will still leave a percentage of minerals so it only extends the drain interval, but that filter will need to be changed out regularly basd on gallons filtered and mineral content of the water.

This makes powered vent units or traditional even bypass units look a little better in terms of maintenance. Change a pad once or twice a season and you're done.

Maybe Honeywell needs to add a conductivity sensor or adjustable switch and dump the tank according to mineral content "on-demand" instead of a timer. This will use more energy and water, but would reduce maintenance significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    ComfortAdvisor . . .

Yesterday I serviced two 12 GPD TrueSTEAM humidifiers in a four furnace, 9,000 sq ft house. Both humidifiers had shut down with four LED blinks indicating over heating of the heating element.

When I opened the tank the gasket stuck to the tank so it took a few minutes getting in back in place. I removed the mineral deposit which was an off white greenish color. When I got home I weighed the mineral deposits removed from the tanks. Each one contained about 3-1/2 ounces of deposit after less than 60 days of operation.

See photos of the tank with calcium carbonate deposit at this URL . . .

http://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/458200/1/Honeywell%20TrueSTEAM?h=22d754

Please let me know how the mineral deposit you see in the humidifiers you have installed compares with mine.

We have put in a few truesteam. One have the same mineral deposit and green in color.It shut down on 6 flash. Pulled apart and cleaned back up and running now. Did I say it was in for a mounth.I dont think telling the home owner that thay need to clean every mounth.Looks like we are going back to aprilair for now.
    does anyone have link to the EWC? I know genral has one very costly.

Quote Originally Posted by ComfortAdvisor View Post

Ive heard of the samething...i know of one that burnt out two heating elements in the first two weeks of installation due to hard water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast