Thread: converting to ng furnace from electric baseboard, need advise.

Post Likes

converting to ng furnace from electric baseboard, need advise.

our situation is a little complicated so bare with me...

we live in southern ontario, 1000ish sq ft, 1 1/2 storey detached home built around 1960.

our house is currently heated by electric baseboard and 2 ng fireplaces(that don't give much heat at all...) after spending an arm and a leg last winter on hydro(just to keep our house from freezing, not warm) we're pricing out putting a furnace in. now there was a furnace in the house at some point because there is some existing ductwork, who know's why it was ever removed....

so far we've had 3 contractors give us quotes, because of the government rebates right now in our area, we have been pricing 2 stage high eff. with DC motor. the rebates we get take it down to the price of a high end mid eff. so we feel it's worth the extra...

so having said that... here are the models that have been suggested to us so far:
    Trane XV95 (so far our prefered contractor, and also cheapest price wise)
    Carrier infinity 96
    york pc9

so any input on those specific brands/models? are we over-doing it? do we really need a furnace that 'high end' for such a small house? any general suggestions also appreciated.

thanks

Post Likes
    They're all good furnaces.
    The first 2 are 2 stage furnaces.
    The York is a modulating furnace, so I would expect it to cost more.

As far as how high end of a furnace do you need.
    Answer this question. Whats your personal comfort worth to you.

Post Likes
    load study done?
    U should have lots of insul in attic
    but, be sure ductwork is correct, & all cracks are sealed
    on slab?
    knee- walls? insulated good?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Post Likes
    The efficiency of the equipment is not going to have any affect on the level of comfort. An 80% furnace will keep you every bit as comfortable as a 96% unit. What you need to ask yourself is "would I like to save energy and reduce my heating bill?"

The quality of the installation, as an entire system...ducts and all, and the durability of the equipment are the most important factors...at least in my opinion.

Post Likes

I would doubt the old ductwork is salvageable

If the electric BB is to be removed, would hydronic BB heat be an option?
    With PEX tubing it's much easier to snake piping to multiple levels.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    An 80% furnace will keep you every bit as comfortable as a 96% unit

A 95% modulating furnace will provide better comfort then a 2 stage 80%.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for your input so far...

by Hydronic do you mean water boiler?? that's not really an option, I would have to put in the same amount of tear down to access for tubing than to put duct work in...

the only salvagable ducts are the one's leading to the second floor, and I'm not about to rip open my main floor walls to install new ones, so they are going to have to work... everything else is accessable to install new through the basement ceiling.

Beenthere: I'm not really sure if I understand the difference between modulating and 2 stage? is that to do with the fan speeds, or the gas output? the fan on all are 'variable' speed. and you are correct, if it's a matter of not freezing, it's defanatly worth it.

as for insulation, we are updating a lot of that as well, to qualify for the grants we have to get an energy audit done, so they are able to tell us where we are loosing heat and can insulate more.

Post Likes
    The first 2 furnaces you list are 2 stage, thay have a low fire and a high fire. ( 2 steps of heat )

The York is modulating it has 65 steps of heat. ( from 35% to 100% of max btu rating )
    It attempts to maintain a 55* temp rise so you have a constant warm air coming from the supplies. Its a comfort unit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in