Hybrid View

restaurant exhaust hood requirements

Forgive me if this sounds stupid. In the past I have always referred out any work that came to me regarding installing new exhaust hoods for restaurants. I'm not familiar with Health Dept. rules, not sure where to buy the hoods etc.

I am thinking maybe I should try to offer this as an extra service to my customers. I am in Michigan and wondered if anyone could advise me on the best way to get up to speed on the requirements, sizing air balance, best vendors, training classes etc. We currently do residential and commercial HVAC installation and service, so I can handle the work I just want to learn the proper way to do it.

call your tech guy at the manufacturer that your local supply house carries in stock. he'll help you.

make it real simple for you, CAPTIVE AIR. Go to their web site and find your local rep. They will provide all cut sheets and size the system for you. You can also go to their web site and spec a system and print out the specs yourself.

here are the pointers:

carefull on the fire-wrap, its expensive and you better take a training on install before you ever bid to do it

fire rated access doors, make sure you know where to use them.

16 ga and who is going to weld it

partner up with a fire / ansul guy. you will need them on every job.

be careful with pre-piped hoods, one change of a fryer location and it all has to be re piped!!!

gas S.O.V., always go mechanical if you can, electric are a pain if there is a shut down requirement tied into an energy mngmt system unless you have no units with standing pilots (make them use electronic ignition if you have this)

all outlets and plugs shut down in alarm under hood, if power isnt needed, do not have a plug under the hood!!!!

enjoy, matt

Thanks guys, while waiting for responses I found Captive Air and they are helping me out. Thanks for the info.

Hi....if u need more info about hood system,how to inst it ,the whole 9 yard....e-mail me at Email Address Removed .....i have been doing this all over the east coast.....
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 10-14-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Email Address Removed

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid. In the past I have always referred out any work that came to me regarding installing new exhaust hoods for restaurants. I'm not familiar with Health Dept. rules, not sure where to buy the hoods etc.

I am thinking maybe I should try to offer this as an extra service to my customers. I am in Michigan and wondered if anyone could advise me on the best way to get up to speed on the requirements, sizing air balance, best vendors, training classes etc. We currently do residential and commercial HVAC installation and service, so I can handle the work I just want to learn the proper way to do it.
    Great idea!! i think it is good if you want to provide extra services to the customers and make your restaurants more better. I suggest you to give coupons discount to the customer. It is the best idea to improve your sale.