+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QuadraFire 1200i Exhaust fan - won't shut off

Post Likes

QuadraFire 1200i Exhaust fan - won't shut off

During the Summer my wife woke up to the pellet stove fan running
    this is when the thermostat was set to 50 degrees - and ambient temp was well above 50 degrees
    she unplugged the stove and then forgot to tell me about it.
    Anyways - today I due my annual cleaning
    and give the stove a trial run before winter

Problem - I plug in the power cord and exhaust fan turns on
    Red "feed me pellets" light kicks on when I raise the thermostat to 75 degrees
    pellets feed (normal)
    Pellets ignite (normal)
    Fire burns while exhaust fan does it thing (normal)
    (red and green light on top of control box module light up)
    the convection fan never kicks on - when the light calls for more pellets
    then a loud "clicking" sound comes from the grey module control box. sounds like a switch cycling on /off rapidly 4-5 times a second
    After I turn the thermostat back to 50 the exhaust fan never shuts off
    anyone else ever had this problem?
    Strange the fan would kick on by itself in the warm summer
    and then stay on as long as unit is plugged in

Post Likes
    FYI the convection fan only kicks on when a temp snap disc trips, not "when the light calls for more pellets".

The operation of the combustion blower is controlled by the module. Sounds like you might need a new module. The grey module is now obsolete FYI, there is a newer replacement part, a clear module.

Also FYI when first plugged in the combustion blower runs for around 15 minutes (on current models). But, it should shut off sometime after there is not a call for heat anymore.

Post Likes
    (red and green light on top of control box module light up)
    the convection fan never kicked on - even after 15:00 minutes

when the light called for more pellets
    then a loud "clicking" sound comes from the grey module control box. sounds like a switch cycling on /off rapidly 4-5 times a second

What is the going rate for new modules? (afraid to ask)

Post Likes
    Hmmm... they don't like prices here but that applies to doing a job, giving quotes, etc...

I will look up the MSRP quick, I don't see any harm in posting that. Although I would not suggest just going and buying a module, I'm just guessing without actually seeing it.

Looks like it would be around $200 just for the module, might not be a bad idea to have a pro come check the whole thing out.

Post Likes
    thank you for your thoughts
    I will call in the service repair person...

thank you

Post Likes

Cool

If you find the combustion blower running, it could mean the power blinked and it's just running a normal purge as jtp suggested.

Why throw parts at it? In the first place, you would check and possibly replace snap disc#1, which controls the convection fan, before you replace the module. If the unit fires normally but the convection fan never kicks in, snap disc#2 may kick the unit off as it overheats then later re-set.

Call the service guy but ask him to bring snap disc parts for #1,#2, and a new clear module just in case. Also, when is the last time this stove was reallly torn apart and scrubbed inside and out? 90% of all pellet stove problems can be traced back to lack of proper maintenance.

hth,
    hearthman

Post Likes

Same problem :fan won't shut down

Does anyone know what the fix for this problem is?
    I have exactly the same issues
    The fan will not shut off after all of the other shut done procedures have been done

Post Likes
    what "fan" are you referring to? if it the one that blows air into the room(convection fan), you may need a new snap disk #1. if its the exhaust fan, it could be a few different things.

Post Likes
    It is the exhaust fan.

Post Likes
    do you see the control board? and with the stove cool and thermostat off do you see any light on the control board?

Post Likes
    Yes, both the red and green lights come on in there proper sequence.
    When the stove is pluged in (no thermostat calling for heat) the exhaust fan comes on right away and will not shut off.

Post Likes
    When the stove is cold there are no lights on

Post Likes
    what about when you turn the thermostat up, do you see just the red "call" light? looks like a 3/8" red bubble. or do you see a green or red light on the control board also?

Post Likes
    When the thermostat calls for heat the big red call light comes on.(beside the 2 switches)
    Once the stove is running first the green light comes on then a few minutes later the red light comes on.(on the control board)

Post Likes
    If everything else is running fine it sounds like the control board relay is stuck and the control board will need to be replaced, this just a suggestion based on info i have and i in no way guarantee that it will fix the problem.

Post Likes
    I opened up the control box
    (no warranty anyway) and can see that one of the relays has been bubbled out a bit.
    Can just the relay be replaced, or do I have to replace the whole box?

Post Likes
    you may be able to find a relay to fix it, but i don't know where to find that info if you cant see any numbers on the relay

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help
    At least I have a good idea as to wear to start.

Post Likes
    Did anyone find the solution to this? I have the same issue with my Quadrafire 1000. The exhaust fan kicked on while the unit was in the process of cooling down/shut down and stays on.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

is this the general SOA on these units ?

Someone wrote:

Room Temperature stat makes and feeds pellets - powers the auger feed motor.

The ignitor gets powered and lights the pellets.

The venter motor gets powered to provide draft / exhaust.

When the firebox gets warm another stat powers the indoor air circulation blower.

When the room stat contact open - the auger stops, the pellets burn themselves out, the firebox cools, and the indoor air circulation blower shuts off when it's stat cools.

--------------------------------

Is that about the typical sequence-of-operation for pellet stoves?

And if so; does the auger feed Continually so long as the room/space temperature stat contacts are closed?

If not; what else controls power to the auger feed motor?

Does the ignitor remain powered during the entire combustion period?

If not; what 'tells' the ignitor to turn off after the pellets are lit?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in