Drain line in Trane Air Handler leaking water

Drain line in Trane Air Handler leaking water

We have a Trane Air Handler TWE036C140B0 model that just started leaking water from the drain line. The water begins to leak when the unit turns offs and drains about 1-2 cups of water. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Thanks.

drain line should be flowing water while unit is running.

if it something new i would say check your filter. if unit is starving for air it may be pulling air up drain line and not letting water out.

Thanks. Maybe it isn't called a drain line. There is a PVC pipe that hangs down from the Air Handler that has never leaked water before. Since original question was posted, I turned off the power to the unit and took the air filter out (which was just recently replaced) and put it back in and for whatever reason, it is no longer leaking. Will continue to keep an eye in it. Thanks again.

The drain line should be releasing water while the system is running and sometimes in bulk when the system turns off. This is just from what I've seen. Sounds normal to me, but maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. Yes, the PVC pipe would be the drain line.

restrictive filters

I've seen this problem on units with allergy free, ultra pure, or anyother filter that costs over 4.00. All the ones that have ultra, anywhere in the name block too much air to work good in most units. If you have to use one of those filters , have extra return air filter grills installed. the old rule of thumb i was taught was 144 sq inches per ton of filter area. I don't have a figure for "ultra" filters but I would at least double it to 288 sq inches per ton.
    I don't put something like Farr 30/30 in the "ultra" catagory.

other ideas?

maybe its his overflow pipe
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    maybe its his overflow pipe

could be, this diagnosing over the net is a pita..........

don't pay worth a d@mn either.....

That air handler has (2) pipe exits on coil area, one is main drain and other is secondary, maybe draining into pan under coil or air handler. If this is the case and you have water in secondary pan your main line maybe clogged up. If you can see a metal pan with water in it, then your main is stopped up. Suggest you turn off system and call for service before you have bigger issues with water.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Probably needs a little maintenance done by blowing the drain out. If not the pan could be cracked or it needs a Ptrap.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    could be, this diagnosing over the net is a pita..........

don't pay worth a d@mn either.....

yep ain't that the truth I though awhile about posting - I think I'll keep things on the down low for a while
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains