Hybrid View

How to cook greens?

Cooking turnip greens with a few mustard greens tomorrow night...at least as soon as you guys give me a clue on how to

Steam them. After water is boiling, put in greens above water on grate in 10 min, theyre done.( unless you are cooking a lot at once ). 4-6 servings. Season after done. Cook less time if you like em crisper.
    never say never

Then saute in a few tablespoons of bacon grease for a few minutes!
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    Then saute in a few tablespoons of bacon grease for a few minutes!
    no need to pre-steam, saute in bacon fat with bacon bits, a crushed tomatoe, diced onion and garlic... finish by stirring in a tablespoon of bread crumbs.
    Last edited by key; 09-23-2007 at 08:56 AM.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

Quote Originally Posted by key View Post
    no need to pre-steam,
    I like to steam them first, you can leave them cooking while doing other parts of the meal. But each to their own!

I agree with favored- lots of onion, garlic and pepper too!

Tonight we are doing 15 oz boneless strip steaks, with marinated tomatoes, green salad, and home made onion rings.

Tomorrow morning, its back to the Grapenuts and fruit, but tonight we live!
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

turnip greens
    Mustard greens
    Polk salad
    Wash them first, get grit out. fry bacon or add salt pork to water while boiling.
    All taste better if you cut/slab of salt pork into 1/2' cubes and add to boiling water and cook for 20 minutes . Martha White corn bread and buttermilk for the old timers out there.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Here's how we do it (old school):

First, once you decide what type of meat you'll season them with (i.e., some type of smoked pork or smoked turkey, ususally), put the meat in a crock pot or small pot, season to taste and cook on low until the meat is tender. Smoked meats usually are tough on the outside, hence the reason for slow cooking them. This meat will be added to the greens later.

If you are cooking turnip and mustard (as stated in your OP), consider also adding spinach to the mix (to be added later). Turnip & mustard greens by themselves tend to have a bitter edge, and spinach tones down that edge.

Pick & Wash the greens thoroughly, as any grit left on them will be present in the finished product, and no one wants that "grainy" feeling in their mouths. To pick them, you want to pull the leaves from off of the stems, as the stems don't taste as good as just the leaves. (I personally leave in a few stems, as I like the taste of them-IMHO).

Place them in a large stock pot, fill to just above the greens w/water, season w/seasoned salt, pepper, garlic and toss in onions to taste. Pour in a little bacon grease for seasoning. Let boil until leaves are tender (time varies with regard to amount of greens cooked). Just before they're done, pour in the meat and stock from the meat to add even more flavor. At this point, it's also good to add the spinach (if using frozen leaf spinach), since it doesn't take long to cook. (if using fresh spinach, add much earlier in the recipe, as it will need time to cook to tenderness).

Once they're done, make sure you have plenty of hot-water cornbread (or jiffyor Martha White if you like really sweet bread or can't make hot-water bread), fresh tomatoes & green onions to top with, some hot sauce, and a fork!!

Hope I didn't overwhelm you!