Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 Ton Trane

Nice professional looking install .

1 question though, did you remove the liquid line dryer from inside the unit? The 2TTA's come with one from the factory .
    Ed J

Is this a problem having two? I thought installers did this often.

Wink Eye-sight

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Why's the sight glass piped in before the drier?
    Actually, the sight glass is ok, just not necessary to have 2 driers. TRANE takes care of that for you!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Is this a problem having two? I thought installers did this often.

Yah, 2 driers in series is a bad thing...............
    Ed J

I make it a habit to check for factory installed liquid line driers after getting bit once by listening to a parts house counter guy concerning this.

This particular condenser did not have a factory drier installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Janowiak View Post
    Yah, 2 driers in series is a bad thing...............
    Can you explain just briefly why? I'm going to have to check my heat pump tomorrow. It's a Payne 10 SEER heat pump. Do you think it might have one inside the unit? I know there's one outside in the lineset.

Quote Originally Posted by cobitech View Post
    I make it a habit to check for factory installed liquid line driers after getting bit once by listening to a parts house counter guy concerning this.

This particular condenser did not have a factory drier installed.
    I believe all trane condensers like that have the drier factory installed. If you open the quik panel ( the side panel with 2 screws that is left of the corner electrical control box ) it has a spun copper " bullet " drier on the LL just before the line goes to the service valve. This is not visible from looking down in the top of the unit. You can look up through the louvers of the access panel i'm talking about and see it if you know what you're looking for. Most residential and light commercial ( 6 tons and under ) equipment nowadays has the driers factory installed. I think it looks good except for some minor oversights. nothing that will be detrimental to the performance. A service tech that knows what he's doing will check the temp drop accross both driers during a PM or at least check to see if two are in the system. It better to not have two but it won't kill it. Screwing the unit to the little pad won't help in a severe wind storm/ hurricane. In our area for a wind rated install you would have to use an aluminum " hurricane rack " that was cut into the roof and bolted to the joists or at least screwed into the metal roof decking. Not a bad install. IMO
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

The HVAC-Talk Educational Forums is the best place on the net for your HVAC/R info!!!

VETO PRO PAC - The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Okay, I'm confused now. So if there are two filter driers it won't hurt the system? I'm sure this happens many times, doesn't it? If someone could clarify the potential issues with this and whether or not it will harm it that would be great.

Ryan, I do not know off the top of my head if your unit has a LL drier installed from the factory. If I had to guess, I’d say no. But I could be wrong.

OP My guess is your Trane unit has one. If the unit was special ordered it may not.

Factory installed driers are supposed to be removed before the installation of a new one.

No manufacturer I know of will say 2 driers in series is acceptable. The second drier will cause a pressure drop that is not accounted for in the systems design.
    Ed J

I will look at the unit closer when I get back to work Tuesday. I did look through the top of the unit and did not see a copper spun liquid line drier, but it is possible I over looked it.

Looks like there's a filter drier inside of my heat pump as well as outside. The one inside the unit looks smaller and length and is near the compressor. I haven't noticed any problems except some short cycling. It cools fine. I'd like to know what you guys think i.e. is it worth pursuing with the installer. I watched the contractor put it on as if it needed one.

If it's near the compressor it's prolly a muffler not a drier. With Payne being a value line of equipment, I'm thinking there is little if any chance your unit came with a factory installed drier .
    Ed J

Thanks. Muffler is probably what it is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast