Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 Ton Trane

Hybrid View

6 Ton Trane

This is a Trane condenser install that I helped another tech change out.

We went back with the same tonnage, except this one had a scroll compressor. I was amazed at how quiet it was in comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

yep thats a condenser.

Are you sure that's a 6 ton or is it a 5 ton? What model is that? Isn't it a XB13? Nice job.

Ive never installed a condenser on a roof but I thought you had to loop the lines or bring the copper up to the hight of the unit so the oil stays in the A/C

Like I said I never installed one on top or know much about installing a/c on the roof
    I forgot my Pen !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Think of the old stuff as dumb and strong and the new stuff as smart but just not so tough.

Ryan, It is a 6 ton Model# 2TTA0072A3000.

awsomeears, The oil trap is located coming off from the evaporator coil. From the condensing unit the piping goes down through the roof for several feet and then turns and goes over about 20 feet to the oil trap and into the evaporator coil .
    It has a TXV and belt drive blower in a FCU.

It is a supplementary system to an existing hydronic system that could not handle the heat load to an electronic equipment room.

Quote Originally Posted by cobitech View Post
    Ryan, It is a 6 ton Model# 2TTA0072A3000.

awsomeears, The oil trap is located coming off from the evaporator coil. From the condensing unit the piping goes down through the roof for several feet and then turns and goes over about 20 feet to the oil trap and into the evaporator coil .
    It has a TXV and belt drive blower in a FCU.

It is a supplementary system to an existing hydronic system that could not handle the heat load to an electronic equipment room.
    Is that more of a commercial unit? I can't find that model number on the Trane site (looking at the residential section). It looks like an XB13. I can't determine this from the picture, but did you screw the unit down into the pad? I saw a picture on this forum of a condensing unit on the roof that sort of "drifted away."

i have a trane AC UNIT. its a heat pump model built 10-2006,
    model number 2TWA0072A3000AB. i'm told its a 6 ton unit. long story, but i bought this thing for my house and then found out i can't use it because its a 3 phase unit. i paid 1000 for this thing. i've since bought a rooftop package unit for my house, but don't know what to do with this unit. its never been turned on. i've had people come and look at it and they checked the triggers to see if its ever been turned on and they showed me that the electricity has never been applied. any help here would be a blessing. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eo1scw View Post
    i have a trane AC UNIT. its a heat pump model built 10-2006,
    model number 2TWA0072A3000AB. i'm told its a 6 ton unit. long story, but i bought this thing for my house and then found out i can't use it because its a 3 phase unit. i paid 1000 for this thing. i've since bought a rooftop package unit for my house, but don't know what to do with this unit. its never been turned on. i've had people come and look at it and they checked the triggers to see if its ever been turned on and they showed me that the electricity has never been applied. any help here would be a blessing. thanks
    Well sorry to hear that. You might have a hard time getting all of your money back out of it. If it were me I would go around to some of your local A/C shops that advertise that they do commercial work and see if they would be interested in buying it. Take some good photos of the unit and as much model and serial info as you can to help you sell it. As long as it has never been installed, you stand a better chance of recovering more of your money than if it was installed previously. Good Luck!
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

The HVAC-Talk Educational Forums is the best place on the net for your HVAC/R info!!!

VETO PRO PAC - The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

An extra dryer is not a problem. Nice job.

Thumbs up

copper spun driers don't have enough dessicant in them to be true driers. More of a prefilter. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you pulled a good vacuum on it. Trane does usually allow suction oil traps anymore. The increased suction velocities due to higher compression ratio compressors makes it not needed. Nice job.
    MK

Hmm

Ive been installing Trane equipment since 1992 and I never knew they had a 6ton split cooling unit. I learn everyday. Great looking work. What size lineset does that require? 1 1/8th inch I'm guessing.

I do not agree about the quality of the installation, the liquid tight isn't strapped down, there is no inverted trap to ensure the oil stays in the unit and not free drain down into the evaporator coil, the liquid line looks crooked and the sight glass is before the drier. Also it's recommended these days to put the drier close to the metering device as possible. On my job site that would be a fail. Plus I keep looking at that disconnect floating out there. I would have secured it to the unit, probably would have put something new and smaller on.

One last thing sounds like you are on compressor number 3 or 4? Just my cents, sorry if I broke any of your forum rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Juleous View Post
    I do not agree about the quality of the installation, the liquid tight isn't strapped down, there is no inverted trap to ensure the oil stays in the unit and not free drain down into the evaporator coil, the liquid line looks crooked and the sight glass is before the drier. Also it's recommended these days to put the drier close to the metering device as possible. On my job site that would be a fail. Plus I keep looking at that disconnect floating out there. I would have secured it to the unit, probably would have put something new and smaller on.

One last thing sounds like you are on compressor number 3 or 4? Just my cents, sorry if I broke any of your forum rules.
    An inverted trap on the liquid line would serve no purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast