Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 Ton Trane

6 Ton Trane

This is a Trane condenser install that I helped another tech change out.

We went back with the same tonnage, except this one had a scroll compressor. I was amazed at how quiet it was in comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

yep thats a condenser.

Are you sure that's a 6 ton or is it a 5 ton? What model is that? Isn't it a XB13? Nice job.

Ive never installed a condenser on a roof but I thought you had to loop the lines or bring the copper up to the hight of the unit so the oil stays in the A/C

Like I said I never installed one on top or know much about installing a/c on the roof
    I forgot my Pen !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Think of the old stuff as dumb and strong and the new stuff as smart but just not so tough.

Ryan, It is a 6 ton Model# 2TTA0072A3000.

awsomeears, The oil trap is located coming off from the evaporator coil. From the condensing unit the piping goes down through the roof for several feet and then turns and goes over about 20 feet to the oil trap and into the evaporator coil .
    It has a TXV and belt drive blower in a FCU.

It is a supplementary system to an existing hydronic system that could not handle the heat load to an electronic equipment room.

Quote Originally Posted by cobitech View Post
    Ryan, It is a 6 ton Model# 2TTA0072A3000.

awsomeears, The oil trap is located coming off from the evaporator coil. From the condensing unit the piping goes down through the roof for several feet and then turns and goes over about 20 feet to the oil trap and into the evaporator coil .
    It has a TXV and belt drive blower in a FCU.

It is a supplementary system to an existing hydronic system that could not handle the heat load to an electronic equipment room.
    Is that more of a commercial unit? I can't find that model number on the Trane site (looking at the residential section). It looks like an XB13. I can't determine this from the picture, but did you screw the unit down into the pad? I saw a picture on this forum of a condensing unit on the roof that sort of "drifted away."

Ryan, It is a 230V three phase compressor and I opted not to screw it down because of its location between the Hotel, Parking Garage and the low wall to the next roof top. I figured that any high winds would never make it to this location.

Why's the sight glass piped in before the drier?
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Rob,

I didn't think about the positioning of the sight glass before or after the liquid line drier.
    I suppose it would make more sense in seeing if there was a full liquid line after the drier opposed to before the drier.
    Thanks for pointing that out to me.

How'd ya get that thing up on the roof? Good looking job.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Thanks,
    We drove it up to the upper level of tha parking garage on the back of a Truck and used our Snorkel lift with some cargo straps and chain, we lifted and then lowered it down on the roof from above.

We removed the old unit in the same fashion.

Its amazing what you can do with a Snorkel Lift.

What was the old unit just out of curiosity? Thanks.

Also, I assume this condenser went with just a standard 6-ton air handler?

Is this system R410a-based or R22-based?

Ryan, It was a 6 Ton Trane also, except the compressor was a rotolock climatuff compressor and matching fan coil unit.(R-22 old and new)

The last time we changed out the compressor was about 2 years ago.
    When the compressor gave up the ghost this time (Bad Valves) we changed out the compressor to find that there was a restriction on one of the circuits where the copper tubing and the aluminum tubing meet. You could see where the restriction was and feel the temperature drop across it.
    We probably should have changed out the condenser unit first instead of the compressor again, but it was a hassle to have to remove the old condenser and set another in place. So now we have a new compressor to put on the shelf.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast