Air Bear vs. 1" Filters

Hey gang.

My Heat Pump system is going to be replaced soon.

My current system has a Lennox Air Handler that has a built in 1" tray at the bottom of the cabinet for a filter which has never been used. The tray is actually blocked by some plastic drain tubing coming out of the coil part of the cabinet. There is a big 20x25x5 air bear cabinet built out of duct in between the cabinet below the air handler and the return air duct (pic below).

To me, the Air Bear vs. 1" filter seems to be 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other. While the Air Bear filters are more expensive, they last about 3 months each. I'm assuming by switching to a 1", I would increase my filter change rate to more like monthly?

I'm wondering what you guys see as pro's and con's to either type of filter.

Thanks!

Here's a pic, you can ignore the text comments, this pic was used for other purposes as well.
    http://i.imgur.com/3eENkbn.jpg
    Last edited by tropez; 02-13-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: changed pic to URL since it's so damn high res. :)

There are two schools of thought:

One is focusing ONLY on the cost... the other is quality of air and longevity of equipment.

On the latter... the airbear will keep the air you breathe cleaner, lower slightly the dust in your home, keep the inside of the equipment cleaner, and slightly lower operating costs of heating and cooling, due to reduced resistance to airflow.

My recommendation is always to mount a 'media style' filter... as the benefits outweigh the cost.

Good choice on the T-stat BTW!

BTW: Can you re-size your picture... it is too large for the screen... THX!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Thanks for the advice.

I changed the img to a URL, not sure how to resize that using bbcode.

I like the T-Stat as well but I was contemplating swapping it out for one of the ComfortNet thermostats since my new air handler and heat pump are both the communicating models. Not sure on that yet though.

Also, to add to this, I think one of the challenges to keeping the air bear with the new system is going to be space. The new unit is much taller than that old Lennox so that box below the air handler is going to be much shorter, cutting into space where the existing air bear sits (height wise). I think my installer was leaning towards using the 1" this time merely for space reasons. Not sure yet, we visit again tomorrow about it.

Google 'right angle airbear'... A cabinet that uses the filter and resolves that issue.

https://www.google.com/search?client...icial&tbm=shop

The unit can be used right hand or left. So you get the advantage of the media filter... yet the space limitations are resolved.

Airflow is one of those things included in the statement: Installation is more important than product.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Ahh, yes, that's perfect actually. That amount of open space would be perfect it seems. Instead of the entire side being exposed like my current install, this would work well. Damn it's wide though. Looks like I would need to move my return over some inches as the existing space is is only about as wide as the air bear itself.

Great tip, it's appreciated.

The right angle box is about 18" wide... and the top inlet can be adjusted. And as noted... output on either side.

Probably 90+% of my installs have an airbear of some sort (the system is available in many different names) attached. Probably 15% of those are right angle boxes.

Post a pic of it when it is done.

As to the stat... If you go with the factory stat... get it in writing it carries the same 10 year parts warranty as the equipment. The 'high end' stats from the manufacturers have issues sometimes.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8