Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Source for Smoking Woods?

Anyone ever order wood chips or chunks off the internet? If so, would you recommend them? A friend of mine gave me a smoker he recieved as a gift (Brinkman All-In-One), but didn't want since he had one. It's not bad for free, so I thought I'd try and experiment with different woods and meats. I smoked some wings I marinated with hickory (bought), oak (my yard), maple (my yard) and natural charcoal (hippy store) and they were pretty darn good before I even added wing sauce.

*Marinade was apple juice, apple cider vinegar, little habenero sauce, ground cayenne, salt/pepper, paprika, garlic powder over night.

I've never bought them off the net. Usually whatever store I'm at when I need them. I get the big chunks.

guy in town sells apple chips, they make a good flavor.
    You can't fix stupid

Usually I bring a rack of ribs and a case of homebrew to the apple farmer and they let me fill up my truck as much as I want. way to expensive to order online IMO
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

If youre in my part of the world, You can come get all the mesquite and pecan you want........

Quote Originally Posted by OOC View Post
    *Marinade was apple juice, apple cider vinegar, little habenero sauce, ground cayenne, salt/pepper, paprika, garlic powder over night.
    When ever we'd do a pig we would use apple wood. It is abundant and free for the taking. Plus it has a good smell and taste. Apple juice, apple cider--why not apple wood?

I have bought mesquite chuncks at HD. I put these right on the burner of the gas grille.

Check your yellow pages and see if there's a custom cabinet place anywhere nearby. Those guys have all kinds of little scraps of oak, maple, hickory, cherry, or who-knows-what that they'll probably give you.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

The best smoke flavor ever would have to be Dried Grape Vines. IMO
    Do as I say, not as I do

Quote Originally Posted by tech_support007 View Post
    The best smoke flavor ever would have to be Dried Grape Vines. IMO

Really?I have the whole E and J Gallo vineyards all around me.What do you use them on?
    Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

I just rip off all the bbq joints.
    Seriously, you should ask a local bbq restaurant where they source their wood. They may even sell you some outright.
    Luke 6:31

Friend of mine uses barrel chips from Jack Daniels Barrels

Here's a link I found to Barrel Pellets

Don't know where he gets them from...
    he's not into the internet/computers

Unfortunately.... I'm always busy when he grilles out arghhh
    to miss out on free food.... the agony and despair

Quote Originally Posted by thoglow View Post
    Really?I have the whole E and J Gallo vineyards all around me.What do you use them on?
    I second this. And if you have the Gallo fields nearby you'll never need another souce. Grape vines, being seriously dense, burn hot. Use them on any meats you wish and fish even. They have a subtle smoke, like alderwood. If you hot-smoke fish, make sure it's a fattier variety, like bluefish, salmon, mackeral etc. Smoking whole fish on the bone (gutted, washed and seasoned first of course) is terrific, easy to do and bound to impress. Tastes great with cold beer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast