Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I getting scammed?

Post Likes

Am I getting scammed?

Hi, I apologize in advance for the newb question. I read the rules and am trying not to ask specific pricing questions. Anyhow....

I just had a furnace installed and am trying to figure out whether I was scammed. I thought they were installing the Lennox G50 (70k btu), but instead they installed the G40. I don't know whether this was an honest mistake, an insignificant difference, or a "bait and switch".

One, I don't have a clue as to what the real differences are, and two, I have no clue as to the price difference. And, as everyone in here probably knows, Lennox pricing is not publicized so I can't find that out.

Any advice y'all can provide would be great.

Post Likes
    Did you have it in writing that you were supposed to get the G50 series? This is there Elite series and is a step up from the G40 Merit series. The warranties on the two are the same. The Elite series will be a little less noisy as it is better insulated and is an upgraded model.

If you hae it in writing you were supposed to get the G50 I would push the point to get it or ask for a credit on the difference in price.
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    Did you have it in writing that you were supposed to get the G50 series? This is there Elite series and is a step up from the G40 Merit series. The warranties on the two are the same. The Elite series will be a little less noisy as it is better insulated and is an upgraded model.

If you hae it in writing you were supposed to get the G50 I would push the point to get it or ask for a credit on the difference in price.
    I thought I had it in writing, but when I looked at the paperwork in my quote, I saw that the quote did not specify the model. However, the guy had given me a brochure for their Elite series, and had circled the G50 (which is why I thought I had it in writing); I was never given any materials on the G40. This discrepancy is what makes me think I have been given the bait and switch, but like I said, maybe it was an honest mistake.

If I ask for a credit, what is a reasonable amount?

Post Likes
    can't discuss pricing here, BUT the difference is only a few gallons of gas.

both units carry the same warranty and i think they both use the same controls. the blower compartment of the g50 is insulated to reduce blower noise some.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    can't discuss pricing here, BUT the difference is only a few gallons of gas.

both units carry the same warranty and i think they both use the same controls. the blower compartment of the g50 is insulated to reduce blower noise some.
    I just talked to the company, and they said yes, a difference of a few gallons of gas, basically the same price. Which seems odd, given that Lennox classifies the G50 as part of their "Elite Series" and the G40 is part of their "Merit Series".

So, if the furnace is in a crawl space (ie, blower noise not a real issue), this is not something I should worry about?

Post Likes

Compare The two..........

Post Likes
    Sorry, I thought I posted that I had already looked at their website, but it isn't that helpful/informative for a layman. The differences appear to be insulated blower, difference in starter, possible difference in warranty. But I don't know how to evaluate those, and it doesn't tell me what the difference in price is. Which is important, even if the difference in blower doesn't make a difference.

My thought is, for ex., if you go to a store seeking BFGoodrich tires, and they install a different tire that they claim is just as good and the same price, and you run them just fine for 50k miles, does that mean you weren't scammed if the different tire costs $20 less? I may never notice a difference between the 2 furnaces (and if this was a real bait and switch, of course that would be their hope) but that doesn't mean that I wasn't scammed.

Post Likes
    If they quoted a G50, you should get a G50.

I don't sell G40's, as far as I am concerned they are a builders model. Unless something has changed, they always had a 1 year parts warranty also.

Post Likes
    Just called Lennox customer service. 5 year parts, 3 years on board. G50 has 5 year parts on all parts.

There ya have it!

Post Likes
    Thanks, HeyBob!

What do you (or anyone else) suggest I do? As I wrote earlier, I thought I had been quoted a G50 but looking back at it, the quote itself doesn't say that. The owner has said he will "do whatever I want to make things right" or something to that effect, but of course I am sure there are limits. I don't want to be a jerk, and if the differences aren't that great I sure don't want them to come back and put the G50 in (which they claim is not currently in stock, and won't be for a couple of weeks), but I also don't want to roll over and just say everything is A-Ok.

I guess one thing to do is ask them to cover the difference in warranty, ie if the board dies between years 3 and 5 they replace it. Anything else? I mean, is the price difference really a few gallons of gas?

Post Likes
    both units have identical warranties.
    if they want to do something for you let them do next years clean and check.

worth more than the cost difference but i would do it to satisfy a customer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    Just called Lennox customer service. 5 year parts, 3 years on board. G50 has 5 year parts on all parts.

There ya have it!

saw this after i posted.

warranties for both units on davenet are the same????????

Post Likes
    Yea, no kiddin'. Bob must be cornfused! How can the board be less than the parts warranty

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
    So, if the furnace is in a crawl space (ie, blower noise not a real issue), this is not something I should worry about?
    Do you have refrigerated air? Being that the furnace is in an unconditioned space, condensation may form on the uninsulated part.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shodinjido View Post
    Do you have refrigerated air? Being that the furnace is in an unconditioned space, condensation may form on the uninsulated part.
    If refrigerated air means A/C, no, I don't have A/C.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    saw this after i posted.

warranties for both units on davenet are the same????????
    I called the Lennox warranty department and that is what they told me. They were very specific!

Post Likes

Read the last line...........

Reliable Performance
    DuralokPlus® Heat Exchanger – Made of high-quality, patented ArmourTuf aluminized steel
    Hot Surface Ignition – Delivers starting reliability
    20-Year Limited Warranty on heat exchanger
    5-Year Limited Warranty on covered components

On covered components!

Post Likes
    Also...........................

The G50UH uses a Lennox Surelight board and ignition system

The G40UH uses standard hot surface ignition.

The ignitors are also different.

Combustion blowers are the same.

Yep, it's more than a little different.

A clean and check isn't gonna cover it.

You should install what you sell.

Post Likes
    so, if the G40 has a lesser warranty, a different starter, a blower that isn't as insulated, and doesn't have the ultra low speed fan (all of this info from this thread and their site), how is this furnace just a few dollars less than the G50?

I guess I am still lost, I still don't know whether to feel like I have been scammed or this was just "no big deal". I mean, the owner of the company made it sound like they were basically the same, that they used the G40 simply because the G50 was not immediately available. According to him, the blower was the only difference and that would make no difference to me.

Post Likes
    The G40 is a new construction gas furnace.

Let's put it this way, say you were gonna buy 500 police cars, and the price was just a few bucks less if those cars had hubcaps instead of wheelcovers, AM radios instead of AM/FM radios, add that up and the savings would be substantial.

That's what the G40 is for.............! That's what the difference is between the two.

Almost the same, but still different enough to improve the wholesale cost to the dealer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in