Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
    So, if the furnace is in a crawl space (ie, blower noise not a real issue), this is not something I should worry about?
    Do you have refrigerated air? Being that the furnace is in an unconditioned space, condensation may form on the uninsulated part.

Quote Originally Posted by shodinjido View Post
    Do you have refrigerated air? Being that the furnace is in an unconditioned space, condensation may form on the uninsulated part.
    If refrigerated air means A/C, no, I don't have A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    saw this after i posted.

warranties for both units on davenet are the same????????
    I called the Lennox warranty department and that is what they told me. They were very specific!

Read the last line...........

Reliable Performance
    DuralokPlus® Heat Exchanger – Made of high-quality, patented ArmourTuf aluminized steel
    Hot Surface Ignition – Delivers starting reliability
    20-Year Limited Warranty on heat exchanger
    5-Year Limited Warranty on covered components

On covered components!

Also...........................

The G50UH uses a Lennox Surelight board and ignition system

The G40UH uses standard hot surface ignition.

The ignitors are also different.

Combustion blowers are the same.

Yep, it's more than a little different.

A clean and check isn't gonna cover it.

You should install what you sell.

so, if the G40 has a lesser warranty, a different starter, a blower that isn't as insulated, and doesn't have the ultra low speed fan (all of this info from this thread and their site), how is this furnace just a few dollars less than the G50?

I guess I am still lost, I still don't know whether to feel like I have been scammed or this was just "no big deal". I mean, the owner of the company made it sound like they were basically the same, that they used the G40 simply because the G50 was not immediately available. According to him, the blower was the only difference and that would make no difference to me.

The G40 is a new construction gas furnace.

Let's put it this way, say you were gonna buy 500 police cars, and the price was just a few bucks less if those cars had hubcaps instead of wheelcovers, AM radios instead of AM/FM radios, add that up and the savings would be substantial.

That's what the G40 is for.............! That's what the difference is between the two.

Almost the same, but still different enough to improve the wholesale cost to the dealer.

ugh. I am just sick over this. I am feeling more and more like I have been scammed, yet it doesn't sound like there's much of a remedy for me?

They said to me that they intended to put the G50 in, but it wasn't immediately available so instead they installed the G40 (without telling me, of course). But it sounds like someone who sells this stuff would know that they are not close to equivalent???

You have every reason to feel the way you do.

If the contractor said they would make it right however you wanted, get the G50 installed.

You should have gotten what you paid for.

the difference between surelight & conventional hot surface ignition alone makes the g50 one heck of a better furnace. lennox has had it for years. trane & others have now copied that technology, its pretty much state of the art.
    i was born under a wandrin star.

like has been said if you were told G50 then that is what you should get
    the G40 os construction grade and has no thrills to it. It is a good product but is not a g50

The sure light is a better board and so is the ignitor. The insulation will add to the comfort and reliabilty of the unit being in a crawl space.
    It will odd to the comfort because of the blower options

you shaould ask them to install what they promist
    ar at least discount you because they didnt inform you of the down grade

First off, thank you to everyone for your help. The internet is an amazing thing, and I hope to pass along my help to some other stranger somewhere else, to keep it all spinning.

HeyBob, I get the concept, certainly for a home builder the savings could be dramatic. But I guess I just don't understand the incentive for this guy, a residential contractor, to do it if the savings is small. Why bait and switch for a "few gallons of gas" on a sale that is a couple thousand? It seems like that is a recipe for disaster in the long term, and the guy has been in business a while.

I guess I just want to believe that it is an honest mistake, and don't want to screw someone for an honest mistake (if that is the case) by making him lose a lot of money over something that is not all that important to me (at least I think it isn't).

You should be worried about it to a point. You should ask them to install what they told you they would. It may have been a honest mistake and they may not know all of the differences between the lines but there are differences. Print this thread and show it to them. Hey Bob has given you some great info and it would be good for another Lennox dealer to know it.

We have been a Lennox dealer for a short time and I didn't know all of the differences. I would never put in somthing other than quoted and if a mistake was made I would fix it.

Its not like its 0 degrees out and you needed to have heat the next day. They could have told you that they needed to order the Elite and put it in 2 weeks from now. Sounds fishy to me but we are only hearing one side of the story.

Good luck
    Its a good Life!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast