Heat Pump with split system - furnace

Confused Heat Pump with split system - furnace

I am an electrician and would surely appreciate some advice.

I have a 25 year old A/C compressor unit and have been searching for a used one with the same tonnage to replace it with as I cannot currently afford a brand new complete system.

My residence is a townhome and the compressor sits outside on a pad while the furnace and blower with the filter sit inside the garage.

I recently ran across a 3.5 ton Trane XE 1000 manufactured in 1999 but never used for a sweet $800. When I went to look at it the model number and labeling stated it was a heat pump. Can I use this heat pump instead of the standard compressor in my split system? Will the thermostat control the cooling operation of the heat pump in the summer and the gas furnace operation in the winter? Can the heat pump be shut off during the winter or will it work just fine here in Southern California? Can I then replace the other component (blower/furnace) with something that has the same specs as the existing but very old one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Fossel Fuel

You need the matching indoor coil for the condensing unit. You have the option of using the heat pump for heating down to say 40 outside and then having the furnace carry the house from there. Talk with someone you know in the HVAC business in your area. Your cost of elec. and gas will determine whether this set-up is the way to go. Good luck Lex
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Quote Originally Posted by rmuffinsman View Post
    I am an electrician and would surely appreciate some advice.

I have a 25 year old A/C compressor unit and have been searching for a used one with the same tonnage to replace it with as I cannot currently afford a brand new complete system.

My residence is a townhome and the compressor sits outside on a pad while the furnace and blower with the filter sit inside the garage.

I recently ran across a 3.5 ton Trane XE 1000 manufactured in 1999 but never used for a sweet $800. When I went to look at it the model number and labeling stated it was a heat pump. Can I use this heat pump instead of the standard compressor in my split system? Will the thermostat control the cooling operation of the heat pump in the summer and the gas furnace operation in the winter? Can the heat pump be shut off during the winter or will it work just fine here in Southern California? Can I then replace the other component (blower/furnace) with something that has the same specs as the existing but very old one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

You could do all that. But your guess would be as good as mine as to if it will work and how well. That's a Frankenstein a system and you never know what the final outcome will be with that......it may even cost you more in the long run. Just my opinion.

Hmm Inside coil

If my current A/C unit is 3.5 ton and the heat pump is 3.5 ton do I need to make adjustments to the inside coil? I'm guessing the inside coil is installed on top of the blower in the garage where the piping from the outside compressor connects?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rmuffinsman View Post
    If my current A/C unit is 3.5 ton and the heat pump is 3.5 ton do I need to make adjustments to the inside coil? I'm guessing the inside coil is installed on top of the blower in the garage where the piping from the outside compressor connects?
    The indoor coil needs to be replaced. Yes to your second ?.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

An 8 year old 10 SEER obsolete 3.5 ton heat pump that has no warranty.
    If the compressor dies in a month, it will cost you more to fix it then you paid for it.

Many companies have financing plans. Some with same as cash plans, Call around and locate one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Electricity is very expensive in so.cal, I know with the mild climate there that a heat pump would work well, but I think you will spend more in electricity than if you just stayed with gas. I have not seen too many heat pumps used down there. As far as the others say, you will have to replace your coil, and then deal with other hidden issues that may arise. I dont know where you would find a halfway decent company that would want to fool with installing such a system for you, and I would hope that you dont attempt it yourself. I know it sucks, but it might work out better if you just financed a new system through a good reliable company.

Exclamation Cost is an issue though

My wife and I are thinking of selling the next time the market takes a positive swing. I had a bid for the entire system including outside condenser, the inside parts like the coil and furnace, blower and the price was about $X,XXX. Don't really have an extra $X,000 lying around.

Thus the questions.

If anyone knows of a reliable company in southern california who won't overcharge I would be willing to go that way.

Thank you.
    Last edited by rmuffinsman; 09-30-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Remove the price. Its not allowed on this site.

Thats not a bad price.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Red face

If everything was in showroom shape there would still be problems I would take the $800.00 and buy a CD or bond.
    But all that aside you need to know the history on a unit before you jump in there a used unit A/C not maintained over 7 years old is close to toast. Heat Pumps though they last longer have about twice the things that can go wrong.(check valves,defrost controls,metering devices)
    You can buy a tstat that locks out the heatpump in the heat mode if second stage is reached.
    You may be able to use your old A/C coil for reverse cycle heating but it may need some modifications.
    If you use the heat pump just for cooling you will not have to change the tstat.
    Good Luck