14 SEER Trane HVAC system
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

14 SEER Trane HVAC system

The builder for our new house states that the air conditioner to be installed is a 14 SEER Trane HVAC system. Some investigation on my part finds that they are using a 13 SEER outside Trane unit with a Allstyle coil to get the 14 SEER rating.

Is this common practice for builders to state a Trane HVAC system will be installed, then actually install a cheaper outside unit with a third party coil to achieve the stated SEER rating?

Ask for a complete matched AC system and get the ARI rating to find out the TRUE SEER rating and if it is a matched system.

Quote Originally Posted by mmckenzi View Post
    The builder for our new house states that the air conditioner to be installed is a 14 SEER Trane HVAC system. Some investigation on my part finds that they are using a 13 SEER outside Trane unit with a Allstyle coil to get the 14 SEER rating.

Is this common practice for builders to state a Trane HVAC system will be installed, then actually install a cheaper outside unit with a third party coil to achieve the stated SEER rating?
    we can get 14 seer on 13 seer condensers with trane or adp coils it is all on what you match to what.
    Just because its not a trane coil doesn't mean it isn't a matched system. If ARI matches it it qualifies for the rebates, thats all this SEER bs is for anyway. As far as I can tell around here the difference in savings from 13 to 16 to 21 seer, is no where near worth the added expense of a higher seer unit. the only reason I will go to a 16 seer when mine croaks is for the comfort gain going 2 stage.
    You can't fix stupid

Also if this combo is not in the ARI system as a combo, it is not going to fly for 14 seer rebates.
    You can't fix stupid

Let me restate my original question. Is it deceptive to advertise the AC system as a 14 SEER Trane HVAC System when a third party coil is used in place of a Trane coil?

Most likely your getting what they told you. A 14 SEER system.

If you have the mod numbers, you can check the SEER rating yourself on the ARI website.

It is a Trane system, so you probaly got what they said.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It's pretty typical to do that. 3rd party coils are often rated higher than factory coils. The ratings are computer simulated so may or may not really be getting them. OEM coils are actually tested.

Trane System

If I bought a Trane system; i would expect the indoor coil to be Trane branded.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

Personally I don't like tranes anyway. But alot of distributors are going with third party coils so what can you do. We are stuck with what we get.
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Like in the LOOOONG thread about Goodman & A. Dist. it boils down to: what did the contract call for... if you don't get complete model # listing of what to expect, you don't have much leverage to complain about what you got. Every brand has premium and builder. If the contract just says Lennox, are you getting XC13 or ACD13. If it just says Rheem are you getting a RAND-JAZ or 13AJA. Our contracts specify the outdoor unit model # and just say "matching coil". In some cases that will be a 3rd party but always will be ARI rated. So far no complaints.

Deceptive? Ask your lawyer. Its a common practice, especially common in new construction.

off brand coils

From my distribution experience, the basic reason for distributors selling off brand components is price! The distributor makes more money! In some cases, the distributor sells the ADP coil at the same price as the OEM coil would be. I personally think it is fraudulent if the installing contractor does not make clear to the consumer that certain components of a new system will be by others rather than the named manufacturer. I know there are thousands & thousands of split system heat pumps out there with Warren or other heaters in the air handler. If that Warren heater causes the house to burn down; do you think Trane or Carrier will back it? I don't think so! Would you want a Lexus with a Chevy engine in it?
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmckenzi View Post

if the contract states a 14 seer SYSTEM you are getting what it calls for.

probably the least of your worries on residential new construction.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast