Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chandleraz_guy View Post
    Tech claimed pressures were good with disch press=220, suct=76, superheat=8, sub-cool=13, and ambient=89f.
    The system may be overcharged, depending on the length and lift of the refrigerant lines.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 10-27-2007 at 12:02 AM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I'm just a HO but my noise was somehow coming from inside the discharge line going into the 4 way valve... If you connected your guage or held the line with alot of hand pressure it would pretty much go away.

Problem would also disappear once a load was present as it was only noisy during cooler ambient temps.

Unit just turned 1 yr old so I'm hopeful for a better 9 yrs of warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandotech View Post
    I had a similar problem once.

I was sent out to change a compressor on a fairly new goodman CU. My boss diagnosed the problem to the compresor making noise but it was running good. This unit is installed at his mother-in-laws house so it was kinda high on the priority list to get it solved. Anyway I guess he thought the valves were bad or it was fixing to go out. He tried putting vibration isolators under the unit to quiet it up before suspecting the compressor but of course it didn't work. I was a little suspect of the pump being bad when I got the call but I went to goodman and got a new pump anyway in case I was wrong. I went up to the unit with only a 5/16 nut driver and looked it over a bit. Listened to it and it really didn't sound like a pump going bad, just metal to metal rattling kinda. So I started pushing on the unit in different spots and found I could control the noise. Come to find out it was the discharge tube that was rubbing on the lower panel that is underneath the control box. When I removed the panel and restarted the unit the noise magically disappeared. I looked for witness marks on the panel, found the tube and adjusted it. Quick and simple. My boss was a little surprised at what the problem really was and maybe made him feel bad or embarrassed since it was a family members unit. Ohh well. I really wasn't in the mood to change a pump that day anyhow. Good thing it was easy.

I've had a check valve rattle on a few Trane heatpumps when they were running during a startup. Maybe the noise is from the check valve. It will kinda sound like something lightly bouncing around in the tubes of the outdoor unit.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

The HVAC-Talk Educational Forums is the best place on the net for your HVAC/R info!!!

VETO PRO PAC - The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Hey Orlandotech, I just installed a trane heat pump at my house and I think I have the same rattle comming fom a check valve. Did you do anything to fix it or did you just leave it?

Quote Originally Posted by kwhit View Post
    Hey Orlandotech, I just installed a trane heat pump at my house and I think I have the same rattle comming fom a check valve. Did you do anything to fix it or did you just leave it?
    Nope. I told the office about it so they could pass the info along to our rep at Trane. We will only mess with that repair if the customer complains about it, which has only happened once that i know of and that one was really noisy. Most of the time the HO's don't even notice or they think it's normal. I think Trane has a repair kit of some sort for that or a newer check valve and would be covered under warranty.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

The HVAC-Talk Educational Forums is the best place on the net for your HVAC/R info!!!

VETO PRO PAC - The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Thanks, I just did some research and found that trane has a magnet kit, and if that doesn't work they will send a new spring loaded check valve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12