Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Standing Water in Drain Pan

There is about 1/4 inch standing water in the drain pan for the coil in a Goodman 10 seer air handler. Is this too much water? The pipe that it drains into does not seem to be clogged. Just had this system installed and works great otherwise.

If you're talking about the secondary (or drip) pan, I would think so. The small amount of moisture that might accumulate in the drip pan should evaporate pretty quickly rather than accumulate. Given that, you may have a clogged primary drain.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    If you're talking about the secondary (or drip) pan, I would think so. The small amount of moisture that might accumulate in the drip pan should evaporate pretty quickly rather than accumulate. Given that, you may have a clogged primary drain.
    I just noticed that the air handler is not level. In fact it is tilted away from the drain hole and the drain hole is not completely flush with the bottom of the pan. This seems like a contributing factor. Should the air handler be perfectly level and the drain hole flush with the bottom of the pan?

yes

did you install this unit yourself?

if not and it was just installed, call the company that installed it ask the specific questions

after you ask them, tell us what they said, is this a horizontal application and

if its a horizontal, i disagree with one of the answers that was posted here!

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    did you install this unit yourself?

if not and it was just installed, call the company that installed it ask the specific questions

after you ask them, tell us what they said, is this a horizontal application and

if its a horizontal, i disagree with one of the answers that was posted here!
    I did not install myself and the unit is vertical. Tech was just here and will return with shims to set unit level next week. When he tipped unit toward drain hole all water drained out. Coil was rusted right up to the water line. The unit is only a month old, I guess it was born to rust. Tech really did not admit to anything being wrong but says he is doing this for customer satisfaction. Common sense just tells me that there should be no standing water in the drain pan and the rust on the brand new coil proves that point. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Physoft View Post
    I did not install myself and the unit is vertical. Tech was just here and will return with shims to set unit level next week. When he tipped unit toward drain hole all water drained out. Coil was rusted right up to the water line. The unit is only a month old, I guess it was born to rust. (Tech really did not admit to anything being wrong but says he is doing this for customer satisfaction.) Common sense just tells me that there should be no standing water in the drain pan and the rust on the brand new coil proves that point. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
    your common sense sounds like good old common sense to me

Many installation instructions and good practice say the indoor coil should be installed with the coil pitched so the condensate drain connection is at a low point. An additional benefit to the pan completely draining it stops the condensate from re-evaporating into the air stream.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac-tech-lane View Post
    Many installation instructions and good practice say the indoor coil should be installed with the coil pitched so the condensate drain connection is at a low point. An additional benefit to the pan completely draining it stops the condensate from re-evaporating into the air stream.
    You are correct, I read the installation instructions. This will also create other problems. Pitching the unit toward the drain hole (with shims?) will create a gap(s) under the unit and allow air to flow directly into the coil instead of through the air intake and filter. What is the best way to cover or seal these gaps?
    The air handler sits in a closet with very little clearance around the back of the unit from the inside. Almost impossible to get around back to seal gaps. Is there any other way to get the drain pan to drain properly? Should I pull the coil out and clean the rust off? Once the coil is clean is there some type of spray insulation or rust inhibitor that would prevent rust and condensation that I could spray on the coil? With the coil out it would be easier to seal the back and sides of the unit. Is there a special type of gasket or shim that should be used for this application? What's the right way to do this job?

Is there any other way to get the drain pan to drain properly? Should I pull the coil out and clean the rust off? Once the coil is clean is there some type of spray insulation or rust inhibitor that would prevent rust and condensation that I could spray on the coil? With the coil out it would be easier to seal the back and sides of the unit. Is there a special type of gasket or shim that should be used for this application? What's the right way to do this job?
    i am not saying the installer improperly installed anything but;

if my new unit was rusting after a month due to an improper installation,

i might have issues with the installer!

normally, i install all vertical airhandlers level,

which from what i have noticed (after 27 years) has never caused

any type of premature rusting, if your that worried about the rust, call the manufacturer and see

what they suggest, otherwise the tampering that you are thinking about doing, may void your warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    i am not saying the installer improperly installed anything but;

if my new unit was rusting after a month due to an improper installation,

i might have issues with the installer!

normally, i install all vertical airhandlers level,

which from what i have noticed (after 27 years) has never caused

any type of premature rusting, if your that worried about the rust, call the manufacturer and see

what they suggest, otherwise the tampering that you are thinking about doing, may void your warranty
    I called Goodman and they do not offer any kind of spray on rust inhibitor. I do want to risk voiding the warranty so I will leave well enough alone. They did suggust replacing the coil under warranty if it is rusted.

The unit came with two drain pans one vertical and another pan at 90 degrees tucked in under and along side the verticle pan for horizonital installs. The horizontal pan has legs on the opposite side of the drain which would pitch the whole pan toward the drain hole even if the air handler was not level. I do not see any legs on the vertical pan. It just sits flat, so in order the get this pan to drain properly the whole air handler will have to be pitched toward the drain as suggested in previous posts and in the installation manual. Could the horizonital pan be used instead of the pan that now sits under the coil? It looks to be about the same size. Goodman was silent on this quesiton other than to say that the horzonital pan should have been removed for vertical installs. If that pan can be used it will save a lot of shimming and patching of gaps under the air handler to get it pitched properly.

I called Goodman and they do not offer any kind of spray on rust inhibitor. I do want to risk voiding the warranty so I will leave well enough alone. They did suggust replacing the coil under warranty if it is rusted.

The unit came with two drain pans one vertical and another pan at 90 degrees tucked in under and along side the verticle pan for horizonital installs. The horizontal pan has legs on the opposite side of the drain which would pitch the whole pan toward the drain hole even if the air handler was not level. I do not see any legs on the vertical pan. It just sits flat, so in order the get this pan to drain properly the whole air handler will have to be pitched toward the drain as suggested in previous posts and in the installation manual. Could the horizonital pan be used instead of the pan that now sits under the coil? It looks to be about the same size. Goodman was silent on this quesiton other than to say that the horzonital pan should have been removed for vertical installs. If that pan can be used it will save a lot of shimming and patching of gaps under the air handler to get it pitched properly.

there you have it straight from the manufacturers mouth, what other questions are there

they said the horizontal pan should be removed, i remove them on all vertical installs

now your saying you want to rig something with something that is not supposed to be there

heck the system is only a month old, usually on installs, everyone gets a 1 year labor warranty

if your gonna worry about it, dont rig something, ask your installer to do the job properly

maybe he thinks its a perfect install, what he thinks is yet to be determined

could you post some pics of the install?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast