+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please help- Propane Stove Thermostat

Post Likes

Please help- Propane Stove Thermostat

Hello! We just had a propane stove In our new house checked out &setup with the propane company. The tech said it would be terribly easy for us to hook a thermostat up for convenience. Told me where to hook it and what kind to get. I picked up a millivolt thermostat and brought it home. After researching, I figured the W connector should end at the TH connector. Then, RH/RW to the TH/TP.

Without the thermostat hooked up, the pilot lights and stays lit fine. We hook the thermostat up, start the stove, it lights, and then once we turn the thermostat on it all goes out.

There is a power on/off switch on the back. Does that need to be disconnected for the thermostat to work? Any if your input would really help. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Hey krober, that sounds correct. we need ore information to help you. Whats the mfg and model# of the stove. Is the stove new or used?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Krobert1 View Post
    Hello! We just had a propane stove In our new house checked out &setup with the propane company. The tech said it would be terribly easy for us to hook a thermostat up for convenience. Told me where to hook it and what kind to get. I picked up a millivolt thermostat and brought it home. After researching, I figured the W connector should end at the TH connector. Then, RH/RW to the TH/TP.

Without the thermostat hooked up, the pilot lights and stays lit fine. We hook the thermostat up, start the stove, it lights, and then once we turn the thermostat on it all goes out.

There is a power on/off switch on the back. Does that need to be disconnected for the thermostat to work? Any if your input would really help. Thanks!
    do you have the manual for the heater?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
    Hey krober, that sounds correct. we need ore information to help you. Whats the mfg and model# of the stove. Is the stove new or used?
    Used stove that came with the house, so no manual. It is a Wonderfire 2610.

Post Likes
    we can't instruct you to fix this. your best bet would be to refer to the manual. it is possible more damage was done then thought. before you fire this I would certainly have it checked by a pro. wrong voltages to parts can do bad things.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    we can't instruct you to fix this. your best bet would be to refer to the manual. it is possible more damage was done then thought. before you fire this I would certainly have it checked by a pro. wrong voltages to parts can do bad things.
    Ok. Yea, I didn't think it was a big deal since the technician suggested I go out, buy a Millivolt thermostat, and hook it up to the connections he showed me. I wouldn't have thought to do it if a professional didn't suggest it. . . Thanks.

Post Likes
    As long as you didn't connect it to house power(120VAC) you didn't do any damage. However there is something else going on, perhaps a dirty pilot. But we really cant help you since you don't have any information on the unit.

Dad,
    I did not follow your post at all, I got the no DiY. but his problem in my opinion could fall under homeowner capable repair(i,e connecting the t-stat properly) There was no information given, but a request for information to determine if he need professional help or turn the pilot/on/off knob to on. If you could clarify I would appreciate it.

Post Likes
    Assisting a Home Owner to rewire a piece if equipment, alter a safety device or assisting with changing the manufacturer's gas and electrical certification stamps are strictly forbidden here.

If this unit can be wired with a MV stat, which we do not know at this point, then there will be proper instructions that a HO or DIY can follow if it is meant for them to preform the work. If not, this OP needs to ask for skilled professional assistance in his home town.

Thx and I appreciate you asking.

Post Likes
    Sorry I'm late to this discussion. Several things to note here: a tech was out but the homeowner was the one to install the thermostat. The tech is the one who should have determined if this appliance is heater rated and even suitable for operation off a thermostat, determined the length and type of wire/ resistance, type of stat and location of stat then hook it up. Too much to go wrong but a few consequences of improper selections from this list can include won't work, delayed ignition resultant damage to stove or personal injury, sooting, sporadic operation and failure to manage heat as intended. Also, this sounds like an aftermarket stat and not from the OEM.

While most mfr.s sell hearth appliances with the intent a homeowner can DIY it, once a tech is present, it changes things. Even a cash & carry sale is a lot different than a sale through a local retailer who also installs it regarding liability.

In this case, we have a homeowner DIY that experienced an operational problem--done. No further internet diagnostics. Call a tech.

The OP mentioned a power on/off switch in the back. Again, red flag. Did he connect line voltage to a millivolt system? how is it all wired? FYI, a stove intended for thermostatic control usually has a three way switch on the stove so it can be operated either manually or switched to thermostatic. The fact the OP did not report this type of switch is another red flag that this stove may not be approved for thermostatic use in the first place.

We can't see over the internet so we should not be giving step by step advice on how to connect what many perceive as an innocuous thermostat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Krobert1 View Post
    Ok. Yea, I didn't think it was a big deal since the technician suggested I go out, buy a Millivolt thermostat, and hook it up to the connections he showed me. I wouldn't have thought to do it if a professional didn't suggest it. . . Thanks.
    I don't blame you. he shouldn't have suggested it. especially if it's 2 different voltages.

Post Likes
    OK, I understand you have liabilities you want to keep to a minimum, but my point is(In my humble opinion) we write things off as "we cant help you" far to often. We may as well have a sticky that says "sorry we cant help you, call a professional" which funny enough would be the best advice for about 80% of the traffic.
    We have no information on the unit, which until we get some we cant help, I understand that part. But why not try to get some information where we could help safely, and save somebody $100. for instance, we know that it is a millivolt valve because it has the TH\TP connections, so even with almost no information we know that it could be something simple. I just want to know why after I request more information the thread get shutdown.

Yes there are red flags, but in my experience the red flags are just the HO not knowing the correct term for something. for example he said there was a power switch on the back of the unit. Most of us already know that this is most likely not the case, and in fact it is just a simple on/off switch that we would expect on most units(hence the request for model and mfg).

Sorry to be a pain about this but i was really surprised to see you jump in so early in the conversation, that I want to know how I can approach things more correctly for this site

P.S. On the whole calling a professional isn't always the best answer because you never know who you will get, and or whether he will have any training or certs. this industry especially on the gas side of things is full of "professionals" that don't even know what and or how to take gas pressure readings or how to adjust air shutter...ect. I am always cleaning up after other "professionals" have made a mess of things.
    OK I think I am done now feel free to delete move and or lock thread. I just wanted this to be read by hearth and dad mainly sorry again, I will go back to my corner.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
    OK, I understand you have liabilities you want to keep to a minimum, but my point is(In my humble opinion) we write things off as "we cant help you" far to often. We may as well have a sticky that says "sorry we cant help you, call a professional" which funny enough would be the best advice for about 80% of the traffic.
    We have no information on the unit, which until we get some we cant help, I understand that part. But why not try to get some information where we could help safely, and save somebody $100. for instance, we know that it is a millivolt valve because it has the TH\TP connections, so even with almost no information we know that it could be something simple. I just want to know why after I request more information the thread get shutdown.

Yes there are red flags, but in my experience the red flags are just the HO not knowing the correct term for something. for example he said there was a power switch on the back of the unit. Most of us already know that this is most likely not the case, and in fact it is just a simple on/off switch that we would expect on most units(hence the request for model and mfg).

Sorry to be a pain about this but i was really surprised to see you jump in so early in the conversation, that I want to know how I can approach things more correctly for this site

P.S. On the whole calling a professional isn't always the best answer because you never know who you will get, and or whether he will have any training or certs. this industry especially on the gas side of things is full of "professionals" that don't even know what and or how to take gas pressure readings or how to adjust air shutter...ect. I am always cleaning up after other "professionals" have made a mess of things.
    OK I think I am done now feel free to delete move and or lock thread. I just wanted this to be read by hearth and dad mainly sorry again, I will go back to my corner.
    there are multiple warnings and banners stating this. also there are 2 other threads going discussing diy. we help as far as we can. some like it, some don't.

Post Likes
    Vader, as I pointed out, millivolt systems are not inherently "safe" and thus do present some potential safety issues. To clarify to what extent we can help might be to offer our opinion as to if a tech's findings/ recommendations make sense or not but not step by step instructions on how to do something.

Yes, the competence of techs in the hearth industry is abysmal but the same can be said for hvac, electrical, plumbing, car repair and anything else you wan to name. That doesn't absolve the responsibility of the homeowner to call them then hold them accountable for their actions or inactions.

The red flags I noted here should be more than an indication this homeowner is not a hearth qualifed tech familiar with the terminology of hearth products.

You made the point we don't know the unit or any other details about the installation, which is correct. To my point, then why are you anxious to provide DIY advice on fixing something you can't even identify? Perhaps your attention would be better focused on identification of the product and components first.

" But why not try to get some information where we could help safely, and save somebody $100. for instance, we know that it is a millivolt valve because it has the TH\TP connections, so even with almost no information we know that it could be something simple. I" Maybe you could tell us offline or in the Pro section what you feel would be an example of something you could help with "safely" whatever that term means. It could be something simple whether mv, DSI, HSI, IPI or even match lit. I think the issue is more what could go wrong. For instance, I've seen enough mv systems wired with line voltage and still worked enough to fool everyone. Not trying to be paranoid but prudent.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in