Thread: not sure if adequate airflow

Post Likes

not sure if adequate airflow

I just moved into a new home and the AC doesn't seem to be blowing well enough. How does a homeowner that is not in the HVAC biz able to verify if the air flow is correct. I have a 5 ton goodman cooling a 2700 sq ft home with part of that footage is a 400 sq ft upstairs room above the kitchen space. I have a return upstairs 14x20 and a return downstairs 20x 25 on the left side of the living space. The ceilings are 10ft throughout and the living room is 12ft (400sqft). Ceiling fans throughout. The thermostat is set on "auto" for the fan and 75 degrees. Unit seems to run constantly. Thanks

Post Likes
    Your question can be reworded as "My unit runs constantly, so what's wrong with it"?

Already you're trying to diagnose the problem yourself, when you should be calling a professional. This isn't a DIY forum. Not that it matters, because nobody on the planet can diagnose your system by the size of your house and the size of the unit.

For what it's worth, when the discharge air is at room temp it's harder to "feel" how much is coming out of the vents. I've had customers swear that "no" air was coming out of their vents when in fact the air flow was quite normal. Once getting the condensing unit running again and the air actually cooling, they could feel the air moving out of the vents again. Don't try to diagnose this system's problems yourself, cause it isn't likely to happen. Make the call.

Post Likes
    You do need a pro to come out and find the problem. Try this http://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com/find.cfm if you think it an air flow problem
    "We'll have to outwit the fiend with our superior intelligence." Yukon Cornelius

Some people are like Slinkies---not good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Post Likes
    Agree that you need a professional to take a look and the NCI reference is the right place to look.

I will comment that your return air grilles are too small for a 5 ton unit, which is certainly one of your problems. You need someone to look at the entire picture to understand what needs to be done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in