Converting gas to wood burning

I have a Majestic MBU36 model gas fireplace and would like to convert it to wood burning. How difficult would this be and Whom might I call to do this task for me?
    Last edited by cfknight; 09-15-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Cool have it backwards?

Most people convert from wood to gas but if that's what you want....

You need to do some research about your local resources. the first thing to consider is a Level II inspection. Try to locate a F.I.R.E. Certified Fireplace Inspector ar www.f-i-r-e-service.com . For the conversion, check around for someone certified by the National Fireplace Institute, preferrably in gas and wood: www.nficertified.org. Make sure the person you contract with is not only experienced in hearth appliances but their insurance covers this work. Also check with your local building dept. to see what licenses your contractors need and if you need to pull a permit.

When you say you have a "gas fireplace" just understand if you have a factory built fireplace listed to ANSI Z21.88 or Z21.50, you cannot convert it to wood. If you have a woodburning factory built Fp listed to UL127 with gas logs installed, it might be converted back to wood if it isn't damaged. If it is a factory built Fp, contact the mfr. with the model and serial number for a new grate, doors, refractory panels, etc. and the contact info. of the nearest dealer. That is provided for general info. to anyone reading this.

The Majestic MBU36 is a woodburning factory built fireplace listed to UL 127. At the very least you'll need the Level II inspection and any parts that had been removed replaced. Was this a set of gas logs or a gas insert with liners and termination cap?

HTH,
    Hearthman

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Was this a set of gas logs or a gas insert with liners and termination cap?

HTH,
    Hearthman
    I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean.

Question

Is the inside of the firebox still visible or is there a thing kinda like a stove shoved into it with aluminum liners up the flue and a different kind of termination?

The firebox is visible. I don't know anything about fireplaces but it looks like a woodburning, just with gas. I have a full chimney if that makes any since. Some one told me to look up the flue to see if It goes all the way up or not, what I saw was .......I don't know, about an 8" pipe that goes all the way up? Sorry if I sound lost, cause I am.

Cool

Sounds like you have just gas logs. If there is a tag, it will say ANSI Z21.60 for vented logs or Z21.11.2b for ventfree. Either way, have a pro who is familiar with Majestic woodburners do the conversion after the inspection.
    HTH,
    Hearthman