+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fieldpiece meters

Post Likes
    All high impedance meters will show "ghost voltage". It is the voltage induced from adjacent wires. Get a cheap analog meter and you will read the true voltage on the item you're testing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Only compatible with Fluke??
    No but I'd guess that all high impedance meters don't have the same exact input impedance so results may vary a bit. Some years ago I tried my various clamp meters on a extension cord that had a broken ground wire so it read ghost voltage. Every different meter read it a bit different but I never tried the SV225 on it but maybe I didn't have one at that time.

On Fluke DMMs it becomes approx. 3K ohms input impedance.
    Bill

Post Likes
    I'm curious here. What kind of error are you seeing? Are you getting several volts of error? I use a UEi DL259 and while it takes a second or two to settle when turning it on or changing functions, the residual 0.021VAC bouncing around 0v will quickly settle down once I short the probes or take a measurement. Most of my voltage tests are go/no go, and a couple tenths at 248VAC doesn't make any difference. Amps can be a headache, but that is usually because I can't separate the conductor out of the pack and away from xformers, relay coils or just plain sheet metal. Experience helps here. After looking at the price on that Fluke part, I think I can build a little box myself that will do that function for a lot less. It just won't look as neat and won't have the expen$ive Fluke decal on it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by epmiller View Post
    I'm curious here. What kind of error are you seeing? Are you getting several volts of error? I use a UEi DL259 and while it takes a second or two to settle when turning it on or changing functions, the residual 0.021VAC bouncing around 0v will quickly settle down once I short the probes or take a measurement. Most of my voltage tests are go/no go, and a couple tenths at 248VAC doesn't make any difference. Amps can be a headache, but that is usually because I can't separate the conductor out of the pack and away from xformers, relay coils or just plain sheet metal. Experience helps here. After looking at the price on that Fluke part, I think I can build a little box myself that will do that function for a lot less. It just won't look as neat and won't have the expen$ive Fluke decal on it.
    Are you asking me??

To be more clear, every different manufacturer's circuits are different so when it comes to ghost voltage, each will be different. IIRC, they varied by 5-10V but were talking ghost voltage here. Nobody is going to compare ghost voltage in a real situation, I'm just stating that they do read differently.
    Bill

Post Likes
    666571rii

Post Likes
    Have a bunch of meters, Field Piece, Amprobe, and a Fluke, most of the time I grab the Fluke. The fluke has a louder OHM buzzer, I can barely hear the field piece.

Post Likes
    So finally used the fieldpiece SC-56 today. Paired with my Fluke fused leads, I was troubleshooting a 15HP motor on a HRV. I enjoyed the swivel on the amp clamp, and the light, and the inrush was helpful.

WHY thought, was the voltage so slow to respond… I wish I had brought my fluke 116 or 902 with me to compare, but it just seemed as though it was super slow. For example, testing voltage drop across overload, on each phase, it would start out at like 7 or 8 volts, and then as I held the leads on the terminals, it would eventually drop to about 1 to 2 volts.

Don't get it… next week, I'll carry the Fluke along too to compare, just wondered if anyone had any similar experiences or thoughts on this…

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in