Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It means Twilli hasn't sent bribe money to state officials yet.
    ok....... that I can accept...... lol

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says make sure he does a manual D.
    What is a manual D? I've seen it on a poster's signature...

Just my opinion, but Manual D might not be your top priority for a boiler install.

Twilli thinks that proposal sounds extremely comprehensive.

What kind of warranties are they giving you?

We also isolate the expansion tank and everything else we can...Twilli don't like getting tools orTwilli wet.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Yeah skip the Manual D....just make sure they are NATE certified.

IBR???????

Quote Originally Posted by jstyblo View Post
    What is a manual D? I've seen it on a poster's signature...

Twilli too.

Twilli thinks that proposal sounds extremely comprehensive.

What kind of warranties are they giving you?

We also isolate the expansion tank and everything else we can...Twilli don't like getting tools orTwilli wet.
    LOL - good tip on isolating the expansion tank... The warranty is one year parts and labor. Also, I checked 2 out of 3 references (couldn't' reach the third - sounds like a property management company) and they were excellent. I like the guy, too.

Thanks much for all the great feedback, Twilli.

Best Regards, Jim

Twilli says your welcome. Thanks for being a good sport. It sounds like your in good hands. Are you in the New England area?

Twilli says your welcome. Thanks for being a good sport. It sounds like your in good hands. Are you in the New England area?
    Yes, I've lived in CT for just over a year. Originally I'm from Chicago. From there I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for about 7 years, then I moved to Poughkeepsie, New York and stayed there for about 7 years. Finally, about a year ago, we moved to our present home in CT.

Incidentally, my Dad left Ft. Lauderdale a few years before I did and has been living in Toledo, OH for close to 10 years now, which I see is where you are located.

The oil boiler gave it away, or at least made it the most logical guess, Twilli had put in many oil boilers, but they seem to be a thing of the past in Toledo...oil, still many boilers in the old historic districts.

Have your dad call me if he ever has a problem. Twilli will treat him right. Also not talk in third person as that might scare someone on the phone or in person...

Good luck and post some pictures. Also do the PM's as suggested as oil boilers can plug up easily

The oil boiler gave it away, or at least made it the most logical guess, Twilli had put in many oil boilers, but they seem to be a thing of the past in Toledo...oil, still many boilers in the old historic districts.

Have your dad call me if he ever has a problem. Twilli will treat him right. Also not talk in third person as that might scare someone on the phone or in person...

Good luck and post some pictures. Also do the PM's as suggested as oil boilers can plug up easily

I'll definitely give my Dad your contact info and I'm a believer in PM - much easier to keep something going instead of fixing something after it's broke. And don't worry about talking in the third person - after my Mom died back in '91 it was just my Dad, little brother and I, and over time we ended-up grunting at each other instead of using words. Good thing we three eventually found good wives to keep us civilized.

I'd check on who's going to maintain and service the boiler in the future. Personally I've seen hundreds if not thousands of boilers installed that easily lasted through the 1-year warranty period. Then 2 or 3 years into use, they needed a service repair and couldn't find a tech with the knowledge to service the unit. Used to do work for a manufacturer and I can't tell you how many times I was referred calls from them and when I got to the home and the door opened, I identified myself (like they couldn't read the truck ads?) and the first response from the client was "Thank goodness I finally found someone who knows how to work on this boiler". There's a lot of people willing to take your money for the install and they might in fact do a great install. But who's going to be there when you do need service? That's the most overlooked question in the industry, IMO. As a side bar, in our state there's a world of difference between the installations done by a plumber and those done by a heating company. Two different animals. Most plumbers in our state put "...& Heating" on their trucks just to get the installs and they NEVER have to live with what they've installed. In fact, around here if it's a new gas pipe, the gas company will pick up the 1-year of warranty. The installingn plumber is done as soon as he cashes your check. As you can probably tell, that's a sore point with the techs at our company. We know what we need to do (all the isolation valve suggestions for example) to make the job a good one at the start and forever, for the life of the equipment. But we constantlly battle with the low ball bidder who's installing the same equipment to a lower standard and will never be the one to maintain or service it. LIke the military pilots say, "Check your Six".
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    I'd check on who's going to maintain and service the boiler in the future. Personally I've seen hundreds if not thousands of boilers installed that easily lasted through the 1-year warranty period. Then 2 or 3 years into use, they needed a service repair and couldn't find a tech with the knowledge to service the unit. Used to do work for a manufacturer and I can't tell you how many times I was referred calls from them and when I got to the home and the door opened, I identified myself (like they couldn't read the truck ads?) and the first response from the client was "Thank goodness I finally found someone who knows how to work on this boiler". There's a lot of people willing to take your money for the install and they might in fact do a great install. But who's going to be there when you do need service? That's the most overlooked question in the industry, IMO. As a side bar, in our state there's a world of difference between the installations done by a plumber and those done by a heating company. Two different animals. Most plumbers in our state put "...& Heating" on their trucks just to get the installs and they NEVER have to live with what they've installed. In fact, around here if it's a new gas pipe, the gas company will pick up the 1-year of warranty. The installingn plumber is done as soon as he cashes your check. As you can probably tell, that's a sore point with the techs at our company. We know what we need to do (all the isolation valve suggestions for example) to make the job a good one at the start and forever, for the life of the equipment. But we constantlly battle with the low ball bidder who's installing the same equipment to a lower standard and will never be the one to maintain or service it. LIke the military pilots say, "Check your Six".
    Do you think it's a good idea to have your oil co do your PM and repairs? I've never really had a "bad" experience with it, but I've talked to other contractors that say they really don't do a good job at PM and cleaning because they have a vested interest in keeping the efficiency low so that you burn more oil.

Thanks, Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast