Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How much experience do you need to become proficient at installing a boiler?

Ive read form other posts on this site that when replacing an old boiler that the new boiler model isnt necessarily as important as is the installation. Ive settled on a Burnham MPO147. I have a plumber bidding on the project with 15 years plumbing and heating experience. Hes installed approximately 25 Burnhams and 8 of those have been MPOs.

Is that enough experience so that he should know how to properly install my MPO?

Thanks, Jim

Keep in mind, if an installer puts in 1,000 boilers the wrong way, he has experience. I would rather have an installer who has no experience with a particular model but can read the instructions. So I would say it depends. Do you feel the installer is going to do a good job and do it correctly? That is what matters if you ask me. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    Keep in mind, if an installer puts in 1,000 boilers the wrong way, he has experience. I would rather have an installer who has no experience with a particular model but can read the instructions. So I would say it depends. Do you feel the installer is going to do a good job and do it correctly? That is what matters if you ask me. Good luck.
    Oh so true. Referrals are nice.

good point

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    That's a very good point. I still have to check references, but I otherwise feel comfortable with him. He did a good job explaining what he planned to do and provided two options for solutions.

Thanks, Jim

Thumbs up

Make sure whomever you use doesn't skimp out on isolation valves, both sides of the fill valve, both sides of the circulating pump if it's not directly on the boiler like some. Service friendly will always pay in the long run.

I installed my first one properly.......probably better than the last one.

Twilli says make sure he does a manual D.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Twillis knows alot about boilers........ Twilli used to be tea kettle!?

What's my post count now?
    UA Local 636

Twilli state of Ohio Hydronics Contrator....#16134

http://www.com.state.oh.us/dic/lics/elicense.aspx

Twilli......are you aware that you are ACTIVE IN RENEWAL ....... I don't know what that means but it sounds kinda shady to me man.......

It means Twilli hasn't sent bribe money to state officials yet.

Twilli have many license

Quote Originally Posted by keepyoucool2003 View Post
    Make sure whomever you use doesn't skimp out on isolation valves, both sides of the fill valve, both sides of the circulating pump if it's not directly on the boiler like some. Service friendly will always pay in the long run.
    That's an awesome tip! Thanks!

Here's everything else in the proposal if you don't mind suggesting anything else I should ask for (I understand this is not against the rules since I'm not including the cost.)

*Labor to include disconnection, removal and disposal of existing boiler and components.
    *Installation of one (1) Burnham MPO147 boiler, less hot water coil with a Beckett AFG Burner. Job to get all new taco 007 Circulators (with Priority) with built in Flo-Checks, new zone panel, boiler control, low water cut off and circulator isolation valves, auto feed to boiler, boiler will be wired and fired to check for leaks and efficiency with smoke test. All heating loops will be filled and purged to check for heat through out the house and hot water.
    *Remove all old valves and accessories
    *Installation of new oil lines from the the existing oil tank to the the burner and one new General 1A25A canister assembly and new fire valve at burner.
    *Installation of a new flue pipe from boiler to chimney including a new draft regulator.
    *Installation of a Beckett HeatManager
    *All work will be performed with a high degree of craftsmanship and in compliance with applicable regulations and codes.
    *Boiler replacements will be completed in a timely manner. The building affected will not be without hot and cold domestic water or hot water for space heating for more than twelve (12) hours at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by keepyoucool2003 View Post
    That's an awesome tip! Thanks!

Here's everything else in the proposal if you don't mind suggesting anything else I should ask for (I understand this is not against the rules since I'm not including the cost.)

*Labor to include disconnection, removal and disposal of existing boiler and components.
    *Installation of one (1) Burnham MPO147 boiler, less hot water coil with a Beckett AFG Burner. Job to get all new taco 007 Circulators (with Priority) with built in Flo-Checks, new zone panel, boiler control, low water cut off and circulator isolation valves, auto feed to boiler, boiler will be wired and fired to check for leaks and efficiency with smoke test. All heating loops will be filled and purged to check for heat through out the house and hot water.
    *Remove all old valves and accessories
    *Installation of new oil lines from the the existing oil tank to the the burner and one new General 1A25A canister assembly and new fire valve at burner.
    *Installation of a new flue pipe from boiler to chimney including a new draft regulator.
    *Installation of a Beckett HeatManager
    *All work will be performed with a high degree of craftsmanship and in compliance with applicable regulations and codes.
    *Boiler replacements will be completed in a timely manner. The building affected will not be without hot and cold domestic water or hot water for space heating for more than twelve (12) hours at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast