Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    I think he meant what he wrote on this page.
    But he didn't mean what his thread title is.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Exactly

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Penquin
    My senior tech is 45 yrs old and is an absolute wonder, the knowledge he brings to my staff is very important.
    But is it a realistic expectation to count on him to still be here climbing in attics and under houses in ten years? Doubtful.
    So far the search goes on, I have 3 good techs but still need 2 installers, problem is in this area most companies expect there installers to do little more then bang duct together, I want installers that can complete an installation from start to finish without having to send a service tech behind them to do the wiring and or brazing.
    Also I am trying to implement some changes in the way we do business increasing our customer service with things like random drug test, not allowing field employees to smoke on customer property or in company vehicles, wearing shoe covers in every home, 10 year parts and labor warranties on installations, 1 year on repairs. Etc.
    That has so far brought fourth a bunch of grumbling from employees, nobody like change.
    A woman has the last word in any argument
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Just be careful how you word your employment request....You know we live in a sue happy society and even though I think you have a justified clause for needing a younger tech. make sure you have reasons to back that up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a problem in VA.

VA. is a "right to work" state and affords many luxuries to employee because of that, but it also has a few perk for the employer one of which being that any reason I choose for not hiring a potential employee is within my right.
    If an applicant has a prosthetic leg it would be very difficult at best for him/her to climb into attics, that’s all the reason I need.

I'm in NC which is also a right to work state however that does not mean you are void against discriminatory practices. Federal and local law still applies. It was just a heads up as you have posted your business information and email address so now it's on the web for everyone to see.

example...you have en employee that obviously has an alcohol or drug problem and has been showing up late. he explains to you that he is in rehab for alcohol abuse and he needs help. Under these circumstance you would want to fire him however he is now protected in NC under the rehabilitation act and is a "protected class". So that leaves you with...well I will find a reason to fire him...he's still protected. It's like someone calling OSHA on you for dangerous work conditions at that point he is protected and any recourse to try and punish them for being cautious is against the law and punishable in court with fines and possible punitive damages.

Again just a heads up you been in business for a long time so....take it for what it's worth...any question about laws and regulations you might have a look at:

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 10-08-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Same thing here

but if that employee will cause the reputation of your company to suffer by smelling of alcohol when in contact with your customers you are not required to accomodate him.
    you are only required to make "reasonable accomodations"

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business or anything. I understand what your getting at and it's an understandable and most likely defensible course of action. These are all items I have been through in the past and thought I'd just throw it out sense legal actions were brought up by a earlier post.

I understand

Thanks for your concern.

Hmm

http://www.bestplaces.net/

Our cost of living indices are based on a US average of 100. An amount below 100 means Norfolk, VA is cheaper than the US average. A cost of living index above 100 means Norfolk, VA is more expensive.

Overall, Norfolk, VA cost of living is 96.22.
    Overall, Virginia Beach, VA cost of living is 108.74.

Virginia Beach, VA Income and Salaries
    The income per capita is $26,221, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $55,039.

Norfolk, VA Income and Salaries
    The income per capita is $19,707, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $36,762.

"Our installer position pay scale is $18.00-$20.00 and our service scale is $20.00-$25.00"

That's more then most companys pay doing only residential and light commercial heating and air conditioning.

"Things like paid Nextel, paid cell phone, uniforms and truck priveleges are not really *benefits* to the employees, those are things you need to do in order to run a successful and professional company."

But every employee wants a company cell phone, uniforms and truck priveleges. So it does help to get someone to come work for you.

Sounds like a good job but you just had to add this part.
    "Take home vehicle (service dept. only)" If I was an installer in your area I wouldn't work for you. If you want the best installers then let them take a company truck home. Service dept. must take home a truck, that's a benefit to you.

Man this is a tough crowd

My install trucks are all 16 foot box trucks and are not allowed to be parked in residential zones, couple that with the fact that there is no need for them to take a truck home and I'm sure you can see why they do not.
    I'm sure you can see the benefit of what you suggest, I to would like it if someone else would relieve me of the considerable expense of maintaining an automobile, and paid my insurance, and paid for my gas, and tires and oil changes. But alas we live in the real world.

Yep its a tough crowd

you stated you wanted to stand out from your compeditors

It seems to me what you listed is a standard list that all the better companies provide ( jet ski excepted)

you have yet to post something that is uniquely yours that would stand out amonst the local companies in your area - untill you do so you will not get a "best of the best installer" or tech

Any good savy tech or installer will not jump co's for occasional use of a jet ski

And I'm still steamed on the agism thing
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Put your 2 cents in, just a penny for your thoughts?

Someone is making a penny! Alot of great free advice has been given in this thread, some not to great. I have been self-employed in Southern Calif since late 1999. I have a partner so that makes us a 2 man show. We both do 100% of our own work, both service and installs: no helpers. Each year we discuss becoming "employers". So far, we would rather just do everything ourselves. We cover an area over 3,000 square miles, (60 miles x 60 miles). We've both done over 20 calls a day during heat waves. I am 42 years old. In reading this thread, you've won my admiration and respect. However, it does reinforce why I am self-employed= the money. I used to work for an HVACR wholesaler. Upon becoming a partner in the 90% service company, my income doubled with added value of freedom, flexibility and independence. Each year, I increase my earnings by about 10K. I have 4 sons, (ages 10, 11, 12, & 13) that my wife works hard over at home, and that means that I alone must earn the minimum 6K a month that goes out as bill paying for my family. So, even the best may need to put their wives to work or settle for a net of less than 50K yearly. That being said, If I had to go to work for someone, you sound like a fantastic employer. Your cost of living and pay scale are similar to those in my area.

Well I guess that's your right

There gotta be room in the world for steamed Penguin
    I like mine fried and dipped in butter.
    Maybe I can satisfy both of your issues at one time, how about I provide all of my 50 yr. old employees a free Hoveround, man that should do it.
    Sense you seem to be so satisfied to tell me I'm wrong, perhaps you could suggest some "realistic" suggestions of benefits that you would conceder to set a company apart from the rest?
    Or are you one of those who dwell on negativity?

snowderandsons; Thank you for your kind words, quite refreshing.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast