Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Hey Pioneer, I just want to say that what you have posted does not sound like it would be below average, Actually sounds like it would be a lil above average, as state previously I'm not sure that your going to get the top dogs though either, but I would say that as long as your willing to accept them you might be able to get ya some really sharp pups AKA techs with 3 - 7 years expierience and then maybe you can grow them into the " Best of The Best".

Me being a 25 yr old single male with 7 years exp I admit if I were in your area I would be interested in what you are offering, but its kind of intimidating if you looking for a 35 year old with 15 years exp or better and you might be calling them the best of the best.

Anyhow thought I would throw my two cents in even though I'm not in your area and my two cents doesn't really matter just like some of the critics that have replied to this thread.
    Work smarter not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I never said that there were not some benefits that would benefit the company as well, but that doesn't make it less of a benefit for the employee.
    Medical and dental also benefit the company to some extent yet are widely accepted as benefits.
    I really can't figure out how my business has made it sense 1990 sense obviously I have been doing everything wrong all along.
    Based on the first post, you are looking for the "best of the best".

The list of items that you bring to the table, as an employer in the "good to excellent catergory", has little difference from other employers also in the same "good to excellent" range if I attempt to evaluate and consider that list on dollar values only.

I am fully aware that two companies offering the same thing money wise can be at opposite ends of the spectrum in the human relations department.

If wages and benefits at companies you consider comparable competition are offering pretty much the same thing, then what do you offer to get one of those "best of the best" technicians to jump ship?

Tool allowance? OT after 8 hours per day? No overtime (8 hrs only per day)? Signing bonus? Continuing ed? Daycare? Small call radius? Generous on-call standby pay? 4x10 hour days with rotating 4 day weekends? Flexible start times?

When you figure it out, those techs will come knocking.

If I am happy somewhere, it will take at least a 15% increase in compensation to jump. Why start over for a lateral move?

Maybe I should have worded the add differently

The person I am looking for does not absolutely have to BE the best, but must have substantial knowledge and the confidence to feel like he/she is the best.
    Actually I don't want someone who has been in the business for 25-30 years because they will not be a good long term prospect.
    I would prefer someone with ten years experience and a greater long term potential.

NEO...; I guess I left out our paid weekly training sessions, and the availability of about 30 classes a year through Trane, and 4 per year through our Qualified Gas Contractors Org.
    Also we are currently developing a Spiff program that will give the techs an incentive for selling change-outs, the only holdup on that is trying to make sure we are not encouraging the techs to sell un-needed replacements.
    Any thoughts on that?
    A woman has the last word in any argument
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Do you sell Coleman?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Not just picking on you

Pioneer
    I understand that we are in different markets I am just trying to help you get a broader picture, but at the same time you know your market better than I do. I understand VERY well about the spiff program problems.

We in Houston have had lots of experience with keeping techs from selling unneeded items. The only thing that I have ever found that even came close to monitoring that problem is having to create a "justification form." What I did was take our "measurement sheet" that gives the m# and s# on the existing equipment as well as the sizes and put a small paragraph area at the bottom that the technician has to write the reason for replacement or upgrade and have the customer sign it. This is reveiwed in the office before the installation and it helps keep an eye on what is happening in the feild. The penalty for selling un needed or unwanted equipment under false pretenses is termination. That needs to be made very clear. If you have good techs then it won't be an issue.

You sound like you have a decent training program online. find yourself a good mid to upper level tech and train him how you want him. I have found that this works ALOT better than just hiring someone and sticking him in a truck. you will have alot more loyalty out of him than the other guy. But if you get a guy with your wages as another bonus set goals and guarantee percentage wages and bonuses if he meets those performance goals.

If you want that form let me know and I will email it to you.

Greatly appreciated

I would love to see the form you use, sounds like it might be what I need.

Twilli: only in mobile home applications where I can't make a Trane work

pioneer

coolguyfl has a great form you might be interested in. Give him a shout.
    It can help bring in some good leads, plus you can use it as a double check that the change outs aren't just for spiff.

You might want to put your spiff pay out on a 60, or 90 day wait. That way there isn't any fast money temptation.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Another good idea

That in itself will probably reduce the problem by half.
    Thanks.

Guys who THINK they are

PIONEER, I have been in this business for almost 40 years and have rarely found anyone worth what they thought they were!!!!!!! I would love to have a job like you're offering (if only my wife could live on 800 a week)! The point is, if only those who think we (the employer) should pay more money could see the real total cost per hour and dollar for an employee and realize we can only charge so much for services they would appreciate what they get a little more. Good luck on the search. Good guys are easy to find.....great ones aren't!

How is the search comming Pioneer? I think that this guy is trying to do it right and it is hard around here in SE Va with all of the trunk slamming hacks we have to deal with. Good luck.

r404a

Actually I don't want someone who has been in the business for 25-30 years because they will not be a good long term prospect.

What a complet insult to us in the 40 to 50 crowd

I can run rings areound a 10 yr tech in both production, installs, troubleshooting, repairs and quality, and junior tech support

I was in your corner untill I read this agsism should be a federal offense

screw you Pioneer
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Penguin,
    After reading the posts here, I can understand what you are saying. I don't think Pioneer MEANT it that was, but I understand your point. Pioneer, would you clarify?

r404a

I think you over analize the statement. He aint anti old guy he's just saying he'd like to develope a long term situation.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast