My dandy for the day.

Sent out do a tearout and measure up for duct changes to improve return. Looked for the A/C and slapped my forehead as I should have known that everybody puts them there.
    Second Pic is looking up into a double panned joist where I ripped out the return drop....holes seen are used for picking up a panned joist right next to it...made with a 5/8" drill bit. Can't understand why it was always freezing up on them.
    Third pick is of this old a/c after I had helper strip it down to salvage copper. Took a smoke break and wondered where the contactor was. Have to admit I had never worked on one like this before. Chrysler product. I assume some kind of solid state board?...spent the afternoon building duct for an improvement. 2.5 ton system, btw.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

SHOOT IT! is it dead? SHOOT IT AGAIN!!!
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

I like the first picture.It looks like they put the sitting bench right behind the c/u so they have a nice foot rest,and place for their beer

Solid State Board????? Not on that vintage. If I rem correctly that is a Chrysler Air Temp 1400 series andddddddddddddddddddd the contactor is on the back side of that terminal board in the compressor housing. (flimsy lil thing). Serviced way to many of them in the 60' and 70's. Noisy, noisy, noisy,..
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

that's the first condenser i've seen from Chrysler.....i still change out a few furnaces here and there.

Is there a built in pool to go with the CU? Priceless!!!!!!

It's been a few years since someone posted a "Porch around the condenser" picture.

You always got to hold your breath (and laughter) when you walk up to one of those with the customer!

Yeah, these folks just moved into this house this summer and didn't even think about if we had to change the motor out, we had to tear up the deck. Added gas to it when they moved in and it was running short again. Told them it was time to retire the old girl. After ray's post, I looked behind the board and sure enough a little single pole relay style contactor. Have to replace the entire board (like anyone has that on their truck) or mount a contactor and totally rewire it.

Talking Nice!

Was that a compressor or R2-D2?

that is pitiful that somebody tried pulling air through those holes. On a new house we pull through the studs & carry it through the ceiling joices. We always cut the whole double plate out though & put up cold air frames on both sides. I've seen many that will drill about 3 holes with a 1 1/2 inch drill bit.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac hero View Post
    that is pitiful that somebody tried pulling air through those holes. On a new house we pull through the studs & carry it through the ceiling joices. We always cut the whole double plate out though & put up cold air frames on both sides. I've seen many that will drill about 3 holes with a 1 1/2 inch drill bit.
    Yeah, there was an installer in this little town that did this everywhere in the old days. Some people want it fixed when I find it, others say "it's been working ok for the last 20 years, why should I pay you to fix it."
    I ended up fabbing a 30x26x4 box and cutting out the panning to pick it all up...would have liked to have made it deeper, but existing gas and water lines for the water heater wouldn't allow it....major difference in air flow. Wish I would have done a before and after static on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabra View Post
    Was that a compressor or R2-D2?
    LOL
    S**t or get off the pot!