Unhappy York YRVBVBT3-46C 400 Bearing Problems

I have a customer with a new York screw chiller on its third compressor in 6 months. Has anyone had a problem with this compressor suffering a locked up rear bearing. The factory is being very closed mouth about this problem and my customer is very upset. We purchased and installed the chiller with the factory start up and experienced no problems for 800 hours. The second compressor failed at around 800 hours also. The failed compressors have been autopsied with no reports to us or the customer. The third compressor is being monitored by remote modem attached to a load of monitoring sensors installed by the factory.

Is anyone aware of "hushed" issues?

Feeling like a mushroom in N.C.

The factory will never tell you anything. They are obviously having issues with these units. Are these variable speed screws? I think that most times the technician who goes out is told to keep his mouth shut, and may not even know what is going on himself. The manufacture roles these things out before more R&D is done and screw the customer by letting it fail at their facility. All the while they give some song and dance about "this is the first that we are hearing about this" while the machine down the street is doing something similar. My two cents.

r404a

York YR Screw

Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    The factory will never tell you anything. They are obviously having issues with these units. Are these variable speed screws? I think that most times the technician who goes out is told to keep his mouth shut, and may not even know what is going on himself. The manufacture roles these things out before more R&D is done and screw the customer by letting it fail at their facility. All the while they give some song and dance about "this is the first that we are hearing about this" while the machine down the street is doing something similar. My two cents.

r404a
    No, it has a factory mounted solid state starter. I have information on two other bearing failures on the "C" design series. the customer has yet to receive a "I'm sorry for the problems you have experienced" from York.
    York has supplied a rental chiller and factory support to the local York rep.
    But the communications are terrible regarding the problems and the fix.

I have to give them credit for the rental chiller. As the installing contractor, how much of this have you guys had to eat?

r404a

I had the wrong info!

Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    I have to give them credit for the rental chiller. As the installing contractor, how much of this have you guys had to eat?

r404a
    York did not supply the rental as I was first told, but they will receive the bill for it. The job is in central N.C.
    One of our Project Manangers handled the rental chiller since the job is brand new and has experienced two failures.
    The York was a replacement for an old Carrier chiller that ran with no system problems since the sixties.
    The customer is holding us responsible for choosing the York. We are several thousand dollars into trips to the jobsite, meetings, and a black eye with a long term customer.
    The cost of the black eye is much greater than the other aspects of the undiagnosed chiller problem.

Latest from York

Quote Originally Posted by ACCMan View Post
    I have a customer with a new York screw chiller on its third compressor in 6 months. Has anyone had a problem with this compressor suffering a locked up rear bearing. The factory is being very closed mouth about this problem and my customer is very upset. We purchased and installed the chiller with the factory start up and experienced no problems for 800 hours. The second compressor failed at around 800 hours also. The failed compressors have been autopsied with no reports to us or the customer. The third compressor is being monitored by remote modem attached to a load of monitoring sensors installed by the factory.

Is anyone aware of "hushed" issues?

Feeling like a mushroom in N.C.
    York just disclosed the problem York Products Division has discovered. The oil separator has a pipe nipple welded into the bottom of it that may extend up too far for proper oil return. The fitting is suppose to be cut off during the build process, but it seems the build of these separators was moved to Durango Mexico where a note was left off of the drawings which resulted in the separators allowing vapor and oil to vortex at the nipple extension and feed vapor and some oil to the bearings. Pressure diff. was still there so the safties did not catch it. This only happened on the "C" series with a separator built in Durango. York is standing behind the fix for the problem and researching other "C" series chillers to determine the chillers involved with the separator issue.

Excellent information!!!
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by heaviwall View Post
    Removed quote at request of original poster, original post was deleted
    And we thought we were the only one with this problem!

Are you replacing the suction screen with #100 mesh screen?
    Last edited by HeyBob; 10-17-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Removed quote

Timeframe

Quote Originally Posted by heaviwall View Post
    Removed quote at request of original poster, original post was deleted
    Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by HeyBob; 10-17-2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Removed quote that was quoted from deleted post at request on the O/P

Another Compressor Lost

Anyone still having compressor problems with this Yr series?
    Customer just lost another compressor even with constant monitoring from York factory via direct connection with York. Local York Techs have maintained as per spec.

Customer very unhappy!