+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aint nothin like walkin by your own heat pump

Post Likes

Aint nothin like walkin by your own heat pump

after you get home at 5pm , and happen to notice its staying in defrost a little too long , so you wait , and wait , and stare at it , and think to yourself , hmm , I dont think its actually in defrost mode , I think the fan might be frozen up, in fact when I feel the big line its nice and warm , and the smaller line , well it aint so hot , so this tells me its probably not in a defrost mode at all , and now that its after 5 on a friday , I have a little situation.

10 year old trane has let me down. Run forever my ass !

Get out the long screwdriver , stick thru top , try to move blade , yes it moves , but with effort !

Peek at label , it takes a 1/8 , 825 , pfffffft yea right , I dont have that.

So I zip out a bunch of screws , flip over the top , remove motor , remove end caps of motor , windings and stator are hot as the devil , but not burnt , get out the trusty oil can , soak the foam around bushings , re-assemble.

Fires up nice and smooth.

Place your bets on how long this fix lasts .....

Post Likes
    Just shy of one week.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Toss an Emerson/US Motors #1873 motor in it and be done with it.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Those things like to quit when you need them most.

I got home from work one hot summer Friday afternoon, with solid plans to go out of town for the weekend. House was hotter than heck and with a friend living there who had no plans for her weekend.

I went outside and found the condenser motor locked up on my package unit. To make short work on my plight and minimize delay for my weekend excursion, I disconnected the motor altogether. Then...rigged a "specially mounted" & very well focused water sprinkler onto the condenser coils to keep the system going through the next few days.

Not the best solution, but we gotta do what you must sometimes. I picked up a new motor on Monday.

My guess? Overnight...

Our supply houses around here are open until noon on Saturdays.
    Last edited by ECtofix; 01-31-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    after you get home at 5pm , and happen to notice its staying in defrost a little too long , so you wait , and wait , and stare at it , and think to yourself , hmm , I dont think its actually in defrost mode , I think the fan might be frozen up, in fact when I feel the big line its nice and warm , and the smaller line , well it aint so hot , so this tells me its probably not in a defrost mode at all , and now that its after 5 on a friday , I have a little situation.

Get out the long screwdriver , stick thru top , try to move blade , yes it moves , but with effort !

So I zip out a bunch of screws , flip over the top , remove motor , remove end caps of motor , windings and stator are hot as the devil , but not burnt , get out the trusty oil can , soak the foam around bushings , re-assemble.

18 hours....

Post Likes

first hot day in July.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post

I went outside and found the condenser motor locked up on my package unit. To make short work on my plight and minimize delay for my weekend excursion, I disconnected the motor altogether. Then...rigged a "specially mounted" & very well focused water sprinkler onto the condenser coils to keep the system going through the next few days
    Dang , I would not have thought of that .... im writing that down !

So did you get a call from the neighbor " hey your AC unit is making a noise like " chik chik chik chik chik chik chik .... chik .... chik ....chik ... chik chik chik chik chik chik chik chik ....chik ....chik ....chik .....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    first hot day in July.....
    thats my guess too

but my conscience wont let me go that long

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Dang , I would not have thought of that .... im writing that down !

So did you get a call from the neighbor " hey your AC unit is making a noise like " chik chik chik chik chik chik chik .... chik .... chik ....chik ... chik chik chik chik chik chik chik chik ....chik ....chik ....chik .....
    LOL! No...didn't use one of the "chik...chik" types!

Post Likes
    Two weeks, don't you just hate fixing something when not only do you have to fix it but also pay for it.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    Buy the motor have it on hand and and see how long it runs for. I think it might surprise you.

Post Likes
    i give it 2 months
    I know everything about HVAC/R until i go to the next call.

Post Likes
    It might last quite a while actually , because there was one tiny little detail I kinda left out. I took the end cap off another motor from the scrap pile , stole the felt wick out of it , stuffed that in there in addition to the one it had , and soaked it with 10w30 before putting end cap on

Post Likes
    Number one rule of ac and heating equipment. It will fail when you need it the most.

Post Likes

Mine's lasted 8 years so far!
    JUST A LITTLE CLOSER AND THE LITTER BOX IS ALL MINE!

Post Likes
    I've had them last for years or go out in less than 24hrs. So to quote Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry"Do ya feel lucky"

Post Likes
    It might last quite a while actually , because there was one tiny little detail I kinda left out. I took the end cap off another motor from the scrap pile , stole the felt wick out of it , stuffed that in there in addition to the one it had , and soaked it with 10w30 before putting end cap on
    I'll give it 4 months, would have gave it years if you would have used straight weight oil. I was taught to use only straight weight 20 or 30 sae, I think the 10w30 cause a wax buildup or something, it been too long ago to recall what it caused for sure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    Those things like to quit when you need them most.

I got home from work one hot summer Friday afternoon, with solid plans to go out of town for the weekend. House was hotter than heck and with a friend living there who had no plans for her weekend.

I went outside and found the condenser motor locked up on my package unit. To make short work on my plight and minimize delay for my weekend excursion, I disconnected the motor altogether. Then...rigged a "specially mounted" & very well focused water sprinkler onto the condenser coils to keep the system going through the next few days.

Not the best solution, but we gotta do what you must sometimes. I picked up a new motor on Monday.

My guess? Overnight...

Our supply houses around here are open until noon on Saturdays.

i have done that many times on a/c and outdoor refrigeration units.
    i carry a small round sprinkler head in my truck for that purpose.

Post Likes
    They sell misters that clip on the panels. Cant see how that is a good idea, unless the fan is out. Go get 5 box fans and some tape. Hehe. I will post a vid of a walk around mine. Polished turds they are.

Post Likes
    They sure do my furnace quit the other night 4 am. The draft motor wheel was sticking the motor would stop and it just kept burning pulled the pressure switch and rollout out and it kept burning. Also the limit quit wouldnt turn on the fan or go out on high limit kinda scared me was neg 15 good thing we have a woodstove

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in