Which Humidifier can I fit on my unit?

What unit is small enough to fit on any of these ducts or is there something that can be mounted on the wall and piped to the return or supply duct? My house is about 3200 sq ft including the finished basement.

I purchased a Honeywell HE360 at Lowes last night because the humidity on my house has been sitting around 12-15%. The floorboards are creaking and the furniture is starting to suffer.

The problem is that where the supply runs out of the unit it curves after a very short distance. It is also very close to the copper pipes that run from the AC coils. I think it measured less than 8 inches between the supply duct and the copper lines. On the other side of the unit is the staircase and the gap between it and the Supply duct is again about 8 inches.

Name:  2014-01-30 17.21.34.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  110.1 KB

My return duct is just out of site of the picture, but the part facing where I am standing for the picture is 10" wide. The wider portion is facing a concrete wall and the clearance between the wall and the duct is about 16 inches.

EDIT: Also I would like to be able to connect the humidifier to my NEST.

try a carrier humxxstm model, steam, mounted next to unit, run on 120 or 240, canister type made by dri steam
    Total Energy Management, inc

Quote Originally Posted by isuredo View Post
    try a carrier humxxstm model, steam, mounted next to unit, run on 120 or 240, canister type made by dri steam
    Since I'm not an HVAC professional, would I be able to buy this or install it?

Quote Originally Posted by tunaktu86 View Post
    Since I'm not an HVAC professional, would I be able to buy this or install it?
    Probably not.

do a google search on an aprilaire 800 steam humidifier, you can purchase online, can you install it?, depends on your level of comfort and reading ability, requires a 15 amp dedicated circuit, puts out up to 32 gallons per day
    Total Energy Management, inc

Checked that one. Seems quite steep at nearly 800 dollars.

Are any of the bypass humidifiers small enough that they could be placed where I have the template shown in the picture? I've checked every dimension on my duct work near the furnace and only the return side can accommodate the powered he360. With an inch to spare. That seems to be enough room to be able to open the housing.

Is it ok to mount it on the return. I know it's not ideal but is that acceptable?

Won't work very well, it relys on the hot supply air to soak in the moisture, return air ~68-70*F can't hold as much water vapor as 130*F supply air can because the air molecules are larger at higher temps, smaller at lower temps. A skuttle steam humidifier would probably fit on the bottom of the horizontal run after the ell, it'll need to be professionally installed and they are extra expensive and add $30-$40 bucks a month to your power bill. Your best bang for your buck would be to get your home's leakage (including the duct leakage) rate down and boil a pot of water on the stove when it gets uncomfortable. A tight house doesn't need humidification, a tight house may need dehumidification in the winter to battle the h2O produced by showers, cooking, washing clothes/dishes, occupants etc. www.comfortinstitute.org I know this isn't why you came here or what you're looking for but tightening the duct and envelope is always my reccomendation over a humidifier.

Field controls S2020 steam humidifier, they are small and work fabulous. I recommend the s2020 which is 220V not the 120V unit. So you would need a electrician to wire at 220V duplex in the vasinity of the Humidifier. They are a little pricey but work well, just a FYI if you do choose it, Maintenace is required annually and is very important. If you decide to not go with a steam unit I would recommend a April Air 560, which is a flow thru bypass humidifier. Good luck on your choice and hope this helps you. (I do not recommend fan powered) bypass work the best mounted on the return and bypass piped in to the supply.. Keep us posted on what you decide to go with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a big fan of these steam humidifiers with the canisters. They are a pain in the butt and the canisters are not cheap and need to be replace annually. With the Field Controls S2020 Steam Humidifier you just need to clean if annually and replace the Z100 anode (they cost around 9 bucks and easy to replace) again Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted on your choice!

What ever one you choose have it wired where a call for humidity brings on the fan, not so it only comes and humidifies with a call for heat..