Thread: HVAC/Chef post

HVAC/Chef post

So there I was cleaning up after a meal and my FAVORITE chef's knife slipped out my hand and hit the sink just right. Here is the result.

The tip is not bent it broke right off. The stange thing is that I discoved that the knife is magnetic. I tried my stand-by chef's knife. It too is magnetic. For my BD the War Department bought me a brand new Wusthof knife from Germany. The broken one is a Henkel also from Germany. The standby one is a cheapy American made one. The new knife is NOT magnetic.

I have a steel that I sharpen my knifes on and that too is magnetic.

Being the technicans that we are I have to ask. Are your knives magnetic?
    Are sharpen steels always magnetic and if so why? Did the fact that the knife became magnetic lead to the freak breakage? Is there any way of repairing the broken knife or should I just 76 it?

There is your homework assignment. I expect a full report in the morning.

Get over it. Sh!t happens.

Oh

Grinding and sharpening it makes it possible to induce modifications in the magnetic structure of the knife and it becomes "magnetic". This will align the domains of surface. Happens with tools also and most metal and steel under the right conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by James 3528 View Post
    Oh

Grinding and sharpening it makes it possible to induce modifications in the magnetic structure of the knife and it becomes "magnetic". This will align the domains of surface. Happens with tools also and most metal and steel under the right conditions.

Well you only get a D- on your homework assignment. But your new avatar reminds me that I am going to Ireland next year.

Do any of the mall's near you have a knife store? I know up here where I am in Canada the stores get a Canadian Henkle rep in once or twice a year to grind knives for free back to factory specs.

I was thinking that they may be able to do something to the bent tip. The worse they can say is sorry its beyond repair.

Or when you start your retirement road trip stop in at a major resturant supplier that is a Henkle distributer and ask them if the tip can be reground at the break. You can find the list here: http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww...r=FH&land_id=8

Or if you want to eamil Henkle directly to see if they think your knife is repairable.
    http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww.../bereich_id/25

For sure they would be able to tell you if using a steel to sharpen a knife makes it magnetic and if that is good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
    Do any of the mall's near you have a knife store? I know up here where I am in Canada the stores get a Canadian Henkle rep in once or twice a year to grind knives for free back to factory specs.

I was thinking that they may be able to do something to the bent tip. The worse they can say is sorry its beyond repair.

Or when you start your retirement road trip stop in at a major resturant supplier that is a Henkle distributer and ask them if the tip can be reground at the break. You can find the list here: http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww...r=FH&land_id=8

Or if you want to eamil Henkle directly to see if they think your knife is repairable.
    http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww.../bereich_id/25

For sure they would be able to tell you if using a steel to sharpen a knife makes it magnetic and if that is good or bad.
    Thanks that is a great lead. I tried a web search and couldn't come up with anything. I really would like to keep the knife because my son brought it back from Germany when he was a kid in High School and on a student exchange program.

76 it ?????????

The number is 86.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2hot2coolme View Post
    The number is 86.....

oooops never mind. 76 was the war I was in.

when passing the blade across the steel molecular compounds do exist.They are not an issue unless the war dept. says so
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Machine Shop!

Just grid down the tip and you will loose maybe 1"; if you want to keep it and they won't send you another one; take it to machine shop and they will grind it back and you won't even be able to tell, just a little shorter.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>