Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane XL14i Two Speed Fan

I recently bought a Trane XL14i air conditioner. I have a Trane single stage furance as well. The XL14i says it has a two speed fan on it. How does this work, and how does the air conditioner kow when to use the high or low speeds?

The XL14i series only comes with a single speed fan for the outdoor condenser. It is not a two speed fan.

Typical condensers with two speed fans can acknowledge pressure drops and/or increases in refrigerant to adjust fan speed.

Guess the Trane site is wrong...

http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...mps/xl14i.aspx

TRANE XL14i specifics Every Trane heat pump is packed with high-quality components. Each helps ensure that time after time, your unit will provide total comfort your family can rely on. The XL14i includes:
    • Models with R410A and R22 Refrigerants
    • Climatuff® Compressor
    • Full-Side Louvered Panels
    • WeatherGuard II™ Top
    • Baked-On Powder Paint
    • Corrosion-Resistant WeatherGuard™ Fasteners
    • Spine Fin™ Outdoor Coil
    • Unique DuraTuff™ Basepan
    • Unique Mounting of Shaft Down Fan Motor
    • Two-Speed Fan
    • Low-Resistance Airflow
    • Sound Insulator on Compressor
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Trane use a temp control to go from Hi or low fan speed.. I don't recall off hand what the temp range is.. I think 85 and higher goes into high speed.

you really can't tell from the sound of it switching speed.

They dropped the 2 speed motors when they switched to swept wing fan blades.

The web site is horribly out of date about a number of things.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

The brochure also said it had a two speed fan...I kind of wondered whether or not it did, because I knew it only had a single speed compressor.

I wonder why they keep that stuff there. Really confuses their target audience. Makes the in-home selling process even more difficult.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post

When did they switch the blades, and what is the upside to the swept wing blades? I really don't care what speed it has. I had a 16 year old XB1000 and it was a lot louder than the XL14i. I am happy with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post

Thats what I thought. Years ago they use to have it in the XL1200 now you may only find it in 16 seies and up...

Quote Originally Posted by msm20032003 View Post
    When did they switch the blades, and what is the upside to the swept wing blades? I really don't care what speed it has. I had a 16 year old XB1000 and it was a lot louder than the XL14i. I am happy with it so far.

The XL14i is a great unit. We sell alot of those units, they perform very well. The site for Trane sometimes can be dated and is not that freindly to surf. Sounds like you have a great unit. Good luck.

MJD

Quote Originally Posted by msm20032003 View Post
    Check the model #
    2TWX40**A standard blade 2TWX40**B swept wing blade

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    Trane use a temp control to go from Hi or low fan speed.

correct, i think it stays in high speed till temp drops below 75*

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    I wonder why they keep that stuff there. Really confuses their target audience. Makes the in-home selling process even more difficult.
    You're missing the big picture. Trane got in bed with the big box company. The big box company ALWAYS demands that products be manufactured at a lower price and that the manufacturer ALWAYS pick up the full warranty for any products returned to them. Thus the big box appears to have a great warranty but it all goes back to the manufacturer. So if you're the manufacturer how do you reduce costs? Up to 30% I've been told by other manufacture's reps who've had to deal with the big boxes. Reduce manufacturing costs by cheapening the product wherever you can, reduce manpower across the board. No people to update the website or fire/cut back on the consultant who does it. There's never something for nothing so it comes down to where you can cut corners. You need to step back to get a view of the big picture instead of focusing on the little things. JMO.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast