Thread: Optibelt for Exhaust fans

Post Likes

Optibelt for Exhaust fans

I got a flier from Optibelt Corporation, looks like they cover exhaust fan belts. They claim longer life from their belts in exhaust fan applications. Anyboby had experience with these belts? If their claiams are true, what a time saver for me.

Post Likes

Talking Molded belts

If your belt size is 47" or above these are the best belts out there. More horsepower and smooth face Not the sawtoothed pulley eaters like X series belts. for large horsepower multi-belt applications they're a once a year change perfect for service contracts. I call them Feburary belts because you change them after evrything slows up a bit.

Post Likes
    The 47" and above belts I have no problems with. Its the stinking A18, A19, A20, 3L220, etc. Work is too cheap to put idlers on them, availible from the O.M. Which would give me a longer, more wear surface, belt. Less radius around the pulley and self tensioning.

Post Likes
    I knew a guy that knew a guy...really, that worked for Opti-Belt. He gave us a free set of 5V1400 belts. We used them on an Air Handler. Those muthas lasted 3 friggen years of 24/7 operation. Not a single crack. They did thin out a little. We finally changed them out. I hate em. Can't make any money selling these puppies if they don't wear out.
    Figman

Post Likes
    I've found that those red belts that are segmented and can be atached to provide a fit for any belt work great in those applications,they last a long time and you just buy several feet of the stuff than match it up on the job.

Post Likes

Thumbs up 47" is the magic number

47" is the cut off for molded belts if it is less than 47" it is a spliced belt made from a straight corded belt with a splice that wants to find a way to straighten out again (like everyone elses belts) so the point is not much differance on the small stuff.
    ps. beware of homemade belts good for a 2 AM call but not much else!

Post Likes

Goodyear

I have been using Goodyear PD belts for several years and they have paid for themselves many times over. I had a 45hp fan with 4 v-belts and was changing them almost monthly. This fan was short on air and I changed to the PD belts. The belts don't slip which added effeciency and they run for a couple of years before needing replacement. I would have more of them if they made them longer. The only problem is that they prefer a soft start. I have started them without a VFD and it can be done. I would not use them in an application where the fan stops and starts frequently.

Post Likes

Optibelt

Hey ya'll,

A bit more information on the Optibelt HVAC product from an Optibelt engineer.

The belts have a special cord and fabric wrap that makes the belts very flexible so they can bend around small pulleys. The cord helps the belts to hold their tension better and also they have a higher temp rating so if they do slip they will last longer.

We put them on at a fast food chain restaurant's exhaust vents and they have been going strong for 8+ months compared to 1 month for the standard belt life.

Post Likes

Optibelt distributor

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 09-06-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    I've been using them almost as long as the original post. Absolutely love them in all sizes. They last so much longer than any other brand of belt, there is no comparison. They rarely crack, which BTW will destroy the bearings if not caught soon enough. One of the other guys here hates them. He "pops" the belts over the pulleys, and has ruined motors and fan bearings.

Post Likes
    bbacon

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in