Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

I'll have to look - I think my TT-500 is a 1978

I have a TT-225 too. That is a 1986.

I mostly have medium sized Kawasaki's although these two Yamahas, oh no; three: I have a QT-50, have treated me well too.

I have been riding the Triumph the most (2001 w/ 33,000 miles <g>) these last few years. I am sure the battery is bad on the KZ-1000 from me ignoring it. <g> I have been so damned busy with working work since early spring that I haven't ridden anything for months. The last time we had the dirt bikes out there were patches of snow left and a lot of mud. And some Really cold water in the puddles! <g>

Better days are coming they say. But I can never seem to get any definitive answer as to when. <g>

Where do you ride?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    There is a guy named Olly and he owns the fastest Hayabusa in Scotland (or at least it was a couple of years ago). This is no idle boast because he can show you his light-gate printouts and a large pile of trophies. He can also show you the dyno printout showing slightly over 400 rear wheel horsepower.

His bike has the biggest supercharger you ever did see fitted to a motorcycle. Olly himself has a PhD in fuel injection and has a job designing electronics for Triumph motorcycles. The bike has an enormous rear tire, runs on some exotic fuel he gets shipped from the US in drums, and has been stretched by a good 12".

Pertinent to your argument, none of the REALLY fast fast 'busas on the drag scene have been overbored, they all use forced induction and massively high compression ratios. The bike is still a 1300cc.

Terminals a standing 1/4 mile in the high 170mph range. Also interestingly, he has tried for some top speed runs and has been unable to crack 200mph on it (come damned close though). On paper it has enough power and sufficiently good aerodynamics to touch 250mph but there simply isn't a piece of tarmac long enough to get up there then stop again.

But you all are routinely doing it, and on other bikes as well. And look; it's not that I don't still love you and all . . . . . but Come On Now! <g>
    He should bring er over to the salt flats

I don't think I would try that unless I was gonna die from cancer or something, go out quick, literally.
    You can't fix stupid

There was a magazine article too, but I can't find it now

It was concerning a group from the motorcycle magazine's tech and test people (I think - it may have been an independent they were reporting on) who set out to break 200 mph. He chose a Busa as the best bike for the job. But despite extensive tuning and fiddling he didn't make it. He got within a mile or two, or maybe just got 200 or 201 on a one-way run but couldn't do it again on the return run.

At 150 on a bike things are happening faster than fast. I cannot imagine 200. Just the difference between 120 and 150 is a really Huge leap. But hey; what do I know? Maybe people are routinely making 225 on public highways while riding stock and nearly stock bikes these days - I don't know. But, in order to be convinced, I would have to be holding the fresh calibrated radar gun in my own hand I think. <g>
    PHM
    --------

The amount of horsepower required to overcome aerodynamic drag rises as the cube of speed. Consider this: 160 hp is enough to push a stock Hayabusa to nearly 190 mph, but it would take closer to 225 hp to get that same bike to 200 mph--65 more hp for just 10 more mph on top. Going 200 mph on a production-based motorcycle is a huge accomplishment--indeed, there are only 42 riders in the East Coast Timing Association's (ECTA) elite "200-mph" club. Two-hundred and twenty-seven mph is simply amazing--only slightly less difficult than riding your Ninja to the moon. And at 227 mph, Yancy's super-'Busa is just warming up.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/featu...lus/index.html

Pretty elite club there....
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by sline-dawg View Post
    The amount of horsepower required to overcome aerodynamic drag rises as the cube of speed. Consider this: 160 hp is enough to push a stock Hayabusa to nearly 190 mph, but it would take closer to 225 hp to get that same bike to 200 mph--65 more hp for just 10 more mph on top. Going 200 mph on a production-based motorcycle is a huge accomplishment--indeed, there are only 42 riders in the East Coast Timing Association's (ECTA) elite "200-mph" club. Two-hundred and twenty-seven mph is simply amazing--only slightly less difficult than riding your Ninja to the moon. And at 227 mph, Yancy's super-'Busa is just warming up.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/featu...lus/index.html

Pretty elite club there....

i can't imagine even hangin' onto the bike at those speeds

you who have been 130+, know exactly what i'm talkin' here ....

Quote Originally Posted by sline-dawg View Post
    Consider this: 160 hp is enough to push a stock Hayabusa to nearly 190 mph, but it would take closer to 225 hp to get that same bike to 200 mph
    another post that is full of bullsh!t

busa has around 165 hp stock, there is a list of a few things to do to make a stock hyabusa motor hit 198 mph

heres what i had to do to mine,

1 ivans tre chip, which elimintes the speed limiter that was mandated by the government

4 short stacks in the air box, stock comes with 2 short and 2 long intake stacks in the airbox adds h.p.

sealing airbox from intake where air enters in the front of the bike adds h.p.

the airbox also has a flapper valve which needs to be removed cutout and then sealed and vacuum line plugged adds h.p.

extended scoops, that suck more air in the front of the bike adds h.p.

tfi (techlusion fuel injector) adjuster adds h.p.

lowering kit, brings rearend of the bike 4 inches closer to the ground

special triple clamps which enables front end to be lowered

akrapovic 4 into 1 header the most expensive and most power adding pipe available adds h.p.

pilot sport back tire 200 series zr rated for safety

zero gravity double bubble wind shield, allows rider to get down below the airflow

stock busa has a sort of catalytic converter on it its called pair valve, which when replumbed and hooked

up to the pcv positive crankcase ventilation pulls air out of the motor, when the piston is on the

downstroke it does not have to push air out of the way adds h.p.

optional cafe seat which cuts through the airflow better than the stock seat

i spent many hours and much money on these additions and still utilize the stock motor with stock gearing

the stock motor with no modifications wont red line in top gear you will only go about 191 mph with the tre chip alone

all that extra work for a mear 7 more mph, i tried to hit 200 mph with this setup, aint gonna happen

i figured with all the modifications i did i was running about 185 h.p.

take it for what its worth, may god strike me dead right now if i did not go 198 mph with this setup

oh course it reminds me of a funny story -

Although I have never owned a Harley, and only one Indian, over the years I have found Harley Guys the most fun to ride and hang out with. Well, mostly to hang out with as they stop a lot and know all the best bars. For serious riding to ride - I have to go by myself.

But anyway I was being 'prospected' one time to join this particular motorcyclist organization. There was this organized event ride they were all going to so I went too. It involved meeting at a place, riding to another place, riding back to the first place, and then eating bad food, listening to loud music, watching over made up girls with large fake breasts wandering around ignoring everyone with looks on their faces like 'what are you looking at me for? I got these breast implants to go un-noticed', and tell stories until we all had to go home for dinner or something.

Well, I had gotten lost getting there (no GPS in those days) and didn't want to repeat that so I thought I would stick with people whose houses I knew how to get home from. The one I picked was a guy who had a Big Twin that he had had 'worked' with high compression this, and big valves that, cams, carb; all kinds of stuff - many thousands of dollars worth of go-fast stuff.

They were setting out in little groups of maybe six or seven bikes at a time. I made it a point to get into his. So even if he left I could always follow him to his house, and get home from there. Out on the open highway we all cranked it up to about 65 and settled in. He then started to to speed up.

Now picture that I am riding a ratty KZ-1000 with little sun-faded nylon saddle bags, ragged backrest luggage for me to lean back on, and a windshield I got from who knows where. I almost never wash it and they all used to laugh about it all the time. There is a 2" c-clamp holding one side of the cam cover on because I had snapped the little bolt and oil kept spraying out on my leathers.

Anyway; nobody else follows him. But I figure I have to stay with him so I get into the throttle a little too. No disrespect - I just stay on his left quarter about two/three lengths back. He grabs some more gas so so do I. Not racing - just staying with him. After a bit he Really takes off. So do I. I have no idea how fast we are going, but the windshield is vibrating, the wind coming over the top is buffeting my helmet back and forth like a bad vibration, and things are getting pretty blurry. The speedo only goes to 85 and I don't know what the top end is on a KZ-1000, but I still had at least Some throttle left when he leveled off. He was pretty laid forward over the tank and just flying along. Curious; I eased into the throttle and pulled even to give him the universal, palms up, shoulder shrug for: WTF Over?

He catches sight of me, apparently pulling past, and his head snaps around like he had seen a ghost. He looks forward at the road and then back at me - just to make sure I was really there I guess. The expression on his face was priceless.

He gets out of the throttle, my speedo comes off the peg, and we run at about 75 or 80 for a short while before arriving at the destination place. He wheels in and parks in a row of other HD's. I park in the shade.

I start looking for a soda machine or a water fountain and the rest of the guys from this club come roaring in. They are all laughing and yelling at him. Finally I make out that they are breaking his balls because he had talked about how fast all the mods were going to make his bike and my old RatBike had apparently effortlessly stayed with him until he ran out of throttle and then pulled even.

It really wasn't like that, I wasn't a bit interested in proving anything; I just wanted to make sure I could get home that night, but it was the way they saw it: like I had sucker punched him. He didn't want to talk at first but eventually we all laughed about it.
    PHM
    --------

Here's a turbo busa with 499hp. Ghost Rider can't keep the front wheel on the ground.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1094329

Think we got the GHOST rider here !

Guys loosen up ! how bout some curvy roads, scenery and the sound off a thumper, that's all i need !
    .................................................. ......................
    ---------Holland aint flat !!! it is hollow !----------- first thing my mommy told me was : learn to swim

Quote Originally Posted by icchvac View Post
    Check out the deer clearing the bike...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=16306772
    Holy crap!

That is one of the things I worry about riding, deer are stupid.

I moved from South Africa to Maryland last summer, finally was able to get another bike after selling my Vulcan a few years ago.

I have put 6,000 miles on it since last August, ride it nearly everyday. I love this bike.

2000 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado

Deer near my home (I live in the sticks) and dumbass commuters in cars closer to work on the Wash D.C. beltway are what worry me.

I manage it like this -

Every minute I am riding I bear in mind that every other person on the road hates me, I owe them big money, and I have just insulated their mother. It hasn't worked 100% but I am still riding 36 years later.
    PHM
    --------

Insulated their mother? I bet shes pissed. Being all itchy and scratched from that insulation. How did you manage to get her to hold still?

Damn spell check! <g>

Of course I meant: "insulted". <g>
    PHM
    --------

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast