Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Install of Trane XV95 and XL16I. What to look for?

Just had my install done.

I'm trying to understand what I should be expecting and want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my new Trane XV95 furnace?

My furnace is controlling everything when it comes to staging and the variable speed fan. Is this the way it should be done?

I have my fan set to always "on" so it provides a more consistent temperature throughout the house and works to provide better air quality with the new 5" media filter that was installed.

With a Trane XV95, is it best or even the only options to have the furnace control everything or should control be done with a thermostat?

I'm currently using a Nest (and I know many of you in the business don't care for it) but it is what I had and it has worked great on my previous system. I'd be willing to look at a Honeywell or other thermostat if there was a great benefit.

House is well insulated with triple pane windows. Figuring that the system was sized right, how often should the heat turn on and how long should it run? I'm guessing 2nd stage should not really turn on unless I am using scheduling, turning the heat way down then back up at certain times.

Appreciate all your help!

A 2 stage thermostat should be controlling staging. It will provide better comfort then the 10 minute timer the furnace board uses.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What size is the system? How big is your home? Was there a load cal ran. While I understand your question to be what to expect this questions will help us judge what you might expect from the system as far as comfort and efficenty go!

As Beenthere pointed out you want a (2) stage t-stat to control the all the functions of the entire system other then the board on furnace. Depending on the t-stat and how it's wired along with the sizing you can expect it to work as designed with staging for both the (2) stage furnace and variable speed furnace. Is your XL16i single or (2) stage a/c or heat pump?

The XL16i at one time was a (2) stage unit then Trane did some things to the model and kept it single stage and moved the (2) stage line to the XL18i but there where and still might be some older/new XL16's out there with (2) stage compressor.

Over all the XV95 furnace and XL16 system is a good one if sized and installed properly with registered 10 year parts and coil warranty, 12 year compressor warranty. Did you purchase a extended warranty with your new system? Post back and lets see what all you have and we should be able to give you a better idea of the system long term results.

As for the nest t-stat glad you have not had any issiues with yours as most do. That's why most techs don't like it. Problems we can't control which is in the wiring and senseing of the t-stat often = customers disliking them and causing us a headache to try to work in one. A good Honeywell IAQ stat, a Trane 950 comfort link II or Trane comfort link I starter kit are all good t-stats that work very well with your setup.

What size is the system? How big is your home? Was there a load cal ran. While I understand your question to be what to expect this questions will help us judge what you might expect from the system as far as comfort and efficenty go!
    I want to go off the presumption that everything was sized right, therefore, what should I be seeing in terms of "operation" and "runtimes" and "duration". This will help me understand how a correct system should function.

As Beenthere pointed out you want a (2) stage t-stat to control the all the functions of the entire system other then the board on furnace. Depending on the t-stat and how it's wired along with the sizing you can expect it to work as designed with staging for both the (2) stage furnace and variable speed furnace. Is your XL16i single or (2) stage a/c or heat pump?
    It's frustrating because all the different Trane companies I had out all say the furnace controls everything. Must be the easy way out? I really appreciate all of you who take pride in what you do!

XL16i at one time was a (2) stage unit then Trane did some things to the model and kept it single stage and moved the (2) stage line to the XL18i but there where and still might be some older/new XL16's out there with (2) stage compressor.
    The XL16i is not a heat pump and is a single stage unit. In doing some of my research, Trane explained to me that they changed their model numbers back in June and the XL15i has been rebranded as the XL16i as you have stated, moving 2 stage to the XL18i.

all the XV95 furnace and XL16 system is a good one if sized and installed properly with registered 10 year parts and coil warranty, 12 year compressor warranty. Did you purchase a extended warranty with your new system? Post back and lets see what all you have and we should be able to give you a better idea of the system long term results.

As for the nest t-stat glad you have not had any issiues with yours as most do. That's why most techs don't like it. Problems we can't control which is in the wiring and senseing of the t-stat often = customers disliking them and causing us a headache to try to work in one. A good Honeywell IAQ stat, a Trane 950 comfort link II or Trane comfort link I starter kit are all good t-stats that work very well with your setup.
    I did registered my warranty online so I will get the longer warranty thats advertised.

The install team was great. The only issue I have at this time is the guy who installed the condensing unit installed it sideways so the connections would be closer. This was not necessary and now all the warning stickers face out instead of facing the house. The XL16i is a good looking unit and right or wrong, was part of my purchasing decision to upgrade from the XR series.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A 2 stage thermostat should be controlling staging. It will provide better comfort then the 10 minute timer the furnace board uses.
    Can you please give me a brief explanation as to why the thermostat will provide better comfort by controlling staging.

Quote Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
    Can you please give me a brief explanation as to why the thermostat will provide better comfort by controlling staging.
    When using a Tstat to control the stages rather than the timer it will stay in first stage if recovering and will turn off when satisfied, and if not recovering it will automatically step up to the next stage.

When using the timer, it will automatically step up when the timer has expired and satisfy quickly on second stage. Depending on the location of the Tstat this could leave portions of the structure with cold spots.

*** Update***

Called sales person who referred me to service. I explained to the service manager that I did not think my system was running like it should because it shuts off pretty often and only the fan is circulating air out of the vents. I believe I'm getting the same on/off temp swings as my old 80% furnace was providing me.

He concurred with what has been stated here by many that it was better to have the thermostat control the staging and I needed a W2 wire hooked up which I know I don't have at this time. They will hook the nest up with a W2 wire and allow it to control the staging and if that does not fix things or I'm not happy with that, I will buy the Honeywell Prestige IAQ thermostat.

Install crew spent all day Saturday installing and did a really nice job with the sheet metal and venting but when it was done they left.

Nobody really evaluated the system to see if it was running ideal. Although it would take thirty minutes to an hour to gauge if the system is cycling/running ideally, I think that someone from the company should do that. These guys wanted to go home and although I can appreciate that, I feel like the customers are left to determine if they think they have an issue or not.

Trane's furnace board's upstage timer is 10 minutes. So it goes to second stage whether its needed or not if it has to run for longer then 10 minutes. So you will have times where it goes to second stage and shuts off 1 minute later.

With a good 2 stage thermostat it will only go to second stage when its needed, or coming out of recovery if you use set backs. Long run times in first stage provides a more even heating for the rooms of the house. Increasing your personal comfort.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Again, thank you all for your responses to this thread and my others! I appreciate those who embrace and value what they do and are not happy unless they know that the job is perfect!

Here is a picture of my wiring on the board. They have the blue wire connected along with the red wire. The blue wire is not connected at my thermostat. They also have a jumper between W1 and W2.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/38/evl2.jpg

Look forward to the tech coming out to evaluate my system.

Duckman06, Looks like 80K on 1700sqft, 2.5ton AC:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ciate-feedback

FWIW I have a 44k furnace (can't buy anything smaller) that still cycles even at 5 degree outdoor temps (the coldest it's got since new furnace was installed, design temp is 18f). 2 ton AC for 1587sqft ft keeps it 75f indoors on a 100f degree day.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Duckman06, Looks like 80K on 1700sqft, 2.5ton AC:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ciate-feedback

FWIW I have a 44k furnace (can't buy anything smaller) that still cycles even at 5 degree outdoor temps (the coldest it's got since new furnace was installed, design temp is 18f). 2 ton AC for 1587sqft ft keeps it 75f indoors on a 100f degree day.
    Yes it does! I would have loved to run the numbers and welling to beat a 60,000 btu furnace with variable speed (2) stage would have done the job.

Who really knows what it should be doing or not doing sense no load data to confirm proper sizing was done.

This is what I see all the time. It's (2) stage so will run in 1st stage and save you money? Not really it will cost you more plus not provide the comfort he could have had?

Maybe they sized at least the a/c right? OP I would request load cal or how they arrived at the size of the equipment for your home?

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Yes it does! I would have loved to run the numbers and welling to beat a 60,000 btu furnace with variable speed (2) stage would have done the job.

Who really knows what it should be doing or not doing sense no load data to confirm proper sizing was done.

This is what I see all the time. It's (2) stage so will run in 1st stage and save you money? Not really it will cost you more plus not provide the comfort he could have had?

Maybe they sized at least the a/c right? OP I would request load cal or how they arrived at the size of the equipment for your home?
    I know they sized the unit off my existing equipment. This company did not do a load calc.

I had one company come out and I don't think they did a real or full manual J because from what I read on here I think that takes a considerable amount of time but he did run some basic numbers/measurements and took into account my new triple pane windows. He plugged all that into his web based system and his proposal lists a 60,000 btu furnace.

Can you explain what you mean by the above statement?

Say the system needs to be 60,000 btu and they swap it out, are you saying the system would run for a long time, almost continuously in first stage to provide even temps and comfort?

I'm trying to understand if when sized correctly, is the idea behind a 2 stage system to have first stage continuously running to provide a steady, constant stream of heat?

Quote Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
    I know they sized the unit off my existing equipment. This company did not do a load calc.

I had one company come out and I don't think they did a real or full manual J because from what I read on here I think that takes a considerable amount of time but he did run some basic numbers/measurements and took into account my new triple pane windows. He plugged all that into his web based system and his proposal lists a 60,000 btu furnace.

Can you explain what you mean by the above statement?

Say the system needs to be 60,000 btu and they swap it out, are you saying the system would run for a long time, almost continuously in first stage to provide even temps and comfort?

I'm trying to understand if when sized correctly, is the idea behind a 2 stage system to have first stage continuously running to provide a steady, constant stream of heat?
    If the home requires says 40,000 btu's (example) then a two stage 80% 60,000 would provide 1st stage 32,000 then bring on 2nd stage heat as needed to deliver the 48,000 btu's. in this example the system is truly working as designed staging the heat as needed. A 95% (2) stage would deliver higher first stage heat and second compaired go a 80% furnace.

With the same example a 80,000 btu 80% furnace would deliver 64,000 btu on second stage and 42,000 btu's on first stage. So the unit would be concerned oversized in my opion. When you get into the specs on 95% FUNACE the numbers get tighter and inturn cause the furnace to work in first stage most of the time.

A lot of contractors don't take into avcount that older 80% furnaces rated a 70% or less are using less heat then 80%-95% so they oversize the heating system that is in most cases already oversized. This leads to post like yours.

Regardless of size of old system, home etc... A load cal should have been ran to determine the proper sizing for both heating and cooling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast