Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lennox vs Carrier vs York vs Rheem

Been going through this site and others. Lots of good info - sometimes too much and too much of it includes air conditioning. Seems the only thing everyone will agree on is that an average furnace properly installed will perform better than a superior furnace poorly installed. I'm still hoping for insight, comments, and opinions to help me make a choice on a new gas furnace.

We are replacing our old oil furnace with a new gas furnace. 2000sf house built in 1955 near Seattle, Washington. Not planning on moving for at least 10 years. Oil tank decommissioned and fall approaching.

I have 4 quotes from 4 contractors. Price differences are minimal, so cannot base decision on installation cost.

Company B: Lennox 95-percent, 2-stage, variable speed (Model G61MPV36B071), Honeywell Vision 8000 t-stat. When I mentioned the Consumers Digest Repair rate chart and several sites recommending Trane, salesperson said that doesn't jive with his in-the-field survey. In business since 1987. Received highest award 4 times from local gas utility contractor referral program for sales and service.

Company G: York Affinity 95-percent, modulating, variable speed (Model Affinity PC9B12N080UP11). This company installed a new Trane XV90i in our previous house. When I asked why not a Trane this time, salesman said they have switched from Trane to York. As a technician, he said Trane is fine, but York has better software running the system. He also admitted to a personal preference for York after working on multiple brands. 3rd generation family company in business since 1929 beginning with coal, then oil in 1940. Still doing a lot of oil.

Company M (through Costco): Carrier Infinity 96-percent, 2-stage, variable speed w/ Carrier Infinity Control t-stat. Salesman was former Trane technician. Said Trane was a fine product, and so is Carrier. Commercial since 1965, started residential division in 1994, which subsequently split off into separate company.

Company S: Rheem. Model not specified. Company has excellent reputation (also award winner from local gas utility), but least detailed quote. Let's assume he meant the Prestige 90 modulating furnace to keep the playing field relatively even. Forget which brand(s) he mentioned where they're replacing a lot of heat exchangers. In business since 1986.

Thoughts?

Being a York dealer, I'm alittle bias.

You like either of the mod furnaces.

The York doesn't use a special stat. So you don't have to spend extra on a stat if you don't want. Its modulation is controled by the furnace board and a discharge air temp sensor.

No matter which furnace you chose, out of the ones you listed. Get the 10 year P&L extended warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Being a York dealer, I'm a little bias.
    No problem. I appreciate the honesty. I do like the styling (wife rolled her eyes on that one. )

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You like either of the mod furnaces.
    Not sure what you mean. Are you saying you prefer the modulating furnaces (Rheem or York) or are you asking me? If the later, I don't know enough to have a preference.

LOL... typo

I meant YOU will like either of the mod's, if you choose to get either one..
    Contractor locator map

I like the Carrier and the TRANE,Infinity best thing going. Sounds like 2 out of the 3 did you right,pick the contractor NOT the BRAND. I can get the same equipment as Tiger Woods,but I sure cannot do what he does with it.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

How is the Infinity the best thing going as far as a 2 stage gas furnace.

For the Infinity 2 stage VS A/C yes, furnace?
    Contractor locator map

Coleman
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Coleman
    Tea, they have a mod too.

And a spokesman.
    Contractor locator map

If it's not full modulation, it's a yugo as far as i'm concerned, everybody makes a two stage, Rheem was the first to come out with the full mods, stick with them, little more field tested I think, but i really wasn't liking your Rheem sales guy, not real detailed in what he was giving you, and rumor has it you don't need to get the Rheem super steep $stat any more, but I don't know all the details to that yet.

And the only reason those other guys changed manufactures is either
    A. They are running from a un paid bill at there supplier

B. Their supplier wouldn't give them better pricing or a free trip to the Keys.

Smile

I am from your area and I think I understand the letter references on your post. I do not work for any of the companies you listed.

I have installed and worked on all these furnaces, and I have dealt Rheem and York and Trane and Carrier. Sometimes a dealer will install whatever brand the customer wants.

I like the York mod 95 right now. Very solid, and easy to work on and install, and has amazing rebates.

Rheem is not, last time I checked, able to modulate more then 22 stages, and the York will modulate 66 stages. The York will also do it with a conventional stat. If the dealer has a good name and you have used him before, the choice seems easy.

If you use contractor "G" ask for Pete, he is old school and does awesome work.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Who needs 66 stages? The Rheem Mod has 13 stages but more importantly, it is staged based on house needs as sensed by a thermostat, not what a board THINKS the house needs.

pETER

I am taking a contrarian view. All of the equipment quoted are fine-top of line. However, they are overkill and unnecessary. Nat gas is no longer a value fuel for winter heating and is subject to supply/demand issues, market speculation, and market manipulation. You live in an area/climate that is perfect for a high eff heat pump system. Moderate winters. And I believe you have reasonable electric rates. My first choice would be a straight high eff heat pump system with var spd air handler. Second choice would be the same except paired with 80% AFUE var spd gas furnace.

And definitely insist upon a written load calculation and have your ductwork thoroughly inspected as to size, supplies/returns,insulation properties, and overall condition.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Who needs 66 stages? The Rheem Mod has 13 stages but more importantly, it is staged based on house needs as sensed by a thermostat, not what a board THINKS the house needs.
    The York mod is only 65 steps.
    Nobody really needs an infinitely variable compressor either, but their out.
    Its just icening on the cake.

The Rheem will definitely respond faster to indoor temp changes then the York.

Do you need it to respond by .1*F changes, I don't know but it probaly is nice.
    I like the York board doing it. JMO.

Again, you will be happy with either of the mod furnaces. As long as the contractor knows how the unit works, and installs it properly.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast