Question Least expensive 2 stage, 4 ton Trane Central AC..which condenser and which AH?

I am currently getting quotes to replace my old/existing 4 ton central ac with a new one. At the moment I am looking at the Trane XB13 Condenser part number: 2TTB3048A and 2TEC Air Handler: 2TEC3F48A1000A.

I am on a very limited budget but I would like to explore the possibility of a 2 stage system. The trane website is a bit confusing to me so I am having a hard time figuring out which condenser, which air handler, and which thermostat would give me the least expensive 2 stage? I would like to have the part numbers for reference when I ask my contractor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Why would you want a 2-stage compressor when a single stage unit works just fine?

The XL16i has a 2-stage compressor. It will probably cost a few $k more than the 13 SEER. In my opinion, 14 SEER units provide the best combination of purchase price and true operating costs to the homeowner. EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio), not SEER, determines true operating costs.

FYI: American Standard makes Trane. A/S may be less expensive than Trane because they don't spend advertising $$ to the public.

By the way, I believe the XR13 has a 10 year compressor warranty while the XB13 has a 5 year compressor warranty.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the reply Gary. Much appreciated. I am a total newbie to this so I am not exactly sure what the benefits of the 2 stage would be...I thought they were better in high humidity areas?

In either case a few $K more is not possible for me. I thought it would be possible for say 1k more or so. I did not know it would be that much of a price difference.

2 stage is better in high humidity areas.

You may want to consider the 14 SEER with a VS blower. Should get you around a 15 SEER system. plus you will get better humidity control then using a standard blower.

Ask your contravtor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    2 stage is better in high humidity areas.

You may want to consider the 14 SEER with a VS blower. Should get you around a 15 SEER system. plus you will get better humidity control then using a standard blower.

Ask your contractor.

TreeDog:

BeenThere gives excellent advice. I would add that you specify a TXV (thermo-expansion valve) with your air handler. This will ensure a true 14 SEER system that rivals any 2-stage system in purchase price and true operating costs. A 10 year PARTS AND LABOR warranty from your contractor will provide additional piece-of-mind. Try to negotiate it into your sales price.

Best to you.

the 16i system which is 2 stage works great here in MN we use furnaces so I can't give you a a/h # I don't know them. If you think about it if your design load is a 3 ton, how many days do you need a 3 ton? 20? The rest of the season you are oversized, with a 2 stage you run at lower capacity unless you need the extra cooling. It is much better at dehumidifying. If you can afford it I would recommend the 2 stage if not 14i with vs airhandler. Insist on the VS in the long run it is worth the extra in energy saving compared to a 4 speed blower motor.
    You can't fix stupid