G.E. fused disconnect - Oh she disconnects alright, how about reconnecting!

Had this G.E. device shut down a critical HVAC unit a few days after servicing unit. I do an emergency run out to the job site and discover this. Now you know why this thing is laying in the back of my truck. This is not the only one doing this.

John

http://youtu.be/v4YnIFELgL8
    Inventor/Manufacturer:
    KoppLift™ Hand Truck Lifting Bar
    http://www.amazon.com/shops/JohnGKoppLLC
    Video
    http://youtu.be/FsSViwAEz7A

Old age, I know the symptons. Still just be grateful it disconnected. Many don't and there are times when all of the blades don't open.

I had that happen on a rooftop the installers were replacing.
    Called me because they couldn't get power up to the unit.
    Showed up, pushed in manually, ran great.

Told them to go *LITERALLY* 2 blocks down to get a new one.
    'but it works now.....'

Built in callback.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

One more thing about these commercial disconnects is I don't consider these to be safe when they are located in a residential setting. It seems a Kid that is curious about what's inside could open it and get electrocuted. Some interlock when the handle is on but turn it off and it can be opened with no dead plate. I would at least add a zip tie through the pad lock hole so it could not be opened by hand without tools. Even a commercial setting at ground level seems to be the same issue. Thoughts? Codes?
    Inventor/Manufacturer:
    KoppLift™ Hand Truck Lifting Bar
    http://www.amazon.com/shops/JohnGKoppLLC
    Video
    http://youtu.be/FsSViwAEz7A

Old age, disconnects do fail, dont see how this fits wall of shame. I have seen this many times, or the ones that open but dont close. Now regarding disconnects in residential settings or any setting I think the two pole 30 amp pull out type need to be banned. Having to open the cover to shut off power when you have no idea of what awaits inside bothers me. Plastic cover doesnt give me a sense of security as I have seen them fall out as the door is opened. As far as codes I am not sure but I believe disconnects and any electrical enclosure needs to be secured from unauthorized access and I dont think wire ties fit this requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    Old age, disconnects do fail, dont see how this fits wall of shame. I have seen this many times, or the ones that open but dont close. Now regarding disconnects in residential settings or any setting I think the two pole 30 amp pull out type need to be banned. Having to open the cover to shut off power when you have no idea of what awaits inside bothers me. Plastic cover doesnt give me a sense of security as I have seen them fall out as the door is opened. As far as codes I am not sure but I believe disconnects and any electrical enclosure needs to be secured from unauthorized access and I dont think wire ties fit this requirement.
    I keep a nice sized bolt cutter on my truck for the occasional "secured from unauthorized access" disconnect.

Just wrap on 'em with a nut driver - whatever awaits will come flying or crawling out...

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    I agree about the cheap pull out disconnects. I have pulled them out and one if the contacts breaks loose from the handle and stays in- especially the ones that look like a copper single edged razor blade. Pulled on one and the internal mounts broke and all the guts of it came out in my hand. Or you pull it and the whole box comes off the wall. Of course the customer is always standing there when that happens and says "You broke it-you fix it-- for free"

A crappy disconnect will be replaced at customers expense. Old disconnects fail all the time and so do new ones then if your lucky you run across the ones that are bypassed altogether that's always fun. just remember to always check for voltage at the unit.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    A crappy disconnect will be replaced at customers expense. Old disconnects fail all the time and so do new ones then if your lucky you run across the ones that are bypassed altogether that's always fun. just remember to always check for voltage at the unit.
    A crappy disconnect "should" be replaced at the customer's expense. The key is to mention that they should be able to be easily removed and replaced for unit serviceability, before you pull them out. This is true of all situations, if you tell the customer how it is supposed to work before you touch it, you're in a much stronger position. Sometimes its a dead giveaway, and AC condensing unit that is 17 years old and has never been serviced, is covered in rust and the disconnect is hanging by one rusted through screw after new siding was installed. Obviously, you cant always drag the 80 year old lady outside to look at things, which is why I take lots of pictures.

I've long since lost the "you touched it, you broke it" apprehension. I have to touch it to service it...and if doing so breaks it than it was broke to begin with...

parts increase proportionally if they say something like that to me
    Quote Originally Posted by cws110 View Post
    I agree about the cheap pull out disconnects. I have pulled them out and one if the contacts breaks loose from the handle and stays in- especially the ones that look like a copper single edged razor blade. Pulled on one and the internal mounts broke and all the guts of it came out in my hand. Or you pull it and the whole box comes off the wall. Of course the customer is always standing there when that happens and says "You broke it-you fix it-- for free"

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I've long since lost the "you touched it, you broke it" apprehension. I have to touch it to service it...and if doing so breaks it than it was broke to begin with...
    Damn straight.

I hook up to a hose bib, the hose bib breaks apart in my hand when I use it (plastic freeze prot kind). Not my fault. Who ever was gonna use it next was screwed.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted