Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooding

Flooding

After Hurrricane Katrina dealt New Orleans a tragic blow with massive flooding, some on this forum were callous enough to state that the Federal Government should not pay for rebuilding the Cresent City. I Just wonder how many feel the same about the masive flooding in the Midwest and if FEMA should pay to rebuild what is essentially the same damage as Katrina wrought. Most of the cities and towns are evidently located in a flood plain just as New Orleans is.
    Last edited by acmanko; 08-24-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling

FEMA should do what they were enacted to do, until such time as the taxpayers as a whole are saying no more FEMA.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    After Hurrricane Katrina dealt New Orleans a tragic blow with massive flooding, some on this forum were callous enough to state that the Federal Government should not pay for rebuilding the Cresent City. I Just wonder how many feel the same about the massive flooding in the Midwest and if FEMA should pay to rebuild what is essentially the same damage as Katrina wrought. Most of the cities and towns are evidently located in a flood plain just as New Orleans is.
    Is the Mid West under sea level?

Did the federal government pay to build the city in the first place?

The 9th Ward in New Orleans and a few more have been exempted from rebuilding to FEMA guidelines which means they can build back as they were under sea level while the rest of the country has billions added to their construction cost and is made to keep and hold flood insurance and build by FEMA guidlines.

If the cities that flooded were in fact in a flood plane then homes with a mortgage had flood insurance on them.

So where is the problem again?

Below sea level has nothing to do with the question. New Orleans was a City before any of the present places were even discovered.

Below sea level has nothing to do with the question. New Orleans was a City before any of the present places were even discovered.
    So you are on record as saying that in 1718. they built New Orleans below sea level? I think 1718 predates submarines and scuba suits.

I cherish the moments when you publish your IQ as being below that of cockroaches.

actually, NO was settled in 1718 , 14 feet above sea level.

leonardo da vinci drew plans for a submarine and the ancient egyptians have a picture of a submarine prior to 1718

Then actually you should of been prepared to support your thread because I clearly showed the difference in the two scenarios

leonardo da vinci drew plans for a submarine and the ancient egyptians have a picture of a submarine prior to 1718
    Another post showing why the operation that returned you to society took up valuable time a resources that could of been spent on a more worthy cause.

But it does show the similarities between the disaster in New Orleans and the disaster that is you.

Quote Originally Posted by James 3528 View Post
    Then actually you should of been prepared to support your thread because I clearly showed the difference in the two scenarios
    I believe you left out the darker side

They got there money. Let them rebuild some other place besides in a natural lake. Better still let you and all other sick bleeding hearts spend your money and time to insure them and take care of them next time the sea wants to reclaim that lake called the 9th ward. Can you add 2 + 2? Or has common sense left you completely. The only reason they are allowed back in is because the local Black politicians are playing the race card and idiots like you are crying with them. The folks in Florida are paying there own insurance at high rates and in some areas you can not get flood insurance but that is the way it should be. You can not build in a flood plain anywhere in the US except for the 9th Ward. There are areas along the Mississippi where you are no longer able to build including whole towns since the great flood 5 or 10 years ago. Think about it.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

well. I have thought about it, each State affected is in the Mississippi Watershed. And furthermore.< i have not stated how I feel about the subject, all I asked was 'should Fema pay for rebuilding towns that are evidently in a Flood plain,' take note , the flood plain may be caused by upstream developement making what was not a flood plain into one.

I don't think you know squat about FEMA. First off the flood insurance they require you to have on a mortgage is with a private company. So who should FEMA pay? The governments roll is insuring to insurers that they will enforce building ordnances though the National Flood Insurance Program. The money in the program comes from people paying the premiums. The Congress insures the program and the private companies in it with the assets from the US Treasury but only in the form of a loan that is paid back with interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...urance_Program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast