Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal? Worried we got screwed

Post Likes

Is this normal? Worried we got screwed

We have 2 Goodman A/C units. One apparently had a leaking coil, the freon was low. So, a tech came out to replace the coil and put a Super Booster in at the same time. He finished the job on Friday. Now, I'm noticing water dripping continuously from the outlet pipe on the 2nd floor that connects to the drip pan of this repaired A/C unit. It cools the upstairs and runs most of the day to keep it to 78 degrees. The outside temperature is 99 degrees. The other unit for the downstairs is not dripping condensation at all, but it doesn't run as much as the upstairs one I suspect.

We did not feel comfortable with the A/C company because I felt we got overcharged. But that's another story. I'm worried he did something wrong when he replaced the coil and installed the Super Booster, but don't see a connection between that and the condensation. And why only 1 of the 2 units would be doing that. My husband went up there in the attic and made sure it was water and not anything else leaking up there.

Anybody have ideas of whether the tech screwed up, or do I worry too much?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boski View Post
    We have 2 Goodman A/C units. One apparently had a leaking coil, the freon was low. So, a tech came out to replace the coil and put a Super Booster in at the same time. He finished the job on Friday. Now, I'm noticing water dripping continuously from the outlet pipe on the 2nd floor that connects to the drip pan of this repaired A/C unit. It cools the upstairs and runs most of the day to keep it to 78 degrees. The outside temperature is 99 degrees. The other unit for the downstairs is not dripping condensation at all, but it doesn't run as much as the upstairs one I suspect.

We did not feel comfortable with the A/C company because I felt we got overcharged. But that's another story. I'm worried he did something wrong when he replaced the coil and installed the Super Booster, but don't see a connection between that and the condensation. And why only 1 of the 2 units would be doing that. My husband went up there in the attic and made sure it was water and not anything else leaking up there.

Anybody have ideas of whether the tech screwed up, or do I worry too much?
    Were the Goodman installers driving a truck like this?

<pic removed>

Jabs
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-26-2007 at 05:14 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabarco View Post
    Were the Goodman installers driving a truck like this?

<pic removed>

Jabs
    No, they had a nice truck . They were not Goodman installers actually. They sell Lennox. But they are state licensed and the company itself has been around 30 years. Just not sure about this technician. He seemed like he was unsure of himself at times.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-26-2007 at 05:14 PM.

Post Likes
    that water is condensate (humidity) so its working hard removing it which it is suposed to do. as for leaking into the pan not sure without a pic. should just drain out and dump in a planter or into a plumbing drain depending on state and city code.

matt

Post Likes
    Just not sure about this technician. He seemed like he was unsure of himself at times.
    That might have been the helper. They usually are unsure of themselves. Kind of like the helper on the back of my Goodman service truck.

<pic removed>

Jabs
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-26-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Post Likes

Thumbs down

Keep trying there Jabs....... it might be funny to someone sooner or later....
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Post Likes
    Please refrain from your inflammatory posts. Any further posts of that nature will result in a suspension of your posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabarco View Post
    That might have been the helper. They usually are unsure of themselves. Kind of like the helper on the back of my Goodman service truck.

<pic removed>

Jabs
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    refrain myself your dumpster diving pics are getting old. You use them on every thread you post on.. Lets see if we can help the OP without bashing any ARI certified brands.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Please refrain from your inflammatory posts. Any further posts of that nature will result in a suspension of your posting privileges.

-Jabs

Post Likes
    Now, I'm noticing water dripping continuously from the outlet pipe on the 2nd floor that connects to the drip pan of this repaired A/C unit. It cools the upstairs and runs most of the day to keep it to 78 degrees. The outside temperature is 99 degrees. The other unit for the downstairs is not dripping condensation at all, but it doesn't run as much as the upstairs one I suspect.

We did not feel comfortable with the A/C company because I felt we got overcharged. Anybody have ideas of whether the tech screwed up, or do I worry too much?

First off be more clear- is it dripping from an emergency pan or the pan in the unit?

The emergency pan drain is typically ran out of a soffet and allowed to drip from there to the ground.

The condensate drain should be run to the ground and water should come out of a pipe thats at ground level.
    When your husband went to the attic did he see a lot of water in the pan UNDER the unit? If so then theres a problem with that unit.

Or theres a problem with the downstairs if it's not putting out water. Or are you running the upstairs at a temperature so low it's cooling the downstairs too?

About being overcharged, yea everyone feels that way. A/C service should be free we all know that.

Post Likes
    You condensate line for the downstairs condenser could be plugged up. It should at least flow drops of condensate out of it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    First off be more clear- is it dripping from an emergency pan or the pan in the unit?

The emergency pan drain is typically ran out of a soffet and allowed to drip from there to the ground.

The condensate drain should be run to the ground and water should come out of a pipe thats at ground level.
    When your husband went to the attic did he see a lot of water in the pan UNDER the unit? If so then theres a problem with that unit.

Or theres a problem with the downstairs if it's not putting out water. Or are you running the upstairs at a temperature so low it's cooling the downstairs too?

About being overcharged, yea everyone feels that way. A/C service should be free we all know that.

My husband isn't here to ask, but the pipe does come out of the soffet, so it sounds like the emergency pan. Could this be related to the replacement of the coil and installation of the Super Booster? We never noticed this until after the repair. I hope it's nothing serious and can be easily fixed.

As far as the overcharge, the company quoted me one price over the phone but when it came time to pay up, it was considerably more. Unfortunately, I didn't get the quote in writing and had no proof. I had called 2 other contractors and they quoted the same price, so I felt I was being quoted a good price. I understand nothing is free and was willing to pay the originally quoted price. I learned my lesson, get all quotes in writing.

If it is the emergency pan, I'm assuming this is bad news and I should stop running the A/C unit until it can be fixed. Otherwise, I would be risking overflow and water damage, right?

Post Likes
    I can name a bunch of things that might cause water in the pan.
    Drain line clogged, not really related to the outdoor coil replacement. Coincidence.

Leak in a joint when they replaced the coil, leak somewhere else in the system and the coil was replaced for no reason, all causing low refrigerant charge and icing up. Indoor coil dirty restricting airflow.
    Downstairs system not operating properly and the upstairs system is trying to cool the whole house and is sweating, dripping into the pan from running so long. Or a combination of all the above and more.

Thats it for now.
    Whats the upstairs and downstairs thermostat settings?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    I can name a bunch of things that might cause water in the pan.
    Drain line clogged, not really related to the outdoor coil replacement. Coincidence.

Leak in a joint when they replaced the coil, leak somewhere else in the system and the coil was replaced for no reason, all causing low refrigerant charge and icing up. Indoor coil dirty restricting airflow.
    Downstairs system not operating properly and the upstairs system is trying to cool the whole house and is sweating, dripping into the pan from running so long. Or a combination of all the above and more.

Thats it for now.
    Whats the upstairs and downstairs thermostat settings?
    The coil that was replaced was in the attic. He tested the outside unit and found no leak. I turned off the upstairs unit a few hours ago. The downstairs unit is kicking in now, and the first floor is cool, so that is not the problem. We set both the upstairs and downstairs themostat to 78. This never happened prior to the coil being replaced, so I think the tech must of done something wrong.

In any case, I will call the company who did the repair tomorrow. If they want more money to fix this new event, I'm going to be very suspicious and will be looking for another A/C company.

Post Likes
    part of that condensate flow is the system removing moisture that was built up in the house while the system was down, and the up-stairs unit will def run more meaning lots of flow, especially the first day or so. If its something they did they will prob just take care of it, If the system with the original coil and low charge wasnt working, how do you know this isnt normal for a system that is cooling properly!!!

matt

Post Likes
    Possible upstairs unit was not working..ie.... not removing moisture...... Now it is......

Everyone knows more than the A/C guy.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sline-dawg View Post
    Possible upstairs unit was not working..ie.... not removing moisture...... Now it is......

Everyone knows more than the A/C guy.....
    I thought there were 2 drains though, one that goes out through the sewer system and a second one that only drains from a drip pan underneath the unit if there is something wrong with main drain. At least, that is what I've been told and read. There should never be anything dripping from that emergency drain, unless the unit's main drain is not functioning correctly

Also, I want to turn the upstairs unit back on for the night, because it's 83 degrees up there and my kids sleep up there. Do you think this would be okay?

Post Likes
    If in fact it has ran previously for hours on end and not drained into the ceiling by now, you can probably turn it on for the night.

Post Likes
    I thought there were 2 drains though, one that goes out through the sewer system and a second one that only drains from a drip pan underneath the unit if there is something wrong with main drain. At least, that is what I've been told and read. There should never be anything dripping from that emergency drain, unless the unit's main drain is not functioning correctly

Also, I want to turn the upstairs unit back on for the night, because it's 83 degrees up there and my kids sleep up there. Do you think this would be okay?

They probably cracked the primary drain pan in the unit, on a horizontal attic application replacement coils don't come with the horizontal pan.

Post Likes

My apologies boski...... If this is a horizontal type system with an auxiliary drain pan.... The condensate should not drain into the pan..... You need to call them back to investigate.

If the pan is capable of handling the overflow then by all means use it..... tonight...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in