4TEE Air handler vs. XV90 Furnace

Hi All,
    I have a choice to install an air handler in my attic or gas furnace (as back-up heat) to go with my XL16i heat pump. Trane boasts that their top-ot-the-line air handler has 12 speeds while most other brands have 3 speeds. My question is: (1) Is the blower in the Trane air handler used in their XV90 gas furnace (2) Is the XL16i 2 stage cooling and 2 stage heating (Trane website talks about 2 stage cooling without saying anything about 2 stage heating)? (3) Is there a Trane zone control system on the market equivalent to the Carrier Infinity Zone Control Module, Infinity Damper Control Module and Remote System Access Module if not what is my best non-Carrier option for 4 Zone residential application? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas4 View Post
    Hi All,
    I have a choice to install an air handler in my attic or gas furnace (as back-up heat) to go with my XL16i heat pump. Trane boasts that their top-ot-the-line air handler has 12 speeds while most other brands have 3 speeds. My question is: (1) Is the blower in the Trane air handler used in their XV90 gas furnace (2) Is the XL16i 2 stage cooling and 2 stage heating (Trane website talks about 2 stage cooling without saying anything about 2 stage heating)? (3) Is there a Trane zone control system on the market equivalent to the Carrier Infinity Zone Control Module, Infinity Damper Control Module and Remote System Access Module if not what is my best non-Carrier option for 4 Zone residential application? Thanks.
    post quick reply.

not sure where your at, dual fuel would be nice, you still need to run a gas line to the attic and install the vents. there will also be a condensate for the furnace in addition to one for the a/c.

If I had a choice I would do the gas furnace with the heat pump coil and condensor you have. As far as zoning trane does have some but the honeywell system may be a beter choice. Have them do outside temp at the stat as well, its a nice little feature. dont forget to get at least a merv 8 filter on this thing as well.

matt

matt

will attic space get below freezing? If so I would go electric backup, or xv80 furnace.
    You can't fix stupid

xv90 you would just have to run a seperate insulated drain.

matt

what if the unit goes down in the winter and freezes? Not good.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    what if the unit goes down in the winter and freezes? Not good.

not sure what you are sugesting, I recomended the dual fuel, what is it with your 2 posts you are recomending?

matt

Here in MN I would not install condensing furnaces in an attic due to extreme cold temps, I would install a 80% 2 stage xv80 gas furnace or an electric a/h. I have had condensing furnaces break down in unconditioned mechanical rooms and the results are very damaging(frozen traps,heatexchangers, inducers, ect.)
    You can't fix stupid

gotcha, so you still say gas just 80% (depending on where he is located which we dont know)

matt

exactly. Servicemans nightmare at 3 am here
    Luckily our systems are normally in a basement.
    You can't fix stupid

haven't come across that yet, just moved to idaho and all my splits in attics are 80% and the 90% are in closets so I dont need to worry I guess (commercial). I was told you just had to insulate the drain line, but maybe better off not installing up there just to be safe.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mstrav View Post
    not sure where your at, dual fuel would be nice, you still need to run a gas line to the attic and install the vents. there will also be a condensate for the furnace in addition to one for the a/c.

If I had a choice I would do the gas furnace with the heat pump coil and condensor you have. As far as zoning trane does have some but the honeywell system may be a beter choice. Have them do outside temp at the stat as well, its a nice little feature. dont forget to get at least a merv 8 filter on this thing as well.

matt

matt
    I live in south eastern Virginia. I have noted the freeze advice on the XV90's - thanks. I'm tossing around the idea of just using an air handler in the attic and then for winter heating, buying one of these WALL - HUNG modulating, condensing gas boilers (Baxi HT330/TrinityTi150C/Prestige Solo 175/Buderus GB142/Quantum Q95M-200/etc) for hydronic and Domestic Hot Water but as you can see the choice is tougher than an attic installed gas furnace. Help, y'all.