Leak repair - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leak repair

This is a pinch off tool. Most techs dont know about these anymore it seems. You can pinch a line off in two spots, as in each side of the leak. Braze the leak closed, and open the pipe back up. If you have space, you can put an access port in to vacuum or what not..

I'd like to call BS on this!

Quote Originally Posted by smeq View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and describe a repair I observed my 31-years-experienced refrigeration mentor perform on a charged R22 supermarket case that was fully charged. It had an obvious pinhole leak with lots of clearance above it to solder. He positioned the stick of silphos about ten inches over the leak and aimed the torch flame at the end of the solder, causing molten blobs to fall onto the leak. It sealed instantly. I have not done this myself but his trick saved the day. We were able to later pump down and replace the bad joint.

It didnt seal the leak..just covered it up so it couldn't be seen.

I've used the pinch off tool on hydronic piping but not refrigerant lines. Soft copper can be easily be cut in half (experience). Hard copper is pretty easy to do. Not saying it can't be done on refrigeration but I would prefer recover it pump down with purge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's refreshing to pull your head out of the box when servicing a system.

I almost always use soft copper. Less joints to leak and easier to work with.
    I have never brazed on a saddle valve unless the system was pumped down. Torch puts out more heat than a bad compressor.
    QUOTE=absoair;18187541]I've used the pinch off tool on hydronic piping but not refrigerant lines. Soft copper can be easily be cut in half (experience). Hard copper is pretty easy to do. Not saying it can't be done on refrigeration but I would prefer recover it pump down with purge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Joe. I was there and saw it. No leak with soap bubbles. Refrepairman, do you often call bs without investigation?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

we all have tried stupid thing and succeeded, but were all just playing with fire!!!!

There's nothing wrong with a bandaid to stop the bleeding while you arrange for the final fix. In this case it worked.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

So how does molten solder stick to a cold piece of copper?

Full face shield, long sleeves and a lot of beer before I'd attempt that!

I'll be honest, I actually tried to pull this off one time. Nothing blew up but it kept a pin hole leak no matter how much I gobbed on there.

In retrospect it was a bad idea and I'll chalk it up to being inexperienced at the time.

It will take your breath away, if you get a whiff of it.

I did it once on a low side lin. I just shoved the stick into the pin hole and let it cool. It did stop the leak. Probably didn't do the system any good.
    We were all young and foolish once. Some still are.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123