Heat N Glow Escape 42 Inch Fireplace

I was going to buy a Heat n Glow 6000 GLX but I got a great deal on an Escape 42 inch from the same dealer. The dealer will install either unit.
    I really like the look of the Escape but it does not have a blower. It will heat from 35,000 to 52,000 btu's.
    Will this unit still give me a lot of radiant heat? How does it compare to the 6000 GLX in heat and quality? We will put stacked stone around whichever one we buy. I just think the Escape looks better but I do need some emergency heat if the electricity goes off.
    Thanks for your responses.

Cool

Either unit will cook you out of there.

Since the 6GLX has a fan, it may seem more versatile. With the WSK-300 wall control, it can modulate the flame and fan to match your comfort level. The Escape was patterned after a Rumford fireplace with the tall, square viewing area so you get a lot of radiant heat. Also, you have decorative fronts with the 6K while the Escape relies more on the clean faced surround. Pay close attention to those clearances and the requisite non-combustible board. If the Escape is to be installed on the floor, you must plan on a 12"x42" non-combustible floor protection but not if it is raise 4" off the floor. Check the manual as this may have changed. I recommend the WSK-300 wall control for the 6GLX while the Escape can use a WSK-MLT, which will still give a hi-lo flame height control but no fan. Either fireplace runs off their Intellifire IPI ignition system, which can operate with 2 'D' cell batteries during a power failure. PAy close attention to the venting requirements including minimum rise off the top before any elbows, etc.

Both are great units. The Escape is a PIA to service since the valve is crammed in on the left side but the unit works great. Both are great choices. Read the install manual closely, plan ahead, and enjoy!

Just FYI, the Escape 42 is not the easiest to get to the battery pack if you need to put them in during an emergency, and you also have to flip a little switch on the control module behind the refractories. You would also need a switch installed behind there to turn it on an off. Basically what I am saying, is the Escape series is not really meant to run off the battery pack in case of a power outage. It is possible, but not very easy.

The WSK-300 that comes with the GLX will operate totally off batteries and will auto-switch to battery mode when power is lost. Much more user friendly.

Both unit will put out plenty of heat. The 6000 line has a metal firebox (lined with refractories for enhanced look), and some of the heat will transfer through there. The fan helps to circulate that heat and blow it out into the room. The 6000GLX has ceramic glass also to help radiate more heat though it. The Escape-42 has a full firebrick firebox, this reflects a lot of heat back into the unit and also through the ceramic glass. This is one of the reasons it has no fan, the other being that the clean-face look limits the airflow in the bottom and out the top.

I sweat plenty when working on either of these.

So which one would you recommend? Is there an easier way to get the Escape to work on the battery pack in case of no electricity? I need backup heat in case of no electricity.
    There is about 1,000 difference between the cost of the units installed.

They are both great fireplaces.

Escape- If your dealer has a good service tech it should not be much trouble to run the battery pack and extra switch to the side of the unit so it could be gotten to from an access panel, or you could put the battery pack in a double gang wall box and also put the switch on the box. You would still have to take the side refractory off and flip a little switch on the MLT module.

You could also buy a WSK-300 and see if they will install it on Escape. I don't think it is tested with it though, and from the heat of that unit it could melt it or make it malfunction. With that wall control battery mode is automatic if the batteries are in and working.

6000GLX - Will do what you want out of the box.

I just found out the Escape-36DV and Escape-42DV are "immediately" starting to ship with a "Battery Backup Kit". I have no idea what the kit comes with but I assume it is to resolve all the issues I mentioned above.

Cool

I guess if you had to, you could route the wires throug the gas knockout and install an access hatch in the side of the chase where you had access to the battery backup pack. The Escape is a very hot fireplace. When it first launched, it was melting remotes left and right so pay attention to what goes where.

Personally, I like the Escape. That stacked corner look is cool, whether with a flame or just the light. In fact, I rebuilt a masonry Fp that way once. The 6K GLX is a great unit but some may not like that 'mature flame' look, which means a shorter, broader fire. Some like tall flames like the Escape. To each his own!

Thanks so much for everyones help. I am going with the Escape 42 inch fireplace. The dealer thanks they can set it up to where it is easy to operate in case of a power failure.
    They have been in contact with Heat & Glow.

Quote Originally Posted by wscsteve View Post
    Thanks so much for everyones help. I am going with the Escape 42 inch fireplace. The dealer thanks they can set it up to where it is easy to operate in case of a power failure.
    They have been in contact with Heat & Glow.
    Make sure they get one of the new units that come with the Battery Backup Kit. Sounds like you have a dealer with a competent service person. You are going to LOVE that fireplace!

One tip of advise, when putting the surround materials on the unit make sure not to overlap the metal returns on the sides and top. If you come in any closer than those the glass WILL NOT come off and the unit will not be servicable. If the facing projects out from the uint make sure it does not pass over those metal returns at all.