+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hot and slow

Post Likes

hot and slow

we have been very warm this month, 95+ for most of the month. people have been sent home early and have not been getting there 40. I have been told it is a light pm month and we must be doing good on pms so we are not getting the service calls. to me it is that we have lost customers and are slow. i am worried about the slow time coming up called winter. i like where i work and don't want to leave. should i take this as a warning sign of what might be to come, or am i just a bit worried because i worked at places that have gone from good to bad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sfry View Post
    we have been very warm this month, 95+ for most of the month. people have been sent home early and have not been getting there 40. I have been told it is a light pm month and we must be doing good on pms so we are not getting the service calls. to me it is that we have lost customers and are slow. i am worried about the slow time coming up called winter. i like where i work and don't want to leave. should i take this as a warning sign of what might be to come, or am i just a bit worried because i worked at places that have gone from good to bad.
    WOW! I can't catch a break in this heat. I would think something peculiar is going on at your job. We have been balls to the wall, and no sign of relief.

Post Likes
    We have been starting each day with only 1 or 2 service calls on the books, but except for a handful of days where I got off a bit early, I have been working until after 7pm most nights. Only started with one call scheduled today, but ended up working solid until 9:30pm, heh.

Post Likes

Smile Check out Bozeman, MT

Quote Originally Posted by ckone180 View Post
    WOW! I can't catch a break in this heat. I would think something peculiar is going on at your job. We have been balls to the wall, and no sign of relief.
    We're hiring,
    Last edited by Admin; 08-26-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Post Likes
    Things been slow for Twilli too. Twilli been picking tomatoes, Twilli used to be migrant worker
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    It's back to skool time and if the a/c ain't broke, don't fook with it!

That is what I think customers are thinking right now. Next week things will be back to normal, bells to the well service calls and replacements.
    Read, read, read!

Post Likes
    I was in the same boat you were in a beggining of summer, it was hot and the company I worked for was slow and everybody was going home early unless you worked in the office. Other companies were booked with work, I was being sent home 2-3 days a week so I found a better job, now where I work there is so much work there isn't any doubt about getting 40hrs. I also got a jump in pay got a 50% raise switching companies and a brand new van.

Post Likes
    Same thing here, it's been warm escpecially the first part of the month, and we've been working half days and less. It's pretty unusual. I think it was even slower than in the waning days of heating season.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Things been slow for Twilli too. Twilli been picking tomatoes, Twilli used to be migrant worker

used to be migrant worker? your still not?
    Hey send uncle Bill some of them there mators.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes

Cool

This is a joke right?

Post Likes

Thumbs up

It has been a little slow for me too. I really cannot complain seeing how we just started doing residential and commercial work starting in May. Refrigeration work is keeping us going.

Post Likes
    slowest i've seen in 13 years of this trade for a record breaking summer...little bit of repair work calls,no maintenance calls hardly,and only sold a couple pieces of equipment so far this year....maybe i'm too picky about my work,but i don't care.......i'd rather do 30 jobs and make money-than 300 and lose money.

Post Likes
    We've had plenty to do this summer, but never really got too far behind like we have at times in years past in service. We have 12 service techs right now and most days we start off with a call or two under each and almost always end up with a couple of them working til dark or later. It seems to come and go, but it does take a lot of calls to keep 12 guys busy, so we have been fortunate. The residential install crews are about 2 weeks behind, as is usual for them this time of year. The commercial crews have a couple large jobs that will carry them til about Christmas, so we are doing pretty good really.

Post Likes
    we have been busy here .. there is the occasional day that i will leave early but i get paid 8 a day at the minimum no matter what ..i never understood how a company that is service oriented can be slow during summer months .. there is too much work out there .. just my thought

Post Likes
    it all is making scence. was fired today over not much. someone the other day was yell at for stupid stuff, thought he was going to be gone to. no warning. i guess you find customers or make mountains out of mole hills to get rid of techs to keep the others going. if we didn't slowed down anymore i would have been looking so i guess they started me looking a little sooner.

Post Likes

Frown sorry

sorry to hear sfry. Probably was good for you though. I had a couple of gigs that leaving was better. no matter how we parted ways. I am an owner now and I have been on both sides of the fence. Most contractors do not know how to treat techs.

Post Likes
    At least now you can get unemployment while you look for a better gig.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes

Backed up on the installs for about 2 months, service slow

did i mention you need a new unit?

Post Likes
    maybe i'm too picky about my work,but i don't care.......i'd rather do 30 jobs and make money-than 300 and lose money.[/QUOTE]

Good attitude, Seems everyone asks if you're keeping busy but it's better to ask if you're staying profitable.

A few years ago I got caught up in a program that my equipment manufacturer was pushing and tried to really push my sales and I hired more guys to handle the installations. What I found out was that more sales does not equal more profits and the only people that made out on all my work was the distributer. I had days in the middle of Summer that if I didn't close on a sale that day I was going to have to send people home. It made for a lot of stress and I actually made less money.

Just looking back on my own experience, I would take a hard look at the place I was working. Are they holding the place up with sales, or is there a solid base of repeat service customers?

My experience has been that service drives sales. We're booked through Oct. on installations and my service guys are working Saturdays, and we are just starting to get some furnace clean and check calls.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in