Fujitsu vs. LG minisplit heat pumps

Looking at mini-split heat pump system solution for my 2000sf 2-level SoCal home which has no ducting or attic space. Most likely going with one dual-zone + one tri-zone. Choosing between Fujitsu and LG.

What are typical problems & breakdown frequency with minisplit heat pumps in general? Are they generally energy efficient below freezing temps in the 20-32F range?

We're considering LG's "Art Cool" units, which are very appealing visually, but concerned about reliability vs. Fujitsu. I see very little discussion about the LG minisplits - howcome, are they just a small player?).

Would appreciate any recommendations & good/bad experiences with LG & Fujitsu minisplits.

Quote Originally Posted by herbl View Post
    Looking at mini-split heat pump system solution for my 2000sf 2-level SoCal home which has no ducting or attic space. Most likely going with one dual-zone + one tri-zone. Choosing between Fujitsu and LG.

What are typical problems & breakdown frequency with minisplit heat pumps in general? Are they generally energy efficient below freezing temps in the 20-32F range?

We're considering LG's "Art Cool" units, which are very appealing visually, but concerned about reliability vs. Fujitsu. I see very little discussion about the LG minisplits - howcome, are they just a small player?).

Would appreciate any recommendations & good/bad experiences with LG & Fujitsu minisplits.
    Lg reckon they are the biggest seller in the split market in the world so hardly a small player. However they flooded the market and they went on cutting cost/quality to compete against the Japanese. Personally I wouldn't give one house room. Use the search for more info.

The performance naturally drops off as temps dip but again the Japanese makes are higher seers at these temps.

I agree LG took the advantage with the artcool and it's about the best looker around but the Daikin FTXG isn't too bad.

http://www.daikin.co.uk/aircondition...ems/FTXG-E.jsp

Cheers

Richard

I would go with the Fugitsu. These are really great units. I have installed quite a few and love the way they work. Also excellent quality, just as good or better than a mitsu and alot cheaper.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

Before you decide I would physically look at both evaporators (part inside)

in my opinion the art cool is really a dumb idea. So you can mount a picture on the blower, the picture is going to be hanging 8 inches off the wall, duh.

Just install the Fujitzu, it will look like a cooling system, everybody is going to know the other one is a cooling system anyway.

Fujitzu's are no problem, they just about tell you what is wrong with them when they break (which isn't very often).

The biggest problem with Art Cool is the placement of the blower, your friends are going to ask you why the picture is hung above eye level, or why refrigerant piping is sticking out of the middle of your outside wall.

i got 2 fujitsu's

in a computer room running 24x7 for 2 years straight. No issues.
    I suggest seeing if wall/ceiling universal unit is better looking under a window.
    http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/universal.htm

Thx for the tip on Daikin's FTXG-E - they look very nice & seem to have all the best features. I followed up with Daikin rep & discovered (to my disappointment) these are not available yet in California & there is no ETA on when they will be. Even the Daikin 4-way multisplits are not yet available here, so we are stuck with dual-zone multi's only until at least spring of 2008 (per DaikinAC sales engineer). So, the only alternative currently available in this locale for Daikin with >2 zones is the VRV-S (which everyone says costs some 30-40% more).

This is an encouraging post for Fujitsu multi splits, thank you.

They sound to be quite flexible in operating under a wide range of ambient conditions and cooling requirements. My own post on this subject went over like a lead ballon on this forum. I think I hear what I was hoping for, a very flexible unit.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-02-2013 at 05:32 AM. Reason: non AOP Member

Professor007

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

6 year old thread, thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?