+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carrier Controls

Post Likes

Carrier Controls

Carrier came in today to sell us there i-Vu system. Looks impressive but we only want to control the Chillers without any internet connections. What would you recommend?

Post Likes
    There is also ComfortView or a WebBox that will allow you to control the chiller. I-Vu is the new Carrier front end that will be replacing CView. Not sure if they have stop offering CView yet.

With this in mind, it might be better to get the newest software versus software they are probably discontinuing. CView does not work on Windows Vista yet and not sure if they plan an update. With the purchase of ALC, the will be offering new devices in the future. If you add the new devices down the road and go with older software now, you may need to upgrade the software later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    What they showed us looks impressive but we don’t want to run the entire operation from the chiller plant. Just a simple upgrade from Chillervisor. All we have is 4 Chillers. No interface between the chiller plant and the main buildings.

Post Likes

could be a hassle

So if i understand correctly you have to go to the power plant to see problems that arise. whithout the ability to see the from a remote location.ie...your desk. Bummer!!!

Post Likes
    As I understand your scenario your options would be this:
    1. Run a CCN Comms cable from the chiller plant all the way to your PC, buy Carrier ComfortView Software, an RS232-485 converter and then instal and setup on the PC. (this is standalone and gives you full control and monitoring)

2. Instal a phone line near the chillers, buy a Telink (Carrier dial in modem device), buy CView software, and an RS232-485 converter. This will allow you to dial into the chillers from your PC, but is an expensive option these days.

3. Instal a phone line near the chillers, buy a CCNWeb (Carrier CCN web server) then simply setup the Web server, go to your PC and dial into the webserver, and there you go you have full monitoring and control without any special software. This is the simplest and probably most inexpensive setup. The I-VU CCN is nice but wouldn't suit your application.

Post Likes
    Run Forest Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

Post Likes
    Presently I can view and operate from the chiller plant on a 1998 Toshiba lap top, or the PIC on each machine. It may be old & slow but no problem while I’m there. It’s the 2nd, 3rd and weekend shifts. Try talking someone through CCN with the noise of the chillers in the background, Not an easy task.
    Were just looking for something that’s a little more user friendly. And no we are NOT allowed an internet or wireless connection.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Presently I can view and operate from the chiller plant on a 1998 Toshiba lap top, or the PIC on each machine. It may be old & slow but no problem while I’m there. It’s the 2nd, 3rd and weekend shifts. Try talking someone through CCN with the noise of the chillers in the background, Not an easy task.
    Were just looking for something that’s a little more user friendly. And no we are NOT allowed an internet or wireless connection.
    Using Service Tool?

Sounds like CCNWeb may be your best option. You can run the CCN bus between the chillers and then to the CCNWeb. You can access the CCNWeb with your existing laptop box with a Cat-5 cross-over cable since you cannot have internet. Then all you use in Internet Explorer to view the chillers. You will be able to view all the tables you see in the PIC's. If the standard graphics dont suite your needs, custom ones can be created.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes

Pecmsg

Sounds like Balibe has good info, on a solution. Our opperations run through a "Metysis" network. Don't ask me how it works!! We can log onto the system from any pc with internet connection and control and monitor from a remote location.
    Regards,
    faucet

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in