Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALC Help

ALC Help

I have a building that has 2 diferent controls, the newer section has a LGE connected to the wokstation, and several UNI/32's and S6104's.
    The older section has several TNI's connected to some T-Cards (T-540's)
    The TNI's connect to a GCM2...
    My question is, can I connect the GCM2 controller to the newer section using
    the LGE? and if I can, is there some "gateway" that will interface both systems
    (I was told that one was ARC156, and the other Legacy)
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Is your end result to have one GUI? If so the GCM2 would have to go. Then you could use WebCTRL as the front end.

Thanks for the response control$, to answer your question, yes I would like to have just one GUI, the computer onsite currently is running supervision plus, is there a way to integrate both systems, after removing the GCM2?
    Will the older legacy controllers comunicate on the newer ARC156?
    Is upgrading the front end to WebCTRL the only solution?
    TIA
    Last edited by AutomationTech; 08-22-2007 at 11:55 AM.

ALC product is categorized by its revision code; exec.4 is old, exec.6 is newer, and exec. b is newest.

exec.6 modules cannot abide on the same bus as exec.b. but both exec.6 and exec.b modules can speak ARC156, just not on the same bus segment.

you can assign an ethernet router to each bus segment and both routers can speak to WebCTRL to get both segments on WebCTRL.

you can pass data between the two bus segments by loading programs into the two routers to "translate" bacnet to ALC's old propriatary protocol and vice-versa.

being peer-to-peer, this data passing happens without the involvment of the webctrl server.

Hmm

Thanks drafty888, so I do have to upgrade to WebCTRL in order to have both systems "talk" to each other, right?

Thanks

the short answer is YES, but only because you need to CONFIGURE the communications between the two systems using WebCTRL. Once communications are configured, you could take the front end right off the job and communications would work fine. But it's better to have both on WebCTRL anyway, because then you have a single front end for alarming, trending, etc.

Thanks drafty888, I guess that is the only way then, I will look into getting the current version of supervision upgraded, or maybe I can find a copy of WebCTRL that I can use temporarily on my laptop to perform the database configuration.....
    Thanks

You will need to use SiteBuilder to make the changes to the database. It should come with WebCTRL. Good luck in finding a demo copy. I have heard that ALC has a "student" or "educational" version of Eikon (I haven't been able to every find it) but I have never seen a demo copy of either SiteBuilder or WebCTRL. You can't (to my knowledge) just upgrade Supervision to WebCTRL, you will have to install it and if I remember correctly upgrade the firmware in any card that is connected to the WebCTRL ARC156, you could use another LGE or LGRME and it should be able to communicate to the legacy controllers and to WebCTRL via ethernet (I could be wrong on this it has been 5+ years and WebCTRL 1.5 [WebCTRL 3.0 was the latest/current version I know about] since I work for an ALC dealer).

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Thanks kontrol, I guess this is turning out to be a lot more that I had anticipated....
    By the way, I do have a copy of the "free" educational version of Ikon, while an apprentice at my local Air Conditioning Union, one of the classes was controls, and the teacher was an ALC dealer, he was kind enough to give me a copy of it....

Nice pickup on Eikon.
    Eikon is a great programming tool, even though the last 4 years have been line code, you could still use Eikon to create you flowcharts and get a "visual" on the program. I have a old WebCTRL 1.5 disk and software license floating around but I have never installed it, having 3 other BACnet enabled software on my laptop seemed enough, if I ever find the disks I'll probably load it just to have (the rev probably won't even talk to new ALC controllers). Best of luck with your project.

kontrol out
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Thanks kontrol....I guess I will needs lots of that to complete this project, what appeared to be a simple "add" to the system has turned out to be a complete "upgrade" on the front end side....
    any ideas where I might be able to find some "tech" support?

I worked for a ALC dealer for 4 years and not once could I call tech support. They wouldn't talk to you unless you had been to training or certified by them (which I hadn't). I know a couple of guys north of LA but they are super busy and probably wouldn't have time. You can go on to ALC's website and find local reps under the contact us section. I've been away for too long to be of any real help.

kontrol out

It's pretty straight forward., but it's easy after a dozen times. You'll need the right tools and info. Old databases and controls could get messy, so I would get a dealer. In LA you got 4 to choose from.
    Is an existing Supervision front end on site? If not did they leave a copy of the database?
    You will need to change the GCM2 to a LGE. (you need a Ethernet port)
    Change the EDB to reflex this. And then merge the databases.
    If your working with Supervision your done or install WebCTRL and upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast