Honeywell EBI w/ Bacnet?

Honeywell EBI w/ Bacnet?

Does anyone have experience integrating bacnet to EBI? I have heard the bacnet driver can be problematic - has this been anyone's experience too?

Thanks.

EBI utilizes BACstac as its BACnet protocol stack. It can work with most of the BACnet/IP devices since they are strong enough to survive EBI's frequent request of point information. If the connected controller is survived, EBI provides a pretty good and wide range of BACnet functions that matches what's in the controller.

Cons:
    Somehow, EBI BACnet developer thought that all BACnet controllers are industrial-level high performance. As a result, I saw some BACnet routers and MS/TP controllers are choked and sent into a state of shock.

EBI does not have a good tolerance of functional but "not-properly-configured" BACnet objects.
    Last edited by leaflying; 08-20-2007 at 04:27 PM.

EBI seems to work well with BACNet/Ip devices (now, it used to be very different in the past)

Make sure that EBI is at Rev 310 with all the latest service packs and updates applied.

Most of the recent updates involve BACNet issues

we are attempting to integrate honeywell data into Apogee via EBI bacnet server and apogee bacnet client. it is not working so far. no one at honeywell seems to know how to set-up the EBI bacnet server.

thanks for the good feedback.

Do you all suppose that integrating Modbus to EBI would be easier? The main reason I was hoping to stay with a Bacnet integration is for standardized alarming, and also in the event that EBI's Bacnet server supports autodiscovery, it would be easier to pull in data points.

Even it's possible to figure it out, I personally just don't want to waste time on it. EBI is developed for its developers only, not for others. Supposedly, it's based on a HW industrial level platform and should be very powerful. But I saw its fragile base and dramatically different ways of configuring different things. Not a very good UI.

On the other hand, in Tridium, I am happy with its consistent ways of doing different things. You figure out one thing, try it on other places, usually it works. And every time when I feel there should be a better to do things, 95% of the chance I can find it by creating a program object or a new module. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by contrlguy View Post
    we are attempting to integrate honeywell data into Apogee via EBI bacnet server and apogee bacnet client. it is not working so far. no one at honeywell seems to know how to set-up the EBI bacnet server.

I would stay with BACnet client, since it's free (Modbus is a chargeable option). As far as I know, EBI supports BACnet intrinsic alarming pretty good. But, just a reminder, there are other types of alarming.

EBI Modbus is OK. But I was a little disappointed that you have to type in some raw strings (You have to find them in HELP) to configure points instead of a more descriptive drop down list, and it does not support scaling the incoming register value at the point level.

Quote Originally Posted by drafty888 View Post
    thanks for the good feedback.

Do you all suppose that integrating Modbus to EBI would be easier? The main reason I was hoping to stay with a Bacnet integration is for standardized alarming, and also in the event that EBI's Bacnet server supports autodiscovery, it would be easier to pull in data points.

drafty888, are you using EBI BACnet server or BACnet client?
    BACnet client supports auto discovery, whereas BACnet server requires manual configuration.
    BACnet client supports intrinsic and algorithmic alarming whereas BACnet server only supports intrinsic.

Does anyone know if issues integrating bacnet to Symmetre/EBI have been resolved since these posts? I am trying to integrate 2 x N30's to a Symmetre system (R310 SP4). However they only stay online for a couple of seconds. If I cycle power they get back and I can discover them in Quickbuilder as well as discover them using the 'whois' command. Any comments?