+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nice floor registers....

Post Likes

Nice floor registers....

This is at my new house. Pretty funny actually. It's hard to tell but it's so mashed up there's almost no air coming out.

This is but the tip of the iceberg with the ductwork. Manual J says ~55k btu (0f - 70f), furnace is 73k btu yet the house struggles to get to temperature. There's no airflow. Wall stack for trunks serving multiple rooms, kinked and bunched flex duct everywhere... I was hoping to chip away at it but now I think I'm just going to scrap it all and start over.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -=David=-

Post Likes
    You're going to have fun.

Post Likes
    +++ I was hoping to chip away at it but now I think I'm just going to scrap it all and start over. +++

There's never enough time to do it right. But always time for someone (like you) to do it over.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icesailor View Post
    +++ I was hoping to chip away at it but now I think I'm just going to scrap it all and start over. +++

There's never enough time to do it right. But always time for someone (like you) to do it over.
    Yup...

I love metal, but this almost makes me want to get the tools to do ductboard and flex duct just so I can show people how to do it correctly. I'm a noob in the field but already my work is better than a most. I've found that the difference between hacking it together and doing it right is usually allotting an extra 10% on your time.

This house is full of shoddy work. The bones are good, but whoever came in after really mucked things up. There was tile work on the wall where they tacked up cardboard as a backer and used liquid nails to attach the tile to the cardboard. It looks like poo so I'm glad they did it that way as it only took me a minute to rip it all off...

Oh and then there's the vented propane fireplace that they were burning pine boards in...
    -=David=-

Post Likes
    If you're going to do tile, and you need a wet saw, Lowe's sells a really nice one that does the job for $300.00. Sliding table, pump and stand.

Best money I ever spent.

If you can do duct board, you can do tile. Same square and offsets.

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    HF sells a 10" wet tile saw for $150.00 w/ stand. I've used the hell out of mine.

Post Likes
    Is it a "Table Saw" stile or an overhead blade style saw like a radial arm saw type? I looked at the table types but I prefer the overhead types. I almost bought a H&S $600+ wet saw but tried the $300 Kobalt one. You just need to be religious about using a Speed Square to check for square on the rip fence/protractor. It even has a Laser sight on the blade.

I ordered the whole 1100' as one run/batch. That's not what I got. It came in too batch's and the runs were mixed so the slight differences in tile in tile dimensions caused some problems.

Any wet say is better than a dry cutter. Especially with hard tile like quarry tile. Try taking 1/2" off of quarry tile without a wet saw. And not have any wasted tile.

Post Likes
    I've done tile before. I have the table saw version, but I'll have to try the overhead one, it looks easier.
    -=David=-

Post Likes
    I bought a modular home a while back, told them i didn't want a floor register in the kitchen because of that. my first winter my floor was warm. I found that all they did was drop the flex and register in the joist and left it

that summer replaced the entire duct system.

Post Likes
    Its like a Makita hand grinder with a carbide blade in it, clamped above the table. You can pivot the blade. What's really nice is the laser sight light. You will always know which side of the line you will cut. If you have to do a cheat angle to follow an out of square wall and cut say 1/8" less off of one side of a 12"X12" tile, you can see if you have the protractor correct before you cut. You can't do that with a table type saw. The water comes down from the top instead of the other way around, from the bottom. If I had rented a saw, for as many times as I used it, I could have bought the $600 saw. It's convenient to have so you don't have to stop. Mortar doesn't stay plastic and usable for all that long.

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    I cut tile outside so I don't need a laser light to find my line.
    My cheapo HF 10" saw- blade & motor is overhead, has a plastic drip tray/well with a pump in the well.
    Has a carriage the moves work to the blade. Will handle a 21" long cut using the table stop, more if you think outside the box.
    Pump & blade is the only thing I've ever had to replace. It's big enough to cut brick & pavers too.
    I've ran thousands of feet of tile through that saw. If it died tomorrow, it owes me nothing. I would go back & buy another one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra2411 View Post
    This is at my new house. Pretty funny actually. It's hard to tell but it's so mashed up there's almost no air coming out.

This is but the tip of the iceberg with the ductwork. Manual J says ~55k btu (0f - 70f), furnace is 73k btu yet the house struggles to get to temperature. There's no airflow. Wall stack for trunks serving multiple rooms, kinked and bunched flex duct everywhere... I was hoping to chip away at it but now I think I'm just going to scrap it all and start over.
    That looks like the work of of my competitors.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in